Broken Coils 800

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shakergt

Moderating Team
Reaction score
Not impressed. New machine and not even 6 weeks old. The dreeded coil tab strikes again. If I had known about this before I brought the 800 I would not have got it. Besides the 3D print and coil savers is there any other fix to prevent this? Obviously minelab have not addressed this issue.

Attachments

• 20230211_151036.jpg
    20230211_151036.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 1
It's pretty bloody crap isn't it. The price they are charging for things and then the high mortality rate is getting out of control. Spitting out truckloads of cheaply made units for huge prices and then just replace things as they break - surely that can't be an intended, purposeful business plan? Can it? I suppose if the margins are so high 🤷‍♂️

From a personal perspective Minelab are starting to lose me as one of their faithful. Their products work well but only when they actually work and that is becoming really hit and miss. And the chipping of their coils is another deterrent. I can see the detectorist that actually knows a thing or two and follows the forums to be slowly turning away from Minelab in protest. Unfortunately the beginner who hasn't done their research will likely go on blindly thinking they are buying a quality product - more expensive means better doesn't it?

When it comes time to update my gear the Garret 24K and Axiom pair will be seriously looked at. And considering Minelab were an Australian company and showed Australian ingenuity I think it is sad that I can no longer have confidence in their product to survive out in the field.

ShakerGT - send it back for a new one under warranty and hope like hell the next one isn't the same ☹️

I'm holding onto my perfectly working GPX 6000 11' coil with fine cracks in its ears and a crack in the cable insertion point out of fear that the replacement might be a dud. And the replacement for the replacement might be a dud. I've heard of 1 bloke who is on his fourth 11" coil!! 😳 How can you plan a remote trip with that sort of a failure rate following behind?

Bloody frustrating Minelab 😤

I have sent it back. I did consider getting a XP ORX but got the minelab as I have a deeler close by.

I must have been fortunate. I still have my 800 since I pre-ordered it and have had no coil issues whatsoever. I use the 15" or 10x5 Coiltek coil more nowadays with a carbon fibre set up but all my coils have never had any issues (I worry more about wire degradation which I have seen on some of my older detectors). Most of dragging it is thru water at beaches but not on soil/sand...still hold true to the old skool 1/2 to 1 inch above ground sweep.

I must have been fortunate. I still have my 800 since I pre-ordered it and have had no coil issues whatsoever. I use the 15" or 10x5 Coiltek coil more nowadays with a carbon fibre set up but all my coils have never had any issues (I worry more about wire degradation which I have seen on some of my older detectors). Most of dragging it is thru water at beaches but not on soil/sand...still hold true to the old skool 1/2 to 1 inch above ground sweep.

How do you find the coiltek? I am thinking of getting one and using the 11 inch minelab as a spare

How do you find the coiltek? I am thinking of getting one and using the 11 inch minelab as a spare
I took the EQ800 up to Clermont and found the 10x5 coil to hold up very well in the minerialised soil up there. Found a few tiny gold specs loud and clear and at reasonable depth. No PI the EQ800 but I was pleasantly surprised that I could pull small gold using the Gold progammes. I haven't had much opportunity to use the 10x5 out in the non-gold fields and usually use the 15" for the beach. Target separation of the 10x5 definitely appears better than the 11" and with depths of 8"+ it works well so if you do park hunting, I'd wholly recommend it.

Latest posts