Minelab SDC2300 or GPX4000 / GPX4500 / GPX5000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice work BobDigger, cant really go wrong with either of them to be honest.
Looking forward to seeing some gold finds going forward

Spot on Bob..Most of the gold you will find ..can be best found with the blue vacuum..But if you want to find some bigger gold then the 4500 is your machine..that's why you need 2..or 1..7000mmm..

As a novice detector I can highly recommend the SDC. Pretty much switch on and go.

I have only been detecting since November 2016 and have found 69 pieces of gold with the 2300. Only small stuff, but it's South Australian yellow.

Added 4 small pieces to the total this weekend.

Was a great weekend. Great to catchup again Wishful. Pity the gold wasn't playing game. Always next time.

Definately can find the tiny stuff.

1498985099_image.jpg

Hi all,
I am considering buying a new detector and would like some input on these 2 I have seen both in operation, but I am still not sure which one to go for and also being very new to this I don't know if there is another machine that may be even more suitable.

I prospect mainly in Victoria.

I was out out with another bloke the other week prospecting and he was using an SDC 2300 and this was very good at picking up small pieces close to the surface which seemed very effective and he found quite a lot.

On the other hand another friend has a GPZ 4500 and swears by it although it seems more complicated to operate he assures me it is simple once you get used to it and he is willing to teach me if I get one. He says it has more versatility ie coils can be changed for different conditions and he tells me this machine will find everything the SDC can and more because it can be adapted easily and used in more varying conditions.

What would you guys recommend if the choice is between these 2 or is there another option in the same price range you can suggest?

Yep the SDC is a great little Gold Getter but the GPX 4500 is so flexible and has one of if not the biggest selection of coils made for any detector, When it comes to PI machines the GPX is the Corner Stone, and there are enough people here to get you up and running pretty quick,

No I don't own one, but I have seen the damage the 4500 can do, So based on that I say get the GPX 4500.

John.

I love the GPX4500 but I also love the sdc.
I would suggest borrow or rent to try many clubs have devices to rent.
Find a club near you and talk to them. They are also great for help.
Starting with an SDC and finding gold will provide the motivation.
It is a lot of money so you need to be confident in what you buy.

Cheers

I think I am swayed to the 4500 although in a perfect world I could have both (my world's not that perfect) the other question is if I go with the GPX the 5000 is not a lot more is there any advantage or save the coin and just get the 4500?

The sdc are good I had one for 3 weeks but digging up bird shot in wet ground is no fun so it had to got ,I went back to my 4500 now I have a new 4500 and love it if chasing the small stuff I just change the coil if out on virgin ground just put a larger coil on that's one big advantage of a 4500 once you learn them they are a brilliant detector with the 5000 there is not much difference between them I have had both and to be honest for the money a new 4500 is a far better option regards john :)

Thanks for that info John Looks like as soon as the missus lengthens the leash I will be down to miners den to get a new 4500.

Thankyou very much everyone for your helpful advice and insight.

Most appreciated.

Just remember
SDC = Small holes and lots of them.
GPX=possibly big holes
GPZ= possibly huge holes

I would love a GPZ but being practical in terms of money or lack of I have a GPX 4500 and love it.
Get what ever you feel comfortable with and can afford.

i have the gpx 4500 now and hope to have the sdc soon ill let you know how they go

Money wise one of these two machines used are the best I can afford. Leaning towards the 4500. Thoughts ?

That's like asking how long a bit of string is really :8 ..... First thing to consider is what type of ground (deep? shallow? Hot or benign?) your going to be 'prospecting', and the 'type' of Gold known in those areas (Riverbed fines, or hillside alluvials from reefs? etc)...

The 4500 will give you a more adaptable unit over varying ground & gold types, whereas the 2300 is reputed for catching that very small/fine Gold many tend to walk over/past...

Like any activity, it's best to suit your tool to the job at hand, and without further info., it's hard to specifically recommend either over the other, yet both are competent at what they were designed for.

I have my own personal choice of the two, but that answer may not be the best solution for you and your circumstances.

Any chance of some more info. please?

Gypsy

The SDC 2300 is a great unit. Portability. Water proof. Ease of use. It will find big nuggets and small and specimen gold great. It only has a 8inch coil so that will be your depth, however I have dug some deep targets with the SDC and was very impressed.
There is no need to lug around a harness or battery pack etc etc.

Even though the 4500 does allow for heaps of options and will find deeper gold, if I had a choice between the 2, I would always grab the SDC any day.

Even after owning a GPZ, I still can not part with the SDC. It is a proven winner, time and time again, And not bad for relics too.

Latest posts