Tech help needed please.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gudday all,

Seeking your tech advice.

I am a newby and rather than spending several hundreds (or thousands) on a top-end detector I wanted to give it a go first before sinking that much in. I purchased a cheap Garrett DD very similar to the one in the pic.

I went out for a few hours today in an area known to have alluvial gold and it beeped almost non-stop. I also employed a pin-pointer without luck as I still don't know how to set it properly. Both came with hardly any instructions.

My main question is, What is the "p/p target" button used for and how does one use it?

PP is pinpoint. Once you have a repeatable target signal push and hold the button in and slowly go over where the signal was left to right forward and back. Where the signal is at it loudest, is the area that the target should be.

Dave

Thank you both. Makes sense. However I also noted that p/p squealed even when pointed at the sky... there was no golden sunset either. I guess I need to play with it some more.

Cheers.

A: What Pin pointer - Model etc...

Many do not like mineralised ground and some will interfere with some detectors.

B: I can not see the Pic of your machine and a cheap Garrett DD - does not say much..

You need to identify it and then see about a manual...

But my guess is that it may not be suitable for the area you are detecting in.

Latest posts