Metal Detector advice $500 or under

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flash_crusoe1 said:
Nugget are there anyone's just for gold

There are many gold "specific" detectors available but it's unlikely you'll get one for under $300, the starting point is around $1000 (new). It's more to do with the type of ground that gold is commonly found in, cheaper coin and relic machines aren't really designed to / are unable to handle these conditions very well.

flash I use an ACE250, if you take a look through all my posts you can see the sort of ability it has and the potential for finds that you get with it along with hints and facts on how to use it to the best of its abilities, if you choose to get one of them you can feel free to ask any questions of me and there are others on the forum who have one or have used them in the past that would have very helpful information for you that they have posted in the past as well.

Although I own an Ace 250, and love using it, I personally think it is well over priced here in Australia. There are more feature packed starter detectors out there that come in at a lower price than the Ace, including the Teknetics Eurotek Pro ($259), and the Teknetics Delta 4000 ($330) - the Euroek Pro can be optioned with the large 11" DD coil which is still $30 less than the standard Ace250.

The delta looks like an attractive starter detector with more fearures that the Ace, despite being cheaper, including true all metal mode for more depth capability, both 1/4" & 1/8" headphone jacks, volume control, numeric target ID, fast recovery time over targets, and a running depth display. There are also a plethora of aftermarket coils available from NEL to suit the greek series detectors.

1412592523_delta-4000-metal-detector.jpeg

The Eurotek Pro does not have an all-metal mode, but you can use the pinpoint button for scanning the ground, much as you would with the Ace. Other unique features on this detector are the iron volume control, iron indicator screen icon, numeric target ID, and Vbreak tones as on the G2/Goldbug Pro (VCO tone over high conductors). This detector was made to cope with iron infested sites.

1412592548_img_20141006_212003.jpg

Both detectors run 7.8kHz, which is slightly higher frequency than the Ace.

Teknetics are a part of 1st Texas detectors, who also produce Fisher and Bounty Hunter detectors. :)

ERRR, noice mugshot there Flash. :D the fishers are a good alternative. check the net for reviews.

I cant speak to the other detectors mentioned but I have seen the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV used on the gold fields in Warwick in heavily mineralised ground and have witnessed them finding small gold nuggets. With the extra small 4" gold nugget coil they are excellent at cleaning up a patch for small nuggets. They are easy to learn and used and make a good first detector if you don't have a lot of cash. Should be able to pick up a used one under $300 or a new one for around the $300 mark.

http://bountyhuntermetaldetector.com/bounty hunter tracker IV metal detector.html

Hope it helps. :D

Yeh, about a 2 years ago there were a few posting good finds in coins relics etc. not many now seem to use them on forums. do they have manual ground balance ? still vlf tho. around 7.8 kHz ? didn't like my b/h discovery 3300. very ordinary. ground balance function packed in after about 7 months.

I'd say the latest round of new Bounty Hunter detectors are far superior to the old models like the Tracker. It seems they are now basing them off their Teknetics range, they look very similar, albeit with some feature omissions on some models, whilst others gain features like ground balance capability.

Hi,

Very new to this all so looking for a cheap unit.

Have been looking at the ACE 150 but not sure if I can justify the price as I have never even used a metal detector, but on the other hand don't want to buy a cheap eBay rip off and like it as a hobby then have to fork out even more for a half decent one.

So my question is, if you had to chose for a first timer based on price vs quality what would you go for.

A ACE 150 or a Quicksilver (bounty hunter)

Ace150 $299
Quicksilver $200 with a bonus pinpointer.

Cheers

If looking to spend just over $200 on a new detector, another very simple to use detector for the first timer without being a toy is the Tesoro Compadre. Tesoro make good quality detectors with excellent discrimination, and come with a lifetime warranty, and you couldn't get any more simple with this detector for someone new to the hobby. No numbers or screens to worry about, just one control dial to turn the detector on and set the discrimination and off you go. Extremely light weight, only requires one 9v battery, and now comes with an 8" concentric coil for improved depth small over the previous 5 & 3/4" coil. Have a read of the reviews on this little detector, hardly a bad word said about it but plenty of good feedback. They sell for just over $200, and should still fetch good money if you ever want to upgrade being a known brand detector. Do a google search for Australian retailers selling the Tesoro and the below mentioned Eurotek.

If it were me, I would pick this over the bounty hunter.

1432041106_tesoro-compadrese.jpeg

If you must have a detector with a screen, pinpoint mode, target ID numbers, depth indicator and alternative coil choices, have a look at the Teknetics Eurotek Pro which sells for less than the Ace 150, but with a lot more features, definitely the pick out those two. :)

1432041129_2013_eurotek_pro.jpg

Hi everyone,

I know there is already a bunch of these threads but I started a new one to prevent confusion.

As the title says I'm looking for an entry level general use detector for <$300. To be honest, in the $150 range would be even better as I really just want to try it out and see if I stick with it.

I'm pretty tall as well, a bit over 6', I'm not sure if that matters or not. But I don't want to be walking around hunched over like an old man with a walking stick lol.

So far the list is:

1. Aldi detector

2. Minelab X-Terra 305 (on sale for $320)

3. Tesoro Compadre

Thoughts?

:)

Wow great info!

I have found a site that sells both but also noticed the eurotek (base model) for $200,

Between the eurotek (base) and the compadre what would be the better one.

Unfortunately I don't understand specs of these units so it Makes it hard. Would a screen benefit a beginner?

I'm leaning towards the Tesoro Compadre at this stage. I like its rugged construction, doesn't look like there is much that could go wrong with it. The circuit board inside looks pretty simple. I have a strong interest in electronics so I could see some mods and voided warranties in the future... oh and it's in my price range as well.

Any recommendations of where I could buy one? 5.75" or 8" coil?

(I'm still open to recommendations of other detectors as well.)

Cheers!

:)

Latest posts