Metal Detector advice $500 to $1500

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sounds like a GP Extreme for 800 to 1000 dollars or a GP 3000 for 1200 would do the job better than any VLF for the money

i reckon their dam good value for starting out occasionally

good luck
Dave

The SDC is $100 per day.....GPX 4500 is $80 per day...and there are a couple different coin/relic machines available for hire as well...705....305...Fors Gold.
No GPX for hire....they keep selling them....lol

Narrawa said:
The SDC is $100 per day.....GPX 4500 is $80 per day...and there are a couple different coin/relic machines available for hire as well...705....305...Fors Gold.
No GPX for hire....they keep selling them....lol
Not cheap are they.

Neither is buying one.
You could hire a VLF like the Xterra 705 or Nokta Fors Gold which should be a fair bit cheaper. At least if you hire first you'll know a bit more before committing to a purchase - most importantly you'll know if the hobby is for you or not?

I have been panning for awhile and always wanted to get into detecting as well for another option so to see if I like it or not isn't really a option for me. I already like it.

Panning & detecting are fairly different but my advice would be to save more & get something better if serious about gold. If you want something sooner then theres plenty of options for around $1000 both new & used.
PI detectors
- theres 2 x used Whites TDI's (1 a SL) for sale on here.
- used Minelab SD series & maybe GP series
VLF's
- new Makro Gold Racer (used pro pack on eBay $900)
- new Minelab Xterra 705
- new Makro Racer or Racer 2
- new Nokta Fors Gold
- used Whites GMT/MXT or Garrett AT Gold or Fisher F19/Gold Bug Pro or Teknetics G2
If you are only going to be chasing gold I'd be more inclined to recommend a higher frequency detector like the Gold Racer or a cheap used GMT. If you want versatility then the Xterra 705 or Nokta/Makro machines would be good options new.

I have seriously been looking at the garrett at gold and nearly completely sold on that but they say the sdc 2300 is way better. This true?

from my limited experience, Ive used a TDI, an MXT and 4500 GPX, and the most gold Ive personally seen found, came from SDC,s.

Yeah that seems to be what everyone says. I'm
Starting to lean more to the sdc. I think that will be a better machine for longer and hopefully pay for itself eventually

A quick scan over the gold finds section will give you a good idea of what detectors consistently find gold, though research also has a big role to play on being successful. ;)

Last trip to Hill End I found my first tiny piece from there in 20 mins with my SDC, then nothing for the next 2 days.... Anyway, you certainly can't go wrong with the SDC, it's a great little detector. I've found many other tiny bits of gold with it from other spots though.

Hello,
I live in Black Rock Victoria, old beach and rocky. Do you believe that I can find coins and stones?
What detector do you recommend for a new starter within a budget of $500-1000
Thank you

Welcome to the forum Lozzie, you might also keep an eye on the for sale section on here, and worth a look on Ebay as well.

Mike.

Hello gents,
I'm looking to go out detecting, I'll be looking for anything really coins, rusty relics jewellery anything at all. My question is what would be a real good first unit to buy to go out detecting . I've never done this before . I see eBay has units from 100 bucks upto 5000 bucks.
Cheers Hopper

Latest posts