Minelab SDC2300 or GPX4000 / GPX4500 / GPX5000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was in the same boat as everyone else. I purchased the SDC2300 and found lots of small gold and very easy to use. Small and does not take long to setup and actually use. I then purchased a GPX 4500 and wow what a learning curve loads of settings, love both but had to make a choice. Not my choice, but I just sold my SDC 2300 with loads of accessories for $2900 with 2.5 years warranty left I spent about $3500 six months ago for detector and a further $450 on accessories so the buyer got a really good deal. You just need to look around these do pop up.

Mick64 said:
I'm also following this post as I'm also looking at both these machines and some very good replies from those who have posted. what coil could you put on the 4500 to make it come up par or close with the SDC on the small stuff ?

Mick

There really is no way to get a 4500 or 5000 to detect the finely diseminated specimen gold or prickly nuggets the way an SDC will, some coils can come close but it more depends on the gold rather than the coil. The GPX's can sometimes detect 0.05g when the gold is solid and flat but when it's prickly and odd shapes that can be when the GPX's will start to miss nuggets. I own both and they are both outstanding detectors but the SDC will get the small stuff much better, it will get large nuggets too but just won't punch as deep as a GPX and covering big areas is harder due to having just one small coil.

It's a difficult decision which one to buy. I also guess it depends on the ground you're hunting also, if you have access to un-flogged ground on private property in a nugget area then the GPX is a no brainer but if you're mopping up small stuff in flogged public areas the SDC could potentially be a better choice.

Check out this thread.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=19965

Mick64 said:
I'm also following this post as I'm also looking at both these machines and some very good replies from those who have posted. what coil could you put on the 4500 to make it come up par or close with the SDC on the small stuff ?

Mick
Same boat and keep changing my mine what one I'm saving for, this vid makes me want the sdc, spot the problem before the operator :lol: :lol: :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk7nV-Oxvyw
Funny thing is I'll still probably be looking for a 4500 or 5000 :D

Personally the sdc is a better entry level detector. I use to have one but the urge of punching deeper and walking over that deeper once in a life time nugget got the better of me. I sold my sdc and now I only swing the 5000. I honestly got a bit over finding heaps of little subies. I would maybe find 15 little nuggets weighing around .5 grams with the sdc. I might not find gold as often with the Gpx but when I do it is usually a lot better in size than that of the sdc.

I am going to buy and SDC as well to add to my collection lol

I am finding so many spots as I drive around these days, and it would be awesome to just have a quick swing around.....I like how small and portable it is , just right to leave behind the seat......

Chuky boy said:
Personally the sdc is a better entry level detector. I use to have one but the urge of punching deeper and walking over that deeper once in a life time nugget got the better of me. I sold my sdc and now I only swing the 5000. I honestly got a bit over finding heaps of little subies. I would maybe find 15 little nuggets weighing around .5 grams with the sdc. I might not find gold as often with the Gpx but when I do it is usually a lot better in size than that of the sdc.
Thanks Chucky :rolleyes: :lol: comments like that make me change my mind :lol: :lol:
I was thinking the sdc first hopeing to go creek swimming as well so...hmmm, so if I ended up with 2 sdc and? 5000
are all the coils water proof on the x range? or is it a don't risk it near the creek machine?
I have nightmares developing on this decision :rolleyes: :lol:

SDC waterproof GPX not waterproof (some coils are water resistant not for putting in water) SDC great for water. Start with the SDC and when you get the hang of it either sell it and buy the GPX. or buy both if you have the money. But to start off and find gold is magic with the SDC.

It looks like the SDC for me, as Harb said it can be packed up behind your back seat for those rare moments when you need to have a quick swing. With the GT only around 3 hours away, my weekends and days off can be limited. So maybe swinging the SDC for the smaller stuff will eventually pay for a GPX. A mate lent me his ATX a few weeks back which I took to Dunolly, came across a small quartz reef in my walks which ran down into an old creek, after twenty minutes swinging the ATX across the sides of the gully, with a harness and bungee I was totally buggered, swinging this so called "portable" No offence to him or Garrett owners but why would they build such a portable monstrosity! I felt and gave a bit of a swing of an SDC just a couple of days ago, wow what a difference, like swinging a cat by the back legs rather than a cow and packs down next to nothing. This fellow did say the SDC has or had troubles with the batteries sliding in and making contact and some thing about a hinge..which he fixed other than that he wouldn't part with it. he also has the 4500 which he uses first then goes back over with the SDC.
Looks like I'll keep my eyes open for the "unwanted Christmas Gifts" at the end of January

Mick

As per others own them both and love them both but which ever one you choose do the time on the machine , learn its language and you will be rewarded for it . After 2 years solo with the SDC it tells me things others can't hear and I am not there yet with the 4500 . Imho there is likely to be more specimen / prickly and small gold left to be found around the GPX " worked " areas of the GT and on that the SDC is deadly , if you go the SDC keep an open mind and don't believe it will only be a 6 inch wonder , if you go the 4500 spend a little more time hiking to less worked areas.

Cheers and good luck.

Mick64 said:

Mick

I'd say the 6" Detech mono will come closest to the SDC on the small shallow stuff. But if you want to find the small gold and still punch deeper than the SDC on the bigger/more solid bits then the 14x9 Evo is the go.

VicGoldHunter said:
What price should i be looking at a second hand sdc2300, brand new it's still a little to much for me, there was one that sold on ebay today for $2700 used once it said but didn't come with much and had no warranty.

If it was brand new why did it have no warranty, did someone modify it. Wouldn't touch it.

The 12 inch Evo is giving my sdc a serious run for its money . Maybee not on the porous stuff but has been getting a few species I didn't expect after the sdc had go e over it. Latest was a specie with no visible gold found around 8 inches down . Thought I had a nice piece of at least half a gram but when I got home and broke it open the gold actually fell out (wasn't happy about that as I like em still attatched).ended up coming in at only .26 gram. Thing is I've been over this area with the sdc numerous times but nothing left until the 12 went over it. Next move the 15 ya never know?

Hi Folks,

I have been chasing gold with a pan for about 6 weeks now and have broken out in a sweat. Looks like I've got the fever. I would like to get into some detecting as well as panning as I live in a gold bearing area (Batemans Bay) and have access to reasonable country (only takes 15 minutes or so to get there) l have plenty of time on my hands (just retired) so I am prepared to put in the hard yards in relation to both panning and detecting. I have narrowed my choice down to three detectors (SDC, 4500 and the 5000) I'd love to hear your thoughts on each one. I am aware that the 5000 will come out on top in relation to performance but it is also quite pricey. It may take 12 months or so to save my pocket money (from another hobby) but I am prepared to wait. As the fever grows, the areas I will be visiting will broaden.

My personal opinion only :Y:
Sounds like the bank is not bottomless, (same as mine) so for that reason i would rule out the 5k. Yes its better than the 4500 but i dont think the extra price tag warrants the benifts with the new 4500's packages available.
The SDC is brilliant and i have used one on several occasions, one of the best benifts is its ease and simplicity to use.
I may be biased as i own a 4500 but i think paired with a saide coil its "almost" as good on the smaller gold as the sdc.
Definatly not as good but almost, maybe 80%
The gpx series are a lot more complicated to use and get the hang of but have many options of coils to cover more potential gold.
Really you cant go wrong with any of these but for me, a new 4500 and a coupple of the new generation coils plus a saide for cleaning up.

If you don't want to spend time trying to work out how to use your new detector ,SDC 2300 hands down brilliant machine. 4500 about the same price goes deeper very sensitive but a steeper learnig curve same as the 5000.

Love my sdc and learning my gpx 4500

Thanks Wishfull.

I think that hiring an SDC for a weekend would be a good start. I will just wait for the easter mob to go home and then have some quiet play time around some of the old diggings. I will give a report after the excursion in a few weeks.

Cheers

Les

I just think now having plenty of time on your hands the learning curve on the 4500 or 5000 wont be an issue for you.. there are basic settings to get you up and going anyway. I just think they will open up more doors in areas you can detect then what the sdc would. I sort of look at the sdc as an extra machine to clean up undetected small bits . Would you feel more concerned you have missed some small stuff or go home worried there may have been a nice deep piece you missed ? I guess thats the question to consider between the 2.

Hi GaryO,

Good point. Thanks for the comment. My only concern is that the area that I will be detecting in has been worked so much that the rocks on top of the ground shine as they have been polished by detector coils. The small gold still needs to be considered as I would be expecting to see more smaller bits that larger nuggets in this area. Your comment has me leaning towards the 4500.

Cheers

Les

Latest posts