Minelab GP Extreme tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes think you may be right,will back off tomorrow.cheers.
PhaseTech said:
It's hit and miss running the GP's beyond 7V. You don't get any performance benefit so I wouldn't risk it. Components don't get better with age ;)

Just wondering how the top cover of the battery comes off without damaging it. Battery is dead but bought a replacement but need to put the top on it

Joby1 said:
Just wondering how the top cover of the battery comes off without damaging it. Battery is dead but bought a replacement but need to put the top on it
Hi Mate, Just run a knife round the edge and prize gently it will lift you will kneed a solder iron to undo the wires and solder to the new battery, save &60.00 on a complete set up, Hope this helps, Ron.

Hi all, I was just after some opinions on the Minelab GP Extreme. I have found a second hand extreme for $1500 on gum tree, and it is local to me so I can check before buying. is it worth purchasing it at that price, or should I keep saving for something better ?

I sold one 6 months ago with 6 coils, spare shafts, speaker, new bits eg. arm rest, grip for $1,650.
I also did the ground balance mod.
They are a great machine

I was in the same boat as you a couple of months ago, ended up with a new 4500, probably pick up a NF evo coil when I have learned it a bit.
The way I looked at it was it's a 15-20yr old sensitive bit of electrical equipment, lots of the second hand ones look banged around, the coils would have taken a beating and the battery was probably knackered too, another $1800 got me a new one with three year warranty.
But I'm sure there are plenty of clean well looked after units around.

Hi everyone
I have been fortunate in getting a Minelab GP Extreme with an Extreme 1100 coil from an uncle of mine, who purchased it new but never got to use it. The batteries where had it as they had been sitting for years without charge, so i have replaced them, the machine looks like it came out of the shop yesterday and seems to works fine. I've been practising with it trying to get to know the setting and stuff on a small vial with a tiny bit of gold in it.

Anyway i guess my question is, Is the GP Extreme and Extreme 1100 coil, a decent machine/set up?

thanks all, happy hunting

hi and welcome mate
some one will get back to you when the get home with all their gold they are finding ]:D ]:D ]:D ]:D
1515379024_10.jpg

The GP extreme was and still is a very powerful machine. They are not as sensitive as a SDC2300 is, and they are a bit behind the GPX series in terms of running mono coils in hot ground, but they are still a good work horse with good sensitivity and good punch. Lots and lots of info on this site re settings on the GP series. But if you get stuck, just ask. The GP series still have the best audio response in my opinion of any gold detector. They were the last of the analogues.

last time I was at Tibooburra I was using a gp extreme with a 12 volt battery system a ground balance button and a 14x7 mono nugget finder coil a friend was using a 5000 and there were not many days that we ended up with the same amount of gold they are a good detector regards john :Y:

Can't wait to get a day off so i can get out there and have a go.

@7.62marksman, love the avatar been a while since i used one of them.

So i'm a newbie to this, i have an GP extreme with two coils a extreme 1100 and an extreme 1800. I've searched and searched, the answers are harder to find that gold...
Apart from size and weight, what's the difference between these two coils. is there specific times to use them or is it just the 1800 is much bigger and can scan more area? Ive been using the 1100 as its a bit easier in and around grass and trees, Ive only used the 1800 once, being a newbie i didn't notice any difference.

Hi mate, as a general rule of thumb.... smaller coil more sensitive to shallower smaller gold and larger coil more sensitive to larger deeper gold.

The 11" coil though is a good general purpose coil and has surprising depth ability. Back when I had an extreme, I had good success with the coiltek joeys.

The big 18" is a very good coil, just a tad on the heavy size, and you need open areas to swing it. It is quite deadly using E (on the coil switch), Sensitive and Deep.

Latest posts