Minelab GPX6000 release, general information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SteveG said:
maldongold said:
davent said:
Catching sardines will lead you to catching salmon.
If you were covering ground, no signals and no gold, you just keep walking. If you find a small bit, then another, you then know there is gold where you are, you slow down and start detecting properly. The 6K will be a patch finder for sure.
It will detect good pieces at depth.
I saw a video that a tester made. He found 11 very small bits, 7!which the zed did not see. They put some time in, the zed got a good signal, and the 6K also got it. With the 11 mono v the 15 zed coil. It was a 7 gram bit. The zed got a better response. The point is, if the 6 K didnt get the 1st small bit, then none of the other bits would have been recovered. This video I saw was the 1st and only time this tester used it, so he was using it at a very basic level.

Wise words,this going to be the ultimate patch finder in new country.People need to see the the bigger picture.
Tunnel vision, concentrating on only one aspect is rife on the subject of the X6. :pickshovel:

No, the GPZ is a better detector. The only advantage the 6000 has over the 7000 is weight.
There will be other advantages but overall the GPZ will still be #1

My guess is the new machine will compliment the zed quite well. (Just like the SDC and the zed) Im sure each machine will show sweet spots where they perform well. Cant wait to do some comparisons between the two detectors. Its not so much about the capacity of the toys we play with but the ability of the thing on the other end of the stick. A prospector with good skills will always find more gold than me regardless of the machine being used (within reason) but this new technology will get mugs like me a little closer.

Reg Wilson said:
Goldchaser 1, you must be a dealer. what makes you so sure that this is a major step forward?

I never said it will be a major step foward,there your words reg.
I think it's shaping up to be a great patch hunter hopefully,sdc and gpx rolled into one,well that's the word on the street but very few of us know anymore then a few tidbits atm and some glossy photos.
The old alluvial patches in most areas are done to death,personally i don't want to chase sdc gold but if it leads to a new area or even better the source i don't care how small they are.
Your quote:
It is highly unlikely that those buying a 6000 will ever find enough gold to pay for it.
Plenty will use it and use it well and come out on top,others will find a few bits and be content,it's still a cheap hobbie,profession or however you want to treat it......

Some people buy Dodge Rams, bit pricey for me, bulky, expensive to run, need a bigger garage. I bet that when those people do buy they are fine with the cost, just as 6 users will be.

Theres 1000s of hobbies that cost money, detecting is one where you have a chance to pay off your hobby. Will everyone? No.

Minelab machines have always kept their value pretty well, if you tried to apply the same logic to say a fishing boat or a motorbike just the running costs alone would put you off, let alone depreciation.

We are all still waiting for the proof in the pudding on performance, any quantifying on users success is still speculation at best.

SteveG said:
maldongold said:
davent said:
If you were covering ground, no signals and no gold, you just keep walking. If you find a small bit, then another, you then know there is gold where you are, you slow down and start detecting properly. The 6K will be a patch finder for sure.
I saw a video that a tester made. He found 11 very small bits, 7!which the zed did not see. They put some time in, the zed got a good signal, and the 6K also got it. With the 11 mono v the 15 zed coil. It was a 7 gram bit. The zed got a better response. The point is, if the 6 K didnt get the 1st small bit, then none of the other bits would have been recovered. This video I saw was the 1st and only time this tester used it, so he was using it at a very basic level.

Wise words,this going to be the ultimate patch finder in new country.People need to see the the bigger picture.
Tunnel vision, concentrating on only one aspect is rife on the subject of the X6. :pickshovel:

No, the GPZ is a better detector. The only advantage the 6000 has over the 7000 is weight.

I have never suggested that the 6k will be a better detector than the zed.
I do believe that the 6K will find much smaller gold than a zed though. some dont see this ability as a good thing, where as i do.
it will lead you to bigger gold, which you may find with the zed etc.....

For the record, i am a zed user.

davent said:
SteveG said:
maldongold said:
davent said:

I do believe that the 6K will find much smaller gold than a zed though. some dont see this ability as a good thing, where as i do.

Your statements contradict each other. You say that the 6000 will be the "Ultimate patch finder" and will "find smaller gold than a zed"

These both objectively do mean that you believe the 6000 will be better than the Z.

I think you're wrong. The Z is and will remain the ultimate patch finder, and no detector can find smaller gold more easily than a Z.

Myself and many other Z operators regularly find nuggets around the .05g weight at depth. No detector can be better than that. I know you think you've seen a video of a Z missing targets that a 6000 can hear. That's simply operator error. The Z can find any detectable gold with the right settings and user experience.

The latest direct from a dealer....

It's delayed again....sometime in May but no delivery date available.

Goldchaser1 said:
Reg Wilson said:
Goldchaser 1, you must be a dealer. what makes you so sure that this is a major step forward?

I never said it will be a major step foward,there your words reg.
I think it's shaping up to be a great patch hunter hopefully,sdc and gpx rolled into one,well that's the word on the street but very few of us know anymore then a few tidbits atm and some glossy photos.
The old alluvial patches in most areas are done to death,personally i don't want to chase sdc gold but if it leads to a new area or even better the source i don't care how small they are.
Your quote:
It is highly unlikely that those buying a 6000 will ever find enough gold to pay for it.
Plenty will use it and use it well and come out on top,others will find a few bits and be content,it's still a cheap hobbie,profession or however you want to treat it......
Your spot on.Plenty will use it and use it well.Patch finding is my plan for this tector.
.01g specks can lead to 50 oz bonanzas.Its just the the way you look at things.
Reg may be right about newbies not finding enough to pay for the x6 but I certainly will. :pickshovel:

Dave79 said:
Not bagging the detector, don't have any idea about how well it's going to perform. But I'm pretty sure that plenty of people who think that they are going to be an "easy expert" and end up on Aussie gold hunters are going to be sorely disappointed. It's ostly minelabs marketing that's convinced me to give this one a miss, think they missed the mark for average aussie with a bit of detecting experience.
How have they missed the mark.If your an experienced operator how could you not use this tector to your advantage.
Oxymorons aplenty in your statement??

Teemore said:
Dave79 said:
With that price tag I'd assume that Minelab and the retailers are going to make a whole lot more profit than 99% of people who buy one!

Isn't that the way with all detectors .... Please, please, please name 1 manufacturer or retailer that makes/sells thing without making a profit (what's your stance on fuel retailers?) ..... Failing to understand why people that don't want one are so obsessed with bagging the thing, why even follow this thread ????? ....
maybe frightened others will start finding gold that was "reserved" for them with the old technology.
They are obsessed with bagging it because it challenges their dusty old thought patterns. :lol:

Jonathan Porter
807 posts

Gear Used: GPZ 7000, ZSearch12, GPX 6000, SDC 2300, GM 1000, EQX800
Joined December 2013
Popular Post
Posted 7 hours ago
The 6000 does what the 5000 can do depth wise on larger gold even slightly better, but whats the point of providing it that way to the market when there is already something much better out there for that purpose in the form of the 7000? Hence the 17 elliptical coil rather than say an 18 round monoloop.

A 17 elliptical will be a very good coverage coil for prospecting purposes with pretty good depth on larger pieces, but it is not about outright depth, you have ZVT for that. The GPX 6000 with the largest coil you care too put on can never attain the depth of the 7000 with its standard coil!! Having a lightweight coil with 17 inches of coverage with the sensitivity to snag a 0.01 gm piece is nigh on diabolical, this concept will take shape once operators get their hands on them.

Ergonomically the 6000 is brilliant with the supplied standard 11 mono coil, that coil size is perfect for one handed operation with nil support devices unless you are unused to detecting. The standard 11 coil has the ability, if you care to invest the energy, to find tiny pieces right down to the wet your finger to pick it up GM 1000 level!!

So this then begs the question, what is the GPX 6000 good for? I very quickly learned to target a specific type of environment to maximise the 6000 benefits. The first and key approach was to target old areas were Id previously found multiple targets within 100mm of the surface, in almost all cases I tend to stick to ground where bedrock is visible and work out from there but mainly sticking to ground up to or around the 12 mark as the targets the 6000 is VERY good at reside at less than those depths (inverse square law).

Hot ground is not a problem (usually the shallow gravels are more mineralised as the top layer has been washed or blown away), If the ground becomes problematic due to conductive signals or salt signals or EMI then I revert to the DD coil and use that option (truly amazing sensitivity to tiny surface targets using the DD), I will however tend to stick to ground less than 10 inches as the depth is less with the DD relative to target size. The bulk of the gold I find with the 6000 is in the sub gram range but I have hit on some pretty decent stuff whilst out and about thanks to the good outright depth of the tech, this is reassuring as often decent targets are found due to time spent and the ground covered during that time, so its nice to know if you get your coil over a decent nugget or speci at depth then your in with a chance.

The 6000 is not a tiny gold only detector, but operators can only swing one detector at a time, there will be a cross over on some target sizes between the various techs (SDC and GPZ), however what it does do it does exceptionally well as such there will be a pretty decent range of targets that it outperforms everything on. It is nice to know while your taking advantage of the tech behind the GPX it can still compete with its predecessors and also the modern big guns.

JP

Just some stuff to chew over from another forum.

maldongold said:
Jonathan Porter
807 posts

Joined December 2013
Popular Post
Posted 7 hours ago
The 6000 does what the 5000 can do depth wise on larger gold even slightly better, but whats the point of providing it that way to the market when there is already something much better out there for that purpose in the form of the 7000? Hence the 17 elliptical coil rather than say an 18 round monoloop.

A 17 elliptical will be a very good coverage coil for prospecting purposes with pretty good depth on larger pieces, but it is not about outright depth, you have ZVT for that. The GPX 6000 with the largest coil you care too put on can never attain the depth of the 7000 with its standard coil!! Having a lightweight coil with 17 inches of coverage with the sensitivity to snag a 0.01 gm piece is nigh on diabolical, this concept will take shape once operators get their hands on them.

Ergonomically the 6000 is brilliant with the supplied standard 11 mono coil, that coil size is perfect for one handed operation with nil support devices unless you are unused to detecting. The standard 11 coil has the ability, if you care to invest the energy, to find tiny pieces right down to the wet your finger to pick it up GM 1000 level!!

So this then begs the question, what is the GPX 6000 good for? I very quickly learned to target a specific type of environment to maximise the 6000 benefits. The first and key approach was to target old areas were Id previously found multiple targets within 100mm of the surface, in almost all cases I tend to stick to ground where bedrock is visible and work out from there but mainly sticking to ground up to or around the 12 mark as the targets the 6000 is VERY good at reside at less than those depths (inverse square law).

Hot ground is not a problem (usually the shallow gravels are more mineralised as the top layer has been washed or blown away), If the ground becomes problematic due to conductive signals or salt signals or EMI then I revert to the DD coil and use that option (truly amazing sensitivity to tiny surface targets using the DD), I will however tend to stick to ground less than 10 inches as the depth is less with the DD relative to target size. The bulk of the gold I find with the 6000 is in the sub gram range but I have hit on some pretty decent stuff whilst out and about thanks to the good outright depth of the tech, this is reassuring as often decent targets are found due to time spent and the ground covered during that time, so its nice to know if you get your coil over a decent nugget or speci at depth then your in with a chance.

The 6000 is not a tiny gold only detector, but operators can only swing one detector at a time, there will be a cross over on some target sizes between the various techs (SDC and GPZ), however what it does do it does exceptionally well as such there will be a pretty decent range of targets that it outperforms everything on. It is nice to know while your taking advantage of the tech behind the GPX it can still compete with its predecessors and also the modern big guns.

JP

Who cares what JP thinks he is a biased dealer??

Mec30 said:
maldongold said:
Jonathan Porter
807 posts

Joined December 2013
Popular Post
Posted 7 hours ago

JP

Who cares what JP thinks he is a biased dealer??
Me.Who cares what you think,more to the point.Are you Reg's mate always on about dealers and sycophants.

I would definitely takes Regs advice over JP any day of the week, also you havent used a 6000 how can you be so confident in it?

You guys can argue for a while longer......

It's delayed again....sometime in May but no delivery date available.

Ill keep at it with my 7000 and x coils, will be interesting to see how the 6000 performs and reviews by non biased prospectors

Mec30 said:
I would definitely takes Regs advice over JP any day of the week, also you havent used a 6000 how can you be so confident in it?
Why would you not take jps advice.Tell me one occasion he has steered the punters in the wrong direction.Just one will suffice,but of course you cant.

SteveG said:
davent said:
SteveG said:
maldongold said:
davent said:

Your statements contradict each other. You say that the 6000 will be the "Ultimate patch finder" and will "find smaller gold than a zed"

These both objectively do mean that you believe the 6000 will be better than the Z.

I think you're wrong. The Z is and will remain the ultimate patch finder, and no detector can find smaller gold more easily than a Z.

Myself and many other Z operators regularly find nuggets around the .05g weight at depth. No detector can be better than that. I know you think you've seen a video of a Z missing targets that a 6000 can hear. That's simply operator error. The Z can find any detectable gold with the right settings and user experience.

WTF? You just want an argument.
I never said it will be the ultimate anything.
I did say it will find smaller gold than a zed, because it does. I also said the zed gets a better response on the bigger gold, which it does.
I did say it will be a patch finder for sure.
I have a zed, so dont need another detector. but the 6K will be a great detector.
If you bother to read the quotes you posted, you will find that there are two different peoples quotes.

maldongold said:
Mec30 said:
Why would you not take jps advice.Tell me one occasion he has steered the punters in the wrong direction.Just one will suffice,but of course you cant.
When he constantly bags x coils!! Respected prospectors have proved his claims about them are wrong!

Latest posts