Minelab Equinox 800 tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cando said:
GPX Shafe may do the trick. appears to be the same size 22 mm with an inner size of 19 mm lower shafe slide straight in.

Do you have the GPX shaft setup on the equinox Cando or were you just measuring it. My 800 shaft is pretty poor quality it has movement in the joints and the cam lock work's loose on the top joint after a little while using it.... I would reckon it would be even worse in the salt water with waves hitting it.

Smoky bandit said:
I don't pull mine apart but if it gets to loose a bit of sikaflex around the joints.... tighten up and let set :Y:

Thanks yeah thats an option, I have been putting a bit of cling-wrap on the shaft first it seems to help a little, but really we shouldn't have to do this to a new detector. I have talked to minelab about it last week and they said they had no knowledge of any shaft issues. lol

rockdev said:
Smoky bandit said:
I don't pull mine apart but if it gets to loose a bit of sikaflex around the joints.... tighten up and let set :Y:

Thanks yeah thats an option, I have been putting a bit of cling-wrap on the shaft first it seems to help a little, but really we shouldn't have to do this to a new detector. I have talked to minelab about it last week and they said they had no knowledge of any shaft issues. lol
I think is all equinoxs :Y: A guy on YouTube put a bit of duct tape on the joints an said it could now tighten ..But would work loose over time:Y:

rockdev said:
Cando said:
GPX Shafe may do the trick. appears to be the same size 22 mm with an inner size of 19 mm lower shafe slide straight in.

Do you have the GPX shaft setup on the equinox Cando or were you just measuring it. My 800 shaft is pretty poor quality it has movement in the joints and the cam lock work's loose on the top joint after a little while using it.... I would reckon it would be even worse in the salt water with waves hitting it.
No I havent, just measured it all up. I used to GPX shafts on the gold Monster 1000 and it worked nicely..

Cando said:
rockdev said:
Cando said:

No I havent, just measured it all up. I used to GPX shafts on the gold Monster 1000 and it worked nicely..

Cheers thanks for the info something to keep in mind :Y:

Cando said:
GPX Shafe may do the trick. appears to be the same size 22 mm with an inner size of 19 mm lower shafe slide straight in. The upper 2 shaft on the equinox come to about 900 mm where the upper shaft for the GPX is 820 mm so 80mm shorter.. and after a couple of quick measurements I've got a spare 160 mm so I can afford to lose 80mm on on the upper shaft.. yeah I'm waiting for it all the genitalia jokes ;) :lol:

Might want to measure the GPX Shafe again.

The lower Shafe from an Equinox does not slide straight in to an upper GPX Shafe

Nuggetbuster said:
Cando said:
GPX Shafe may do the trick. appears to be the same size 22 mm with an inner size of 19 mm lower shafe slide straight in. The upper 2 shaft on the equinox come to about 900 mm where the upper shaft for the GPX is 820 mm so 80mm shorter.. and after a couple of quick measurements I've got a spare 160 mm so I can afford to lose 80mm on on the upper shaft.. yeah I'm waiting for it all the genitalia jokes ;) :lol:

Might want to measure the GPX Shafe again.

The lower Shafe from an Equinox does not slide straight in to an upper GPX Shafe
I will recheck tomorrow but I'm guessing you already have :Y: so at the end of the day it's going to cost another $40 for a lower shaft... I know it fits onto the coil just have to bore out the bolthole a smidgen to take the equinox slightly larger mounting bolt to go through.. thanks nuggetBuster for pointing out my error :Y: :) I'll pick up a up shaft this week and see how it all goes together. I've plenty of lower shafts.

Ok we have worked out but you can't use the equinox lower shaft in the GPX upper shaft.. so I have used both the GPX upper and lower shaft you will have to drill some new holes one for the armrest I drilled 3 for adjustment of different arm lengths. You also need to drill a locating hole for underneath the handpiece/control box. Took me all of 10 minutes maybe 15mins cause I kept on losing the drill bit and screws :rolleyes: anyways is all together added benefits of these shaft is it can be a lot more compact.. this is a big bonus for me because it means I can put two detectors in the bag.
1525147506_20180501_134719-816x612.jpg

1525147536_20180501_134653-816x612.jpg

How is the weight and balance now after swapping shafts?
I've been watching this thread with interest as I am/was weeks away from buying the EQ 800, these issues are no big deal if the solution is as good or better :Y:

ProspectorPete said:
I've been watching this thread with interest as I am/was weeks away from buying the EQ 800, these issues are no big deal if the solution is as good or better :Y:
To me it feels no difference in weight and balance. If it's a word I should be using it my age but it doesn't feel as wobbly.. yep hi tech Lingo hear.. overall the shaft is slightly shorter but nothing for me to worry about the fact that it's close it down to a smaller size works well for me for transporting underneath caravan bed.. by the way for you taller guys out there I'm approx 184 cm :) :Y:

Cando said:
ProspectorPete said:
To me it feels no difference in weight and balance. If it's a word I should be using it my age but it doesn't feel as wobbly.. yep hi tech Lingo hear.. overall the shaft is slightly shorter but nothing for me to worry about the fact that it's close it down to a smaller size works well for me for transporting underneath caravan bed.. by the way for you taller guys out there I'm approx 184 cm :) :Y:
Awesome thanks Cando, exactly what I was hoping to hear :Y:

That's why you need a cupboard full of detectors Smokey :Y:

Yer mate..But I cant have more than one unless they are both completely different... think it's an as autism thing :D :Y:One more week and they have had it as long as I have :mad:

Heatho said:
That is a bit rough taking so long to replace a battery, you'd think it would be a fast and very easy job for them....
Would have taken Them 10mins max Heatho but I suppose they work on them in order they arrive :/

Latest posts