Minelab GPX6000 release, general information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Muk said:
All good goldtalk I agree about the after market up grades to your detector that is personal choice which usually comes from experience or someone with more experiences help.It happens with a lot of things we buy 4WDs/ motorbikes/ a lot of us like to add to a stock item but thats our choice.The thing Im getting at is you buy a stock standard minelab and you can find gold just as good as one that has been tricked up with after market add ons.if people are only going out a few times a year why have the add ons they will still have a great chance with a minelab as for yourself goldtalk being professional in this caper I dont think any detector manufacture r would be able to produce something stock standard that you wouldnt tinker with unless you had it custom made for yourself as I am sure you know some tricks youve learnt over the years.I myself have had a journey with some detectors before buying a SDC should of just saved up the money and bought it when I could and yes I have tricked it out a bit with sp01 and quest wireless headphones but like you say that is a comfort thing my friend has a stock machine with nothing else and still does extremely well with it. Theres not much info out on the GPX6000 but what is it looks like it will be a great machine and I will be saving my pennies for one cheers Muk.

G'day Muk, Actually I'm not really a tinkerer! I play around with the harness set up and other things that make me comfortable during a detecting session. But as far as electronics and coils etc I usually leave things alone. I'm not a fan of detector modifications and I don't spend up big on headphones and coils and the endless amount of crap that is on offer. I'm also not a fan of 'maxing out the machine'! After many thousands of hours swinging a detector I have learnt a few things that work for me....the extra poofteenth of a % that allows you to hear the targets that are not really there have little to do with coils and boosters etc. It will always come down to the operator...his/her attitude and some dumb arse luck. So many people spend money on new detectors and gear hoping it will put gold in their pockets...but how about investing in your knowledge.....learn how to research and be working in the right areas and with the right methodology. I am not here to promote my training school but putting some money into getting the right info makes sense to me. I was lucky....I never had to as I had my Dad and other 'old timers' to bend me into shape...but not many have had that opportunity! I really do agree with you Muk....the great thing about the new lines of detectors coming out is that they really are turn and and go....super simple and very powerful bits of gear.

BTW...I do know a little bit about the new machine and yes...it is VERY interesting....will it 'open up new fields'....doubt it. You dont have long to wait...get one and let us know how you go!!

In Chinese factories manufacturing for 3rd parties there is a saying, 1000 out the front door (to fill the order) 100 out the back (to my pocket)! If you have products made in China you have to expect they may possibly make more than show on the books and sell them through alternative means. Minelab are mostly made in Malaysia if I'm not wrong and who knows what goes on there, although many parts like shafts and so on come from China just like every brand. I'm certainly not against stuff being made in China or any other country, it keeps the pricing down, if Minelab moved manufacturing back to Australia they'd probably want $25,000 for a GPZ for the privilege :) I hear some companies use various factories not associated with each other to make parts for a product that are then assembled elsewhere to try prevent it from happening, kinda like KFC with the secret herbs and spices!

Minelab have done a reasonable job at keeping the clones at bay, it seems the GPX is the most risky of their products for clones (probably due to age), the GPZ clones aren't near as prolific but there are many versions of the fake GPZ from various factories, some look exactly right, others not so much like the ones pictured above with the look of a GPZ with more of a GPX 6000 coil on it with the coil cable entry :) They also advertise them with no logos and so on like those ones above but they do ship them with the logos, it seems they feel they're safer selling them if their photos don't show branding. Companies like First Texas that sell the same detector for 20+ years have been the easy target for them with far easier detectors to clone and simpler PCB's to duplicate.

I have it on good authority the GPZ has part of the magic electronic potted in epoxy to protect and hide the design. Yes, it is still possible to copy with a huge amount of effort and destroying a few zeds in the process. The Chinese GPZ have a different display indicating different electronic and software.

Araratgold said:
OMG what a wank ! Old mate in Africa is not even carrying a pick. I guess the nuggets must just jump out of the ground !

Never in my 20 years in the game have I seen Minelab trying so hard to sell a new model !

No discrimination, no ability to change the threshold tone ?

If the ground is bad, their answer is to change to a DD coil ! Like I will be carrying that around in the boondocks in my backpack ! And who the hell wants to go BACK to using DD coils ??!!

Limited choice of Minelab only coils.

This latest offering is not impressing me much, certainly not enough to go and drop $8K ( plus whatever the 17 inch coil costs) !

Rick
Yeh we get it mate,it's not impressing you at all.How many times are you going to say the same thing :lol:

Araratgold said:
Teemore said:
Araratgold said:
OMG what a wank ! Old mate in Africa is not even carrying a pick. I guess the nuggets must just jump out of the ground !

This latest offering is not impressing me much, certainly not enough to go and drop $8K ( plus whatever the 17 inch coil costs) !

Rick

Some people recognise advertising for what it is .... just advertising, its purpose has never been to explicitly show real world situations, some is just made to entertain or inform .... in a brief format. Think it does that well.

Guess Araratgold is the first on the "I'll never buy one" ..... might have to start a thread to see who else in that category.

I haven't said that I will NEVER buy one.

What I am saying is that it is a lot of dough considering all it's shortcomings.

If you didn't already own a machine/s, I'm sure it would fit the bill for quite a few people, albeit at a hefty price, considering Aus is getting the " poor mans " package.

On what planet would Minelab consider it acceptable for the Aussie market not to be at least offered the " African " package ?? Cleverly done to extort more money for the 17 inch coil and second battery that we actually need !

I personally don't give a rats that it can find 28 micro crumbs for a gram ( done in testing apparently ). That's the kind of thing that gets gullible newbies excited.

Call me cynical if you like ! I call it being a realist. The ZED was a massive jump forward, and I put my money down straight away, but this release is just not doing it for me.

Rick
Why the hell are you making all these assumptions.The bloody thing isn't even on the market.
You believed all the bullshit they offered up as truth on their other releases but not this one.What, just concentrating on the control box are it's shortcomings.
This will be a winner in the hands of seasoned prospectors.That's my assumption.

Dave79 said:
With that price tag I'd assume that Minelab and the retailers are going to make a whole lot more profit than 99% of people who buy one!

Isn't that the way with all detectors .... Please, please, please name 1 manufacturer or retailer that makes/sells thing without making a profit (what's your stance on fuel retailers?) ..... Failing to understand why people that don't want one are so obsessed with bagging the thing, why even follow this thread ????? ....
maybe frightened others will start finding gold that was "reserved" for them with the old technology.

It is highly unlikely that those buying a 6000 will ever find enough gold to pay for it. Those that know how to prospect already have the tools to find gold. The very slight advantage that this new machine may or may not have is highly unlikely to be a game changer.
Xcoils on a GPZ or a GPX will probably be a match or even outperform the expensive newcomer.

Not bagging the detector, don't have any idea about how well it's going to perform. But I'm pretty sure that plenty of people who think that they are going to be an "easy expert" and end up on Aussie gold hunters are going to be sorely disappointed. It's ostly minelabs marketing that's convinced me to give this one a miss, think they missed the mark for average aussie with a bit of detecting experience.

Reg Wilson said:
It is highly unlikely that those buying a 6000 will ever find enough gold to pay for it. Those that know how to prospect already have the tools to find gold. The very slight advantage that this new machine may or may not have is highly unlikely to be a game changer.
Xcoils on a GPZ or a GPX will probably be a match or even outperform the expensive newcomer.

Would you like a little wager on that old mate?

THE NEWS:

How about we support and encourage Minelab for their efforts - born and bred here in OZ, and creates the most advanced detectors in the world. A subsidiary of Codan, bringing millions of dollars into the country with their technology.

....from Lucky Strike in Geelong - see their FB page; https://www.facebook.com/luckystrikegold/

We've also been quite busy in-store, and the excitement for the Minelab GPX 6000 to be released increases with each passing week. The latest information we have is that it will be late April/early May until it hits our shelves.

Minelab GeoSense-PI Technology

As we eagerly await the arrival of the new GPX 6000 in-store, Minelab have released new details on the latest innovative GeoSense-PI technology that comprises the unit, which allows you to hear gold targets more clearly than ever before by enhancing signals and eliminating ground noise.

Seriously impressive for one of their most lightweight gold machines! Be sure to check out the new video on the GPX 6000 by clicking the button below. If you are considering purchasing a GPX 6000 be sure to get your name on our waiting list sooner rather than later, as it is ever growing!

YouTube Video

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UNZYZA9hv4[/video]

....and what a great way to get prospectors doing the right thing. (again from Lucky Strike Gold Prospecting in Geelong; https://luckystrikegold.com.au/)

Unfilled Detector Holes...

Darren was shown an area the other day which had been prospected. There were large holes left open and the area had been raked. It beggars belief that prospectors are still doing this. To those prospectors who think its okay to leave their holes open, there is a better way.

If you fill your holes in, compact the dirt and placing sticks and leaves over it, youre not giving your spot away. And when a new detector comes out only you know that exact spot so you can go and reap the rewards.

Darren has found most of his large gold nuggets and patches near somebody elses open holes. When the GPX 6000 comes out have a guess where I will be taking it!

While it will be awhile till we get a good few months of user tests once released. There is one clear advantage and that is given its weight and portability you will have more detecting time. Therefore more opportunities to find gold. Cant find gold back at camp resting up with a cold one.

maldongold said:
davent said:
Catching sardines will lead you to catching salmon.
If you were covering ground, no signals and no gold, you just keep walking. If you find a small bit, then another, you then know there is gold where you are, you slow down and start detecting properly. The 6K will be a patch finder for sure.
It will detect good pieces at depth.
I saw a video that a tester made. He found 11 very small bits, 7!which the zed did not see. They put some time in, the zed got a good signal, and the 6K also got it. With the 11 mono v the 15 zed coil. It was a 7 gram bit. The zed got a better response. The point is, if the 6 K didnt get the 1st small bit, then none of the other bits would have been recovered. This video I saw was the 1st and only time this tester used it, so he was using it at a very basic level.

Wise words,this going to be the ultimate patch finder in new country.People need to see the the bigger picture.
Tunnel vision, concentrating on only one aspect is rife on the subject of the X6. :pickshovel:

No, the GPZ is a better detector. The only advantage the 6000 has over the 7000 is weight.

Geosense :inlove: i wonder if it will eventually be brave enough to put a % of hit and miss probabilities of the ground you walk over in more accurate modes later on.

Not only incorporating data from satellite of geology at current spot which sounds to me to be the now advantage but also other factors like previous gold finds/historical data and everything else the current and old prospector uses for research to find places to go, all input into your machine on the spot?

Some research would still be needed but only basic stuff until we ask our cars to take us there :lol: wait i think that's already possible.

SteveG said:
maldongold said:
davent said:
Catching sardines will lead you to catching salmon.
If you were covering ground, no signals and no gold, you just keep walking. If you find a small bit, then another, you then know there is gold where you are, you slow down and start detecting properly. The 6K will be a patch finder for sure.
It will detect good pieces at depth.
I saw a video that a tester made. He found 11 very small bits, 7!which the zed did not see. They put some time in, the zed got a good signal, and the 6K also got it. With the 11 mono v the 15 zed coil. It was a 7 gram bit. The zed got a better response. The point is, if the 6 K didnt get the 1st small bit, then none of the other bits would have been recovered. This video I saw was the 1st and only time this tester used it, so he was using it at a very basic level.

Wise words,this going to be the ultimate patch finder in new country.People need to see the the bigger picture.
Tunnel vision, concentrating on only one aspect is rife on the subject of the X6. :pickshovel:

No, the GPZ is a better detector. The only advantage the 6000 has over the 7000 is weight.

And possibly this geo-sense thingy.

Latest posts