Minelab GPX4000 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joe what state are you detecting in, from what you have explained it sounds like mineralization I use my detector in fixed and use the green button to keep the detector balanced ,as for coil mono is the way to go regards john :)

Thanks mbasko. Not getting any noise after balancing with the coil stationary. As soon as I start to sweep tone goes up one way then down the other way. Similar to a target sound only its over the length of my sweep. Thanks for links as well

Thanks John. I'm in North Queensland mate. Constantly had to balance. Had it set on tracking. Thanks for your help

What is your rx gain set at? Might need to back it off if you're still struggling.

As mbasko asked, which timing were you in?

Normal, Enhance, Senstitive Smooth, Sharp, etc

This will be dictated by the position of the "Soil Timings" switch on the front panel, and depending on that, the "timings" menu option

I run a gpx 5000 and as i still consider myself a noobie. I had the same problems.

In an area I go, the lighter brown/orange soils are nice and quiet.
I can walk 50m and im on red soil and it noisy as hell.

Its most likely just the ground in your case, drop your gains, sensitive smooth etc to get you going

Search mode- deep
Timings- sensitive
Balance- tracking
Tone 50
Signal 17
Tracking - slow
GB type - gen
Sensitive smooth
Iron reject - off
Man tune- 110
Gain - 13
Motion- v slow
Response normal

JOE what target volume are you using the higher you run it the noisier the detector will be normally around 12 or 13 is fine, moat 5000 are used in fine gold and audio in quiet regards john :)

Joe1973 said:
Search mode- deep
Timings- sensitive
Balance- tracking
Tone 50
Signal 17
Tracking - slow
GB type - gen
Sensitive smooth
Iron reject - off
Man tune- 110
Gain - 13
Motion- v slow
Response normal

If you jeed to run in tracking try upping the tracking speed to medium or if the ground is extremely bad you may need to try fast.
Also I would use a motion of slow to medium unless you are going very very slowly.
Try dropping the gain by a couple of notches at a time too & see if you can get a gain it will settle down at.
If all else fails then I think it may be DD territory. Despite what many have been conditioned to they still serve a purpose & my advice would be to use them when the ground dictates. Continuing with a mono or compensating by dumbing the machine down too much can be more counterproductive than any perceived loss of depth etc. with a DD.

p.s. I would also try your search mode back in General & adjust from there
Is your coil/rx switch in M (Monoloop)? The mono coil should run better in M but you could try it in DD - some people reckon it settles the threshold down but others notice no difference or it might be worse.

I have rx on mono. Next time I'll switch to DD and see what happens. Any suggestions on a good DD coil to run on the 4000? Bye the way, yous guys are awesome. Thanks For all the advice. Joe

Hey all
I,m lokking for a battery for my gpx4000
Spare battery,s for sdc and one of those head phone adapter to take 1/4 socket .
Any help or links would be gratefully appreciated .

If you are running a mono in hot ground, use Sensitive Smooth timing.

For DD coil, try Normal timing and coil Rx on DoubleD.

Stick to General mode while you are learning the machine.

Do an Auto Tune at the start of the session, then ground balance often.

Cheers

Latest posts