Minelab GPX4500 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1439873181_image.jpg
Cheers scrounger I think I will get out Thurs ,and will take a 5000 for a little comparison..will go to Mt Crawford if anyone wants to tag along..and bring an older 4500 to compare side by side would be really gooood

Baldy said:
Any ideas what the dvt...seta means is this new..
it was new when they launched these back in 2008, SETA is the reason that the 4500 shits on models prior, basically balances out the magnetic response you get form magnetic soils. The 4000 was ok in some timings but not accross all timings, SETA means you can run in all timings without hearing the weird magnetic waver.

I encourage you to read the manual many times :) Johnathan ported DVD's are gold... get them ...

smart electronic timing alignment
Dual voltage technology

http://www.minelab.com/products/gold-mining/detectors/gpx-4500

Thanks guys,,got to read the manual to put it together...Its a really good point ,read the manual over and over.

w3bgold said:
Could you post some pics of the inside of the box to tide me over while I wait for mine in the post?

Looks great, can't wait for mine to arrive. :cool:

? special day? mate picked up couple of units one each - I asked him the same thing lol - please open the box and send me pic. So he did. Enjoy
1439896376_image.jpg

Congrats guys,

I just love the startup noise on a Minelab GPX.
When I hear that sound my day is so much more relaxing.

With the GPZ's, SDC, all the GPX's out there, and now a swag more 4500's hitting the fields, collectively detectors must be pulling a decent amount of gold. It would be interesting to know what the average monthly tally is. I bet we're giving some of the big boy miners a run for their money :cool:

Hey Guys,

So I picked up a gpx4500 yesterday while they're on special and took it out bush today to try it out.

I must admit that I have no experience with detectors at all, only alluvial prospecting so this is all new to me. I thought it might be easier to try it in an open area where i could plant a few targets and learn how to use the 4500. Found a good clear area next to a spot that i highbank at.

Hows this for luck, I turn on the machine and start pumping the coil to the ground and it just won't go quite like the manual says it should. I think to myself, surely there isn't something underneath the coil. After it wouldn't balance I moved over a meter or two and tried it again and the machine seems to go quiet. I then waved the coil back over the area I started on and bugger me there's a signal. I dig down a few inches and there's a One dollar coin. My first thing i've ever found and it's a coin. The rest of the day was lousy though, just some wire and a big spike. But great to be out in the bush and learning something new.

What I'm not sure about is the capabilities of the coils that came with the machine. I happened to have a small piece of gold (0.16 grams) which I put on the ground and waved the 11 inch dd coil over it and nothing happened. I then swapped over and tried the 12 x 15 mono coil and no response. (I did make sure i chose the correct coil type on the machine)

I have the 14 inch elite mono coming but i don't think that is going to pick up small stuff either. Are these coils to big for gold this size or am i not setting the machine up properly? I know that a small coil is better at finding small stuff but i was a bit surprised that it didn't register that 0.16 piece sitting on the surface. When my elite coil arrives (seems they can't keep up with demand at the moment) I'll get myself a small coil i think.

I tried using the factory presets and a couple of other settings that Miners den gave me but i couldn't get a signal on that little nugget.

Anyway a lot of great info on this forum so thanks in advance for any help and ill start reading through some older posts as well to try and learn how to use this thing.

Cheers

Rick

Thanks for the report Rick, I'm sure you will get an informed response.

I ordered one for my brother in law today so will be watching for responses. I have seen a sadie coil in action on a 4500 and i am certain it would pick up a 0.16g nugget a couple of inches deep.

Keen to see what a reasonable expectation on nugget size should be using the supplied coils.

I took an elite demo out and picked up a .16 at about 2 inches so you should be safe there.
What timing were you in?

Put ya 45 in sensitive extra or normal you shouldn't have a problem picking it up in that, or you could also switch it to mono with ya dd on if you don't have a mono, let us know how you go,
I found a .05 gram nugget with my gp extreme that I had with a dd on so it shouldn't be a problem, mind you some pieces of gold can be hard for some detectors to see

Rick its going to take a bit of time to get to know how to set the detector to the best setting to get the best results. The 12x15 are a great coil stable and can punch in deep on targets just a bit heavy with the 11 DD try putting it into mono on the front switch it will surprise you regards john :)

I thought the 15x12 would sound if the coil was waved on the nugget directly. I have found that enhance is the most effective at getting the small stuff. I have the mono elite and I can say that it will get a nugget that size without any dramas providing its not too deep. Even the older nfa 14" round would get them providing they were withing an inch or so of the coil. If you really wanna mop up the small stuff, I highly recommend the 8" commander coil. I have found pieces that don't register on the scales and that an SDC could not see. Not dissing the SDC, they can get stuff the gpx won't see as well. Just trying to give context.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I'm definitely going to get the 8" commander coil when i pick up my mono elite. Next time i'm out i'll try some of your suggestions and see if i can get the larger coils to pick up that .16 piece.

Good point nugget buster. I assumed this was all good as he spoke of making sure he was in the right mode for each coil. Always a possibility though.
If your searching for car doors, running in cancel should be fine :p

Latest posts