Minelab GPX4500 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couldnt agree more. Lets be speculative for a minute. Lets say theres 10 stores in Australia that do 200 detectors thats $22million for aus only. Now think Russia middle east africa america hmmm think they may have a winner

I'll put this out there for some perspective.

Lets say a freind of a freind of mine works for Codan. When I asked about if they could get a staff discount they said yes......half retail price :eek:

BUT, they went on to say that Minelab were selling GPX5000 to Africa for $1000. These were new machines and they were selling them by the container load to Africa. In reality they could keep the discounted price forever and still make profit.

Exactly - marketing smoke & mirrors. The "special" price of $3299 is more than likely what they can cover costs & still make a nice big profit on the excess units. $4199 is the price to motivate people to buy now while the "special" lasts. Meanwhile they are probably hoping to get rid of them all quickly @ $3299.
All companies do similar & run "specials" at high turnover times - Xmas, Easter, Father's Day etc. & then again at other slower times to boost "out of season" sales or get rid of excess stock. Nothing new or sinister.

Dealers are taking orders for 4500 s I asked the price they said they have not been told it, they are only on sale for 2 weeks 17Aus to the end of August then after that they will be $4200 regards john :)

old hand said:
Dealers are taking orders for 4500 s I asked the price they said they have not been told it, they are only on sale for 2 weeks 17Aus to the end of August then after that they will be $4200 regards john :)

why would they say they have not been told? theres at least 6 retailers promoting it at the same price of $3299

The best deal around so far :) I love minersden
http://www.minersden.com.au/minelab-gpx-4500-metal-detector/
1438948437_gpx3.png

Theres A Couple of Reasons they Have released this at this Low Price and that is to Compete with the Whites TDI Pro Oz series, Which It Wont for a simple Reason, People buy the TDI because you can TUNE Out Junk

A person Buys the TDI for a Good Reason and that the 45 Is A Totally different concept and it will Never compete with what the TDI can Do, The 45 is a Great prospecting machine, This Is just Minelab sweating over loss of Sales Caused by Two of their other Machines and Design Faults.

Ive heard good things about the tdi much lighter to swing one of the benefits. The junk issue isnt really anbissue for me with the 4500 i dig all targets and clear and area thoroughly and 9/10 i only start finding gold after ive removed most of the junk about.

Im pretty confident i can tell junk apart from gold/lead. Cant comment on how the whites PIs handle victorian mineralised ground all i do know is garrett struggles immensely

G0lddigg@ said:
Ive heard good things about the tdi much lighter to swing one of the benefits. The junk issue isnt really anbissue for me with the 4500 i dig all targets and clear and area thoroughly and 9/10 i only start finding gold after ive removed most of the junk about.

Im pretty confident i can tell junk apart from gold/lead. Cant comment on how the whites PIs handle victorian mineralised ground all i do know is garrett struggles immensely

I used my 3500 once on A very Old Site and It was torture, I laugh about it Now But I dug the Biggest Hole I have ever Dug because of a metal detector and it was big enough to put an old WB Statesman In To, I got so far and I stopped to take a breather and I was Impressed what A person can do, I found the Target, LOL

It was a 5 ft High Iron Fence that some how had been squashed Flat,

The Machines I buy are Based On My Lack of need to Bury Cars, So I really need some form of Disc feature, Man The Human Race are So Lazy when it comes to Rubbish.

Now Don't get me Started On Bullets, lol

With Iron/steel Junk I have Noticed you Get a Double signal If you are sweeping along the length of an Object and A single one at 90* when you swing Across it, Where Coins and solid Nuggets and Lead just give a Single woo signal from every Direction, if you hear the Double woo walk away,

Ridge Runner said:
Theres A Couple of Reasons they Have released this at this Low Price and that is to Compete with the Whites TDI Pro Oz series, Which It Wont for a simple Reason, People buy the TDI because you can TUNE Out Junk

A person Buys the TDI for a Good Reason and that the 45 Is A Totally different concept and it will Never compete with what the TDI can Do, The 45 is a Great prospecting machine, This Is just Minelab sweating over loss of Sales Caused by Two of their other Machines and Design Faults.
If they wanted to compete with the TDI they would have re-released the SD2200 series but with it restricted to reduce depth. :lol:
The discrimination on them is about as reliable as any other discrimination on any PI detector. Unreliable at best & last resort for gold detecting in my opinion! About as reliable as trusting tones. I've dug speccis that I swore were going to be nails, small tin that sounded like lead or gold & even had a porous piece of gold make the GMT grunt "iron". Solid gold & lead might give fairly predictable signals. Unfortunately not all gold is solid or predictable.
Is the 2 machines design fault you speak of finding too much gold? They both do that pretty well :p
The TDI might do some things better than a 4500 but on our goldfields I'd back the 4500 all day everyday. No mods required!

Discrimination is a wonderful thing that falls in a heap in mineralised soil. The iron reject on the GPXs is very good. If you set it to be aggressive, then you can be sure you'll miss the odd nugget. If you set it low/safe, then you will still dig plenty of small iron because the detector doesnt want to make a mistake.
However....... that screaming tin can next to the track that 300 prospectors have walked around.......what's underneath it?? :eek:

The second hand market will surely take a hit but only for a few weeks while the intro special is on. Anyone who is still swinging a VLF gold beeper or a coin/relic machine, this is an awesome opportunity to get serious.

Ridge Runner said:
With Iron/steel Junk I have Noticed you Get a Double signal If you are sweeping along the length of an Object and A single one at 90* when you swing Across it, Where Coins and solid Nuggets and Lead just give a Single woo signal from every Direction, if you hear the Double woo walk away,

If you walk away from "Double woo" signals then you are risking walking away from gold. Some of my best and biggest nuggets give a "double woo" signal. That applies to all VLF, PI machines that I have used and now the GPZ. I just love those null over centre signals and signals or ones that give a warble especially when they are quiet and obvious deep signals. I am not saying only nuggets give a "double woo", a lot of such signals are steel but not all by far.

If Minelab have the 4500 at $3299 and are saying it will go up 4 weeks later by approximately a grand, what's stopping dealers or grey channellers buying up big and making a quick buck?

Mmmmm now there's a good idea.

Agreed with Phase Tech, get onboard and get out there

Howdy,

Yes we will have the GPX 4500 listed available for sale shortly
with the intro price until end of month.

Should be interesting.

Cheers.
Lee.

Getting A NEW 4500 with A Warranty and Backup Is A Dream Come True, And the Price is about what I paid for my 3500 when it was New, Life does Not Get much better than that,

Argh. I just scrapped together some cash for my first detector, and was intending to get a SDC2300. I like its portability, waterproofness, ease of use, and obvious ability to pickup small gold. It was to be my backup thing for when I'm sick of digging around in rivers, and for the times im hiking up hills and finding large quartz outcrops and left wondering what could be.

I've only been out detecting once, with a borrowed gpx5000. found all the options daunting, but with some help on setup picked up 3 small bits over two days out Dunolly way.

With these being such a good price, Whats your guys thoughts? SDC or should i look more at the 4500. Getting both sounds like the perfect solution but realistically its only going to be one of them.

Latest posts