Minelab SD2200 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
loamer said:
I can only think of using a smaller mono coil. I run a 4500 on mineralised ground and sometimes use audio type quiet with the gain and stab up as high as I can handle to lift the target signals. Thats because they can lose performance in quiet. What about the 5000 setting - 'boost audio' with the fine gold timing? Just seems odd as with the 4500 I can usually get some very small targets but if hunting for them (mullock heaps) I switch to the smaller 8" mono and have no problems. Having said all of that, I have most definitely seen 5000s pinging wee bits of gold, generally off mullock heaps. Here is a link to the Hallowell & Co table of shot weights I use: the aussie #7 is about 1.46 grains. My maths says its equal to: 1.46gr = 0.094606grams so the .1 is about right. One of the 5000 gurus may be able to give you a stear.

I run audio boost with fine gold timings constantly when seeking sub gramers. The smallest piece from my last WA trip went exactly .05 grams...and several .07 to .09 gramers came to light. I only wear head phones and never use a speaker. ;)

Cheers Wal.

Redfin said:
That is a good size Dam the one to the south. Going up on the 12th for 4 days so will park there for one of them.

Heads Up, you may be doing nothing wrong, you still have to walk over them.
Go buy a few small lead sinkers at a fishing supply shop and do a few testers in the side of a wash away.
Thanks Redfin but I have a few small nuggies from 0.2 up to 2.8 grams and surface testing alone is disappointing with the small bits

RX gain up to 16 brings out a better signal but if the 0.2 was deeper than 2 inches I don't think I would get a whisper

I have started watching the Chris Goulson video on the GPX 5000 so I might figure it out yet

The timings switch on the front should be on special when using fine gold. But it should still detect the target on normal as this actually is more powerful but noisier. And using factory preset for the others. It may be worth getting a checkup from Minelab, I have heard there turn around time and service is very quick.
I have detected a 0.07 with my 18" coil so the size is not a problem. A 0.1g bit should be a clear signal with the 11".

DD

The kids were doing assignments on the PC last night. I will try with audio boost on that sounds like a good idea on Fine Gold timing. I was in special Diggerdude, thanks. Loamer, i will measure that shot and see what its grain weight is. To many storms up here all week, will have to do test early one morning. Thanks everyone you have gave me some good starting points. Sorry Redfin, that's a nice piece your wife got there, I have just got to tune this 5000 so i can do the same. :)

Diggerdude said:
The timings switch on the front should be on special when using fine gold. But it should still detect the target on normal as this actually is more powerful but noisier. And using factory preset for the others. It may be worth getting a checkup from Minelab, I have heard there turn around time and service is very quick.
I have detected a 0.07 with my 18" coil so the size is not a problem. A 0.1g bit should be a clear signal with the 11".

DD

Totally agree, I've got about 0.05 of a G of specks in a snuffer bottle and tested out the back of my house this morning. Had 11DD in cancel and it picked it up from at least 10-20cm away probably even further, solid signal in any timing, Coin/relic was to noisy here even in cancel. All preset no tweaking.

I'd get it checked Headsup, at least do a factory reset and see how it goes. Can catch up sometime if you want to do some A/B comparisons between the 2 machines.

Iv tried specs of gold on a plastic spoon maybe 0.1 gram over the 5000 with 11 mono before and couldn't get a peep a solid 0.1gram nugget no worries maybe I'll need to try this again? GMT could pick up strong signal 3+"

Heatho said:
Diggerdude said:

DD

Totally agree, I've got about 0.05 of a G of specks in a snuffer bottle and tested out the back of my house this morning. Had 11DD in cancel and it picked it up from at least 10-20cm away probably even further, solid signal in any timing, Coin/relic was to noisy here even in cancel. All preset no tweaking.

I'd get it checked Headsup, at least do a factory reset and see how it goes. Can catch up sometime if you want to do some A/B comparisons between the 2 machines.

Doing way better than me there Heatho, are you sure it's not .5 gm at 20 cm.?? ....., .05 at 20cm with a DD?? can't get anywhere near that with mine.

Cheers Wal,

No where near .5 gram Wal. This is in a small snuffer bottle not the Garret Guzzler. Maybe a touch more than .05 but could'nt be much. Would only add up to less than a match head. No mineralisation in my backyard though. I'm probably not the best judge of weight but I was surprised at the sensitivity. Was giving a mild overloading signal at under 5cm.

DD's in my honest opinion are very sensitive but just lack the outright depth of mono's.

1385613215_20131128_143217.jpg

This one is very flat but about the size of a match head. The .05, i picked up on my last trip was at about 10cm. in mineralized ground and this was pushing it's capabilities. 5000 can certainly pick up smaller gold than most people think.
1385615281_img_9844_800x600.jpg

Yeah me too mate. Went for a quick drive the other day & theres some good looking spots around there but its gonna be a hot one. :cool:
Might have to sit in the dam for a few hours between swinging to cool off.

WalnLiz said:
This one is very flat but about the size of a match head. The .05, i picked up on my last trip was at about 10cm. in mineralized ground and this was pushing it's capabilities. 5000 can certainly pick up smaller gold than most people think.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/147/1385615281_img_9844_800x600.jpg

.05 in WA ground at 10cm is amazingly good going. :) I'm pretty sure that .1 you have there would give a good signal with your 11in DD at 10cm in an air test. Those specks I have would be roughly the same I reckon, around .1. I Need to get some scales.

Agreed, much much smaller gold than people think.

Heatho iv done a lot of testing with the 5000 and different settings and have tried fine specks over the 5000 with the 8"mono and 5x10 dd I don't think our 5000 could see "one" gram of specs touching either of these coils as it won't detect my wife's gold bracelet Rolled into a heap. I don't mean to ruin your day but does that sniffer bottle have a foil seal in the lid? Does that snuffer bottle have water in it? It may be the water that is increasing conductivity if this is the case my wife's gold bracelet should give a signal sumerged in water?
Could get interesting...

Well bugger me, that was my Todd Hoffman for the week....... They don't put metal in f'ng anything these days except snuffer bottles............

I need a holiday in the bush..............

Sorry Heatho, but i had to have a laugh at that mate. :D Don't worry i have put my foot in it on this forum more than most. :)

Don't worry Heatho we have all done it before I'm sure. but whilst we are on the subject with conductivity and water the guys around Dunolly vic seem to think a rainy days and damp ground makes the ground produce more small detectable nuggets and specimen quartz.

Zuke_Lynzy said:
Don't worry Heatho we have all done it before I'm sure. but whilst we are on the subject with conductivity and water the guys around Dunolly vic seem to think a rainy days and damp ground makes the ground produce more small detectable nuggets and specimen quartz.

Correct mate - the ground is a lot quieter and you will find most people have the gain and stabilisers up hence smaller gold. Like when detecting on white mullock - run them flat-out and up pops the little tackers.

Latest posts