MINELAB F1A4 ex military metal detectors - tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all, just thought I would throw my 2 cents in.....for what it is worth!
"One" of my detectors is the F1A4, I have used it for around 30 hours or so in the field and have found gold with it, small gold at that too.... 0.23 grams. So, yes it does find trash, it finds very small pieces of lead shot, and it finds gold with the standard fitted coil. I like it, simple to use and quite cost effective. I have since added the audio plug, ground balance momentary switch and coil adapter.
I do have a few coils for it, but I seem to go back and put the standard on a lot!
(Pic is magnified for info)

1412593670_gold_nungget.jpg

Chris

Got to test out my machine, found lots of junk but the detector seemed very nice and quiet. Got the odd false signal which I learned to Ground Balance and the signal disappeared. Need to buy one of those covers that have the stable bottom when you put the detector down. My bungee cord/ backpack worked well. Pinged a lead piece that looked like gold even when I dug it out some 6 inches down in what appeared virgin soil, the nug was yellow until the dirt washed off and the lead appeared. Was 100% it was gold and then massive disappointment. Very happy if its pinging like that I now just have to walk over the right spot. It was hot and snakey on the weekend so ended up banking a gram for a few hours easy high banking instead. Windeyer is a top spot!

hahaha know the feeling when you think its definatly a nugget only to be disappointed at the last second. 8.( .
hopefully u have some luck next time atleast u were able to get some gold to satisfy your cravings, if only for a short while

Have been following the posts on the F1A4 for a while now and have just finished the basic mods of audio, coil plugs & quick trak button, thank you to all the contributors in this regard. just need to work out a way to attach a bungy. Haven't had a chance to try it out in the field yet but seems to work OK in the back yard. I have experienced that lead shot feeling many times in the past Twapster hopefully can find some yellow next time I get to central Vic.

My F1A4 Bungee is a bungee cord with as double knot at the shaft end being strapped to the shaft below the control box using 2 black UV proof cable ties. The other end is a heavy duty plastic hook which in my case and i think Twapsters just clips over a strap on the backpack harness-quite simple.
Cheers

petere said:
Have been following the posts on the F1A4 for a while now and have just finished the basic mods of audio, coil plugs & quick trak button, thank you to all the contributors in this regard. just need to work out a way to attach a bungy. Haven't had a chance to try it out in the field yet but seems to work OK in the back yard. I have experienced that lead shot feeling many times in the past Twapster hopefully can find some yellow next time I get to central Vic.

Yep I uses a metal ring and zip tied it to the shaft, did the same on the backpack strap near shoulder and sorted the right length bungee strap so it is weightless just touching the ground with no support. Works well.

Just wanna ping a nugget next time not a nugget looking piece of lead!!

Am finding the cable ties slip up the shaft. I thought I might see if I can find a nylon bow knuckle like the ones on the GPX & modify it to suit the F1 shaft.

They don't look very "nice" when they fray.!!
You could place the tape over the hose clip. Come to think of it i wonder if the metal clip would have any effect on the sensitivity or would the coil pick up the metal?? :eek:
I think you can get plastic hose clips???

Not sure what you mean by a monitor amp but I made up an amp for mine using a potentiometer, on/off switch, plastic jiffy box, 6.5mm input cable & outlet socket, all from Jaycar, 3 aa batteries & a PAM8403 mini board 2 * 3W Class D digital amplifier from ebay. Stuck to the side of my F1A4 with velcro. Am happy with the way it works.

Clocked up 15 hours with my F1 and got onto this bit. I have only done audio, coil socket and GB button mods and a Li-Ion battery mod. I was using a 24 x 12 UFO to find the nugget but I needed to put a smaller coil on to actually get it out of the ground. I couldn't pin point it with the UFO and it was a really mellow signal. It screamed at the 14 x 9 Coiltec though. I knew it was gold because the ground I got it out of took some pretty hard swinging of the pick to break it up. There has gotta be more there. It was getting too late in the day to keep swinging ! Hopefully I will head back there this week with a rake and clean up.
PA170079.jpg

Latest posts