MINELAB F1A4 ex military metal detectors - tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my Treasuremate11 for the F1A4.today. it is well made has a socket for headphones if battery goes dead-just plugin earbuds etc. Good volume. Bit of a bugger having to unscrew 4 screws in the back of it to replaced the battery. Good strong clip on back of unit to attach to belt or harness,
Pleased.
Jaros :p

Jaros, what is the sound like with and without headphones? I mean does the booster colour the sound, add any hiss or distortion?

Thanks, Nenad

Nenad, the sound is loud enough for me,clear and distortion free. When i opened up the box to put the 9v battery-(it comes with it) I was surprised as to the lack of visible electronic gear inside. Bit of a bugger having to unscrew 4 screws in the back of it to replaced the battery. All possible things to move are silicon-ed in place well put together. The lead is approx 1 metre long with grey shielded wire terminating on a 1/4 mono plug. Good strong clip for belt or harness.
I am pleased.
Jack 8)

Just fit my F1A4 onto some fibreglass/composite shafts, man it looks sweet and it's more evenly balanced now. Love it... :D
1414391691_f1a4newshafts.jpg

What sort of weight change have you had. Is it lighter as well as being more evenly balanced. What coil do you have there?? I have the 12" Nuggetfinder Mono. as well as buying a 15" x 12" SEF DD Butterfly coil on the way. I am also getting a Deteknix PP-X Pi pointer from the USA.$131.45) Christmas is a little early.
Cheers

The weight difference isn't much but with the control box back further it feels nicely balanced which to me feels like it swings smooth and easy. Also the other advantage is the coil mounts better than on the original shaft which was the only thing that I was not really happy with but now it's great. Jaros the coil in the photo is a 11" comander mono.

I'm pretty sure that the original shafts are fibreglass/composite anyway so I wasn't expecting any difference in weight. I would've liked carbonfibre shafts.

Hi BF. I have just had the latest edition of Australian Gold Gem and Treasure delivered. Great magazine.
On page 46 there is a story titled "From Land Mine Detector to Gold Detector".
It describes the F1A4 from its introduction in the 1990's to now, with the lev 1+2 mods being done.
The last paragraph states "I noticed the F1A4 start up sound is identical to the the new SDC2300 that recently hit the market"
Well heavens to murgatroyde i think I am proud to own one now as another part also states that it has feature that "for a 15-20 year old detector it, in some cases, outperforms current offerings in the market place".
Jaros - proud owner F1A4M2
:lol:

Sweet, my copy wasn't in the box this morning 8.(

I noticed that the start up sound was the same as the SDC when I was watching a youtube clip last week.

Cheers, Ron

Bugger, now I can't help thinking that I should go check the mail again. It'll be a long week at work thinking about the mag, as I fly out to work tomorrow morning before daylight.

Noncents...Could you please inform me of where you saw that adaptor for the f1a4 coil, or an addy where I can obtain a couple. I think it might fit the SDC 2300.

Best regards Hotrocks

Hotrocks said:
Noncents...Could you please inform me of where you saw that adaptor for the f1a4 coil, or an addy where I can obtain a couple. I think it might fit the SDC 2300.

Best regards Hotrocks
Hi Hotrocks the adaptor for the coil is for a military type of connection which the F1A4 uses, and I'm not sure it will fit the SDC but the link above by Magilla on ebay is the better priced one and the seller is a top bloke :).
If you are after the headphone adaptor Nenad from Phase Tech sells them on here.

Hi All

Can anyone tell me the part number for the coil connector on the original 8" coil that comes with the F1A4. The Mil-spec number if possible. it would be something like "MS21456-10L" for example. The number around the locking ring.

Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone

I've decided to get myself a PI detector, I currently have a Whites GMT but want the extra depth so I can strike it rich and retire (I'm joking in case you didn't pick up on it).

I've been reading on this forum and GGT about the F1A4, I've also recently bought Jack Langes dvds, great watching.

Ideally I'd like to buy a F1 unmodded and get Woody to mod it for me, I think he offers a 5 year warranty on his mods (correct me if I'm wrong) whereas Jack Lange only offers a 1 year warranty. It doesn't appear as though Woody sells them but I figured if there was an issue with one I bought from him or had modded ( I'm thinking years down the track here ) there'd be no dramas packing it off for repairs, seems a bit rude getting him to repair one if he didn't do the original work on it.

I want to run large coils to pick up the big uns.

I'm not sure whether to look around for an unmodded Minelab, say a Extreme or 3500 and get it modded (even though they seem to work well with big coils on anyway, I could get one and save up while using it in the meantime) or get the already modded Jack Lange detector, it seems there are no unmodded F1's around or at least they're very rare. I'm leaning slightly to getting Jacks, thus saving on getting a Extreme/3500 modded and putting the extra $'s towards a good coil. I also like the fact people are saying they seem to run quieter.

What are your thoughts and opinions fellow diggers? I'd appreciate your advice.

Thanks in advance

D

If your price range is in the realm of a modded F1A4, go for an umodded 3500. In milder ground you can run a mono coil, in hotter ground just run a 14-18"dd, and medium tracking. The 3500 already has all the "mods" you need. 3 tracking speeds, ground balance button on the handle, Deep mode, Signal control, Iron Reject, Cancel & Mono modes. They have come down a lot in price over the last 6 months, so are the best bang for the buck imho.

For me, the 3500 still has the best audio! Teamed up with a 15" Commander DD or a Coiltek pro coil they are a awesome combo.

Nenad

Latest posts