Metal Detector advice $500 or under

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with ramjet. Id go with a second hand 305 or Garrett ace 250.
i have a minelab go find 60 and im not a fan.
i should have had a proper look at them before i got it.
im scared to drop it. Feels like a cheap toy.

p.s i realize i just told you to look at the go find 20. I was just considering your budget.

Thanks for the advice and welcome guys...I'm tossing between a ground efx swarm mx 100 or the minelab go find 40..is a pinpoint function a must?

Hey everyone just an update.

I bought a new Tesoro Compadre from Lost Treasures a while back. I had a good look at the second hand ones on the US ebay, however the current exchange rate didn't really make it worthwhile, but I would definitely consider it for the more premium range of Tesoros where the savings would be greater.

I have just been testing it around the house and local area, so far I have found a nice assortment of bottle tops (and 1970s glass), some chunks of aluminum and some rusty nails. It surprises me at times as to how sensitive it is.

One interesting thing I've found is that it picks up interference at times and starts beeping at a constant frequency, we live near an airport so I think it might be picking up a radar signal or similar?

The only thing I dislike is it's lack of volume control. When playing through the speaker it's super loud (fighter jet/black sabbath concert loud). I plug in headphones and just leave them hanging on the handle, you can hear them easily, but you would quickly go deaf if you put them on. In the long term I might get some headphones with built in volume control.

But in short it is a very impressive detector and I'm very happy with it... :)

Don't know where you are CD but Aldi do a detector for $99.00 that some of the guys on here reckons is pretty special. I don't have one, never used one but it does discriminate they tell me. Its still a dig everything type of machine, I'm told, but then as you are just starting out you would anyway.

Well done on the purchase you can't go wrong with the Tesoro.

Just get yourself a qaulity set of headphones with volume control.

Hi All,

A friend and I would like to start looking for gold on the weekends to keep us busy.
We're looking to spend $500 all up and would like to know what metal detector we should buy.
If $500 isn't enough then please let us know!
Honest feedback is the best feedback!

Cheers
sausagewithsauce

$500 will buy a detector and if you are really really lucky you might find some gold but I would not hold my breath
To be honest look for a minelab gp extreme if that's to expensive go for a 2200d ,but I would not look at anything older than them 2 detectors regards john :)

Thanks for the response John!

Okay I'll definitely take a look at those two.

Do you think we should just invest a bit more to get something better or do you think the investment jump would be too large?
If there is a metal detector model that was say $200 more then we would consider it!
We want to have a little fun with it but if we're going out there with some rusty tools then it might get boring pretty fast :p

Cheers!

It will all depend on how seriously you want to find gold. The reality is that looking for gold isnt cheap.

In all honesty $500 will get you a coin machine but not one suitable for finding gold out in the goldfields. You may find a second hand pulse induction machine under $1000 but again you will spend many frustrating hours digging big bits of rubbish close to the surface. You may be lucky to find a bit of gold but only if its reasonably large, very close to surface and a 1000 or so better detectors that have been there before you have missed it.

If you want to find gold these days you need to try to swing the odds in your favour. A lot of people buy a detector for under $1000 only to realise they have wasted their money and are soon looking to upgrade.

Many of us have spent thousands on a machine and still struggle to find gold consistently. Realistically you will need to spend a minimum of $1500 - $2000 which will get you a good second hand machine. Combine that with one of the new quality coils and you stand every chance of finding gold.

Have a look through the 'Gold Detecting Show n Tell' pages and you can then see what machines are finding the gold. Very few are with machines less than $1000.

Perhaps you could hire a machine over a few weekends and see how you go. You may find some nuggets to allow you to get a better detector.

Another option is to invest in a good coin/relic machine, hit the parks and beaches and pick up a bit of cash. Once you have a good haul, sell the machine and use the money from that as well as what you found to invest in a good gold detector. I know of a few people who have done this and it didnt take long to have enough $ put aside. The other bonus of this is that you will find out if you actually enjoy swinging a detector. No point of spending big $ if it turns out in a month you get bored.

A couple of things Sausage , generally speaking Pulse induction machines like Minelab SD2000 upwards perform better over vlf machines in Australias mineralised soil. $500 will only get you a vlf unit.
So if you grabbed a Sd2200 for instance it will certainly find gold IF its there but it comes down to competetion . If the area has been covered very well by more expensive machines there isnt going to be much left that they could not detect .
So in saying that they are still a great detector and if you research new areas they will find most of the gold and at good deepth as well , so basically be prepared to work hard to find what has been missed or find private property etc that hasnt been hammered.
Conclusion - go for at least a 2200/gp etc for best sucess.. which would be about $1000 upwards

An xterra 705 may be a machine worth looking at to start out, great on coins and relics and able to find shallow gold and specimines.
Does struggle a little in high mineralised ground but ground balancing very often can help

Best you could do for $500 is a second hand xt17000, 18000, goldstriker but they don't often pop up. Even then you need to pick your spots - milder ground is where you'll get the best from a VLF.

Current special on Eureka Gold may be enticing??

Seen some PI bargains over the last few months. 2100 for $900, 2200 for $1200, GP extreme for $ 1300 etc etc

most of the detectors mentioned will find gold but to keep your interest up and not be disheartened it pays to go with a proven product ,as you said can get boring pretty fast .NO BS you will need some thing between $1000 FOR A 2200d and up to $1900 for a extreme . if you decide to go that way you just want a standard detector with no mods :)

There 7s also the occaisional bargain whites TDI or SPP around $1000 mark, and although they are probably not up there with the more modern minelabs, they will out perform pretty much all the vlf, s and are actually pretty good machines. If you decide on a whites, try and get a razorback coil to go with it or a sadie NF. Google wal and liz tdi on you tube to see how effective a tdi can be once youre experienced with it.

Latest posts