Minelab Equinox 800 tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Diggertrev said:
heading down to the golden triangle in a month with my friends and there
Flash 9000 odd dollar detectors wouldn't it be great to fluke a good one and show them up LOL.
a dream/illusion most nox owners have :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Heatho said:
Why so negative all the time Dickie? The Nox certainly can find gold. Did you miss the 12 grammer HTY got with his ATGold? :)
not negative 8) but i see folk buying these machines as a near dedicated gold machine :eek: yes they are good :cool: but a gold monster would be a better option at the price point :Y:
folk are finding gold 8) but .............

ctxkid said:
Heatho said:
Why so negative all the time Dickie? The Nox certainly can find gold. Did you miss the 12 grammer HTY got with his ATGold? :)
not negative 8) but i see folk buying these machines as a near dedicated gold machine :eek: yes they are good :cool: but a gold monster would be a better option at the price point :Y:
Give it time.. :D ...Im sure alot will disagree :D :Y:

In modern pi times and turn and go offerings like the sdc it's easy to forget that it wasn't so long ago the only options for detecting were vlfs.

Just here on PA alone there are related stories of pieces found with many differing machines including Monster, gmt, deus, at pro, mxt, 705, ctx etc from many different Goldfields.

Now I'm not for one minute suggesting that anyone using a vlf has a good or even great chance especially in the regular conditions of known gold areas, but I find it unfortunate that some are quick to dismiss the idea almost outright.

It's a numbers game, and the bloke swinging a vlf in the right area with a well tuned machine can indeed still have a shot. Those who used to swing a vlf back in the day, or who regularly do now would tell you a proper electronic prospector is better off having skills on both types of tech, even if the greater result comes from the pi.

I would be the first in line to say have a swing out there, the Nox may be overhyped, sure, but it doesn't mean it can't find gold. To think otherwise is kind of nieve. Side by side the Monster and the Nox my nod goes to the Monster but the Nox isn't as far behind as some would make out.

Sure I've heard about its inability to be used on hot ground (as is the struggle with all vlfs) but what Minelab did do is give you the options to allow it to be used customizing the target responses and ground tracking, and if you understand what you want it to try and do you can make it do it.

A single tone vlf beeper will get slayed by the Nox. That's my 2c worth. Any way I'm yet to see any reports or field tests in Aussie conditions on small gold that rule out small gold target responses of a clear and repeatable nature by someone who knows and understands how to use the Nox.I've seen a few videos of random swinging with the machine set incorrectly for the conditions. You have to put gold in the ground to test it on the ground your detecting. Anyone expecting to pull a Nox out of the box, turn it on and swing looking for gold will be dissapointed. Learn it, tune it, set it, swing it like every other detector ever manufactured. Then come show me why you think it's unsuitable. It's not just the Nox on gold, I see this same thing with certain other machines, when it's not understood then it's dismissed. I say say try and set it up so it can, not just say it can't.

Cheers.

Ps Edit. I've found enough birdshot and small lead to cast enough sinkers for next fishing season haha. The Nox is almost sdc like in its ability to find tiny lead.

ctxkid said:
Heatho said:

Fair call. I am interested though to see if people can regularly find small gold with the 6" coil though.

Heatho said:
ctxkid said:
Heatho said:

Fair call. I am interested though to see if people can regularly find small gold with the 6" coil though.

If the 6 does for the nox what it does for the ctx :cool: which by all reports it does :Y: no ground will be left untouched ;)

Sorry it's probably been answered 1000 times already .

On the equinox800 does it have the tid rubbish bin feature like the 705 does?

Cheers.

turn all metal off and everything above that you are pretty much what you looking for that's all I run and I do well in parks and fields and watch your numbers

Hi Everyone not sure how to put this into words but here goes :D
I find with my Equinox 800 that it appears to have a brain fade sometimes
or maybe it's me lol.
Sometimes I will pick up on a target nice and strong dig it get it into my plug.
Run the detector over it and get nothing Ill then level out the plug still nothing.
Then all of a sudden I swing again and I will once again get the strong signal again.
Any ideas?
Diggertrev.

Mineralised ground maybe.?

Sometimes I have a problem with pinpointing the signal and I have to switch back let the machine find it again then pinpoint.
I am assuming its to do with the auto ground balance.

I don't understand the fact that I will swing over the target 5 or so times get nothing then the next swing it is back to normal nice strong signal again it,s really weird.
Sacredsite said:
Mineralised ground maybe.?

Sometimes I have a problem with pinpointing the signal and I have to switch back let the machine find it again then pinpoint.
I am assuming its to do with the auto ground balance.

Maybe it's just a test or maybe there is a problem 8)

Maybe ask for a second opinion from brother 600/800 owner who lives "close by" or go to your local shop if there is one,being in Victoria there must be someone close by :)

I hope I have stimulated your juices

Good luck :Y:

The Scrounger said:
Maybe it's just a test or maybe there is a problem 8)

Maybe ask for a second opinion from brother 600/800 owner who lives "close by" or go to your local shop if there is one,being in Victoria there must be someone close by :)

I hope I have stimulated your juices

Good luck :Y:

I am stimulated LOL I have posted it on the Equinox 800 facebook page and am currently in discussion LOL thanks, mate :)

When this happens, what does the target end up being?
Or is there no locatable target?

I have found this, and sometimes it is one of two things.

1. A target at depth with a lot of ferrous junk around it (as others said, also highly mineralised ground).
Also pin pointing can be hard as it doesn't discriminate, so near a lot of junk it just goes crazy.

2. A big piece of ferrous metal that is deep, or a few closely together.

My main thing with the NOX is if the signal repeats, dig it, if it doesn't, I check for iron, increase sensitivity and check at all angles. Sometimes a coin can be upright at depth amongst ferrous items and it will have these exact same symptoms as you described. And the signal is only picked up at just one particular angle and height.
Always worth investigating, but that is the beauty of our hobby. The mystery.

Good luck

PS. I have played with iron bias when this has happened but it didn't seem to help either way, so I just left it on stock.
Adjusting my coil swing speed also works to clear up those iffy signals, but I have noticed sometimes that too slow, can be too slow. It needs to be the right swing speed for the environment and settings.

I only find targets ghosting if I'm at the wrong angle.

Could also be the coil isn't swiping over the target properly.

Latest posts