Minelab SDC2300 or GPX4000 / GPX4500 / GPX5000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took the words right out of my mouth Old Hand.
It is a dynamite coil on small stuff.

I have had an ATX for 2 years and only found crap, I got an old 4500, 2008, early this year and have paid for it +. My biggest nug I would have found with the ATX, but thr rest; 1.15g to 0.09g , I would not have. I have been over the area with the ATX, and then found the small bits with the 4500.
I cannot recomend the ATX for small gold.
Stay with the 4000 and try some newer coils,

limpalot said:
I cannot recomend the ATX for small gold.

Q: Could you really (in all honesty, with a clear conscience) recommend someone spend hard-earned money on the Garrett ATX for any type of gold detecting in Australian goldifelds?

A: No

My brother purchased an sdc2300 a short time ago and while he likes it he is frustrated by the limited settings and been locked into one coil.
Matt T

Goltzy, i think that if you are comfortable and enjoy your 4000 then a coil upgrade is all you need.

Really depends on your circumstances and that is the biggest factor in the decision. I have met alot of happy sdc owners who like having a quality detector but it is an add on to their camping/touring experience.

I know pro guys who run the GPX/SDC combo to be sure they are getting every bit no matter the size

If finding gold is the priority then I would want the coil variety first

Some great advice guys! Cheers.
Am leaning towards the new coil coming out. Sounds great. When and how much would it cost and where would you recommend buying 1 from?

If you like your 4000 keep it and get another coil.
I love my SDC its great, it does have its limitations regarding coil size and speaker on the wrong side unless your left handed, the military headphone jack and it is a bit heavy but a bungy fixes that. Its a switch on and go machine though. But like you said, once you sell your machine it's gone.

The Coiltek 9" coil is available now. The Nuggetfinder 12 x 8 will be out 6th August i believe.... i can sell you either coil but my advice is to support your local prospecting store or you will miss them when they are gone !!!

Nuggz said:
The Coiltek 9" coil is available now. The Nuggetfinder 12 x 8 will be out 6th August i believe.... i can sell you either coil but my advice is to support your local prospecting store or you will miss them when they are gone !!!

That's a fantastic view you take Nuggz. In this age of 'make a quick buck anyway you can', its great to see there are still some businesses out there that actually care about the survival of others! Well done :) :Y:

Hi nuggz!
Thanks for your reply!
I live in central qld and there is no real prospecting shops around here. How much will the new coil retail for from you?

Cheers DD, its a very small industry and its under threat from big box discounter types. Local knowledge is worth alot more than 20% off at your generic blue or orange building

Hi looking at upgrading from the Gold monster

looking for opinions on sdc2300 or GPX-4500 both are similar
price range sdc2300 seem very popular can anyone give me advice please.

Hi Steven, please disregard Reg's comment, not sure if he was having a lend or believes it. Either way it's crap, he knows it, we all know it and I'm sure you're intelligent enough to know it too.

SDC, excellent switch on and go machine with next to nil learning curve. Great on flogged ground, pushings and scrapes etc but limited depth and ground coverage due to only an 8" coil.
IMO a poor choice as a stepping it out type of prospecting tool.
Excells on small gold and a great clean up machine for patches.

4500, excellent versatile prospecting machine with unlimited coil options. At home in 99% of gold field situations from pushings and scrapes to virgin ground hunting. Has a learning curve but easy to master with time and maybe tuition.

Both are excellent and proven machines. It depends on how you want target gold. ie: hit old ground, prospect for new ground or both.
For versatility I'd go a 4500

Cheers,
Steve

Wanna bet I will have more weight in a pan in a day in a good spot that most will get with an SDC. In both situations it depends on where you are. A pan is still a lot cheaper, and where many of us older prospectors started.

I was having the same thoughts as you last year and decided on the 4500 because I felt once I'd had the SDC for a year or so and finding tiny bits I'd want to find bigger bits at depth.
I went with the 4500 last November and haven't looked back, set up correctly with the 14x9 evo I'm getting bits down to .1g at 3-4" deep, the option to put a bigger coil on to punch deep after you've cleaned out the small shallow stuff :perfect:

1539167622_dsc00012.jpg

Latest posts