Metal Detector advice $500 to $1500

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
xterra 705 700ish
makro racer 800ish, racer 2 1100 ish (might be your best option)
ace 400i 500ish
atpro 1200ish
fisher f70 1100 ish

Would be others.

Hopperlea said:
Hello gents,
I'm looking to go out detecting, I'll be looking for anything really coins, rusty relics jewellery anything at all. My question is what would be a real good first unit to buy to go dont leave ya pan an higho out detecting . I've never done this before . I see eBay has units from 100 bucks upto 5000 bucks.
Cheers Hopper
Half a life time ago my first detector was a minelab soverign gt . In far nth qld i got my money back in 6 months .If i knew what i was doing and we had forums like this one i would i would have got my money back in one month .I have had a few detectors since then but believe me because i cut my teeth on a old soverign it does not take me too long to work out the new digital ones .(Still got the soverign and still the best beach detector i have ) all ways remember that over 90% off gold recovered was in dust so dont leave u pan and hignbankers in the shed . For every 10 oz off nuggets u get u have walked over 90 oz off gold dust that is only a little more difficult to get . IF i was starting now i prob go a xterra 750 to learn on . If i was rich go the expensive suckers .

Cool I'll source out the xterra , now I'll need somewhere to go and maybe someone to take me out and show me the basics.
Cheers
Hopper

Hopperlea said:
Cool I'll source out the xterra , now I'll need somewhere to go and maybe someone to take me out and show me the basics.
Cheers
Hopper
When u buy it book in for a lesson

Hopperlea said:
Cheers
Hopper

G'day Hopper,

Not sure if it's been sold yet but you wont' get a better deal on the 705 than this (from a long time/ trusted member ;) ) :

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=19102

Good luck its a great machine.

Cheers,

Billy.

A small hand held detector to pin point the target or targets inside the hole or plug, saves time and mess :)

Hi all.
Just wondering what opinions people have on what would be the best detector for east Gippsland region? Mainly in the alpine area around Omeo and Benambra. I'm not chasing gold just coins and old relics around old home sites. I'm just unsure about what detector would suit the ground conditions the best. I'm new to detecting and currently have a garret ace350 which has been OK as a learning machine but want to upgrade. I'm thinking a Garret AT pro or a Minelab Safari but I'm open to suggestions. Price range between $1000 - $1800.
Any info and suggestions would be much appreciated.
Cheers.

Welcome to the forum RRCJP,

Plenty of knowledge available here from experienced operators but your current detector will definately find shallow targets. The differing technology employed by what ever equipment you choose to use can assist but it's research that'll give you the edge by putting you on the spot. A new detector will not advantage you if you're not in the right place (you cannot harvest beans in a desert). So find out where the race course was, and work out where the betting ring may have been situated and go for it! ... the garret ace350 will not let you down.

casper

I think for what your wanting to do & price bracket there are a number of machines that would be very good. It would more depend on what bells & whistles you want + what set up would suit you more individually.
Nothing wrong with the 2 you have mentioned but in that price range there are probably others that can offer more like (these are some examples only of well regarded machines - there are plenty of others):
Nokta Fors Relic http://phasetechnical.com.au/product/nokta-fors-relic-detector/
XP Deus Lite or RC only https://detectorist.com.au/collections/all/xp-deus-rc-only
Minelab E-trac (if your considering the Safari) http://www.minelab.com/metal-detectors/treasure-detectors/e-trac
A lot of "advice" will come down to people's own personal preference so I'll leave you with it + wish you well in your decision/choice :D

Hi All,
After much thought I'm considering purchasing my first Detector.

I have recently purchased 2 cheapies for the kids and waiting for those to arrive.

I'm currently looking at the best Detector that I can get within my $1300.00 budget and will predominantly be prospecting for gold.
Naturally, I would like the option to hunt for other treasures as well but realistically I'm mainly after gold atm.

I have been looking at the Minelab range and really like the looks of the Safari Pro and the Eureka.

I have also seen that the XTerra 705 and the ETrac are also good machines.

I just need opinions and advice on the best Detector for my mentioned purpose within my $1300.00 budget.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers,
Dave

old hand said:
Dave for $1300 you are looking for a second hand sd2200, gp extreme, 3000 or if you lucky a 3500, to be finding gold the other detectors you mentioned are not the best for looking for gold regards john :)

Hi John,
Thankyou for your input mate, much appreciated.

Just out of curiosity, what is the Nokta Range like in comparison to Minelab models that you mentioned above?

The Nokta FORS GOLD Pro Package actually looks quite good.

We have all been there trying to decide what detector ,my first detector back in 1980 was a whites 5000 totally wrong detector for the job I used it for 12 month for zero ,back then no net only the detector retailers to go on I was give the wrong advice.Just look on this forum what detector are doing the job and you tube regards john :)

IF I hold off buying maybe for a month or 2 longer and put a few more $$ up, then would the Deus be worth a look or would it be better to stick with the Minelab range?

I've seen a few GP3000 for $1700 and a 2200 for $1700 .... I'm actually really peeved right now because I found a local selling a GP3000 for $1250.00 but he doesn't reply to messages.

How does the Deus compare to the GP/X range and the SD?

A green sd 2200 $1000 to $1400 I have seen gp extreme for $1300 look on some of the face book detector sights.
The Deus a friend has one but he only uses it for relic hunting and hid ML for nugget hunting
If I had the choice off a sd2200 and a deus looking for gold then then the deus would be gathering dust ,I would use the sd2200
the best advice just save a bit more and look at gum tree face book ebay regards john :)

Latest posts