Metal Detector advice $500 or under

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Tesoros have A lightning fast Recovery speed and are great In Iron filled sites and they can see tiny things, Not forgetting they have a Lifetime Warranty, That is the one I would go for.

john

The tesoro compadre is a proven platform
And i migh add has a metal upper shaft.

I own one and its zippy, light and if you look
On the auction site in the usa you could buy
One cheap.

Get the 8" version though if you go down this
Path.

Good luck with it.

Whether to have a screen with target ID's or not is one of those things that boils down to personal preference. Some people use the ID number whilst others will just go off the tones despite having the ID's. You soon learn that often the tones offer a better idea of what is under the coil than heavily relying on the ID numbers, which can become more inaccurate the deeper the target is.

This is especially evident on the Tesoro which only gives off a single tone, but you will soon learn that despite only having a single tone (as do some of the more expensive tesoro models) it still carries a fair bit of information regarding the depth of the target, and the type of metal being detected - something that can only be gained with a decent number of hours testing in-ground targets. The Compadre carries the same discrimination circuit as on much more expensive detectors in the Tesoro range, so they certainly haven't skimped in that area.

Best to give one or the other a try, and if you don't warm to that particular detector, you can always sell it and try something else to see what suits. I went though a few detectors before eventually finding one that suits my requirements, but the only way to find out is to physically get out there and give your chosen detector a good workout.

Here are the instruction manuals for both detectors to help you make a more informed decision on what you are after. Please note when when you click on the link for the Eurotek, it is a direct download for the instruction manual PDF. It is evident from the length of the instruction manuals on how simple the compadre is to operate vs the Eurotek, though if you like to have a detector with more adjustability and features, the Eurotek might be more attractive, though a bit more complicated to setup/operate. There is no denying that the Eurotek has a lot of useful features for its price, also the advantage of being able to use different coils may be an added plus.

Teknetics Eurotek

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...wQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNHW18vboNdHurpuYqxBmguhW8F9NQ

Tesoro Compadre

http://www.tesoro.com/info/manuals/current/compadre/compadremanual.html

Here's another site with some user reviews of the compadre vs the slightly more expensive Eurotek Pro. Do note that the depth capability of the Compadre is less on this comparison due to running the smaller 5 & 3/4 inch coil vs the optional larger 8" coil version, and despite what it says, the coil is fixed and cannot be interchanged with others. The compadre runs a higher frequency than the Eurotek (12kHz vs 7.81), and hence is also noted as being quite sensitive on small gold jewellery items.

Also have a look at as many you tube clips as you can on both detectors being used in the field, this will give you a better idea of what they are like to operate in the real world vs the usual bench top air testing of coins.

http://metaldetectorreviews.net/detectors/compare.php?x=341&y=31

Hi ,selecting a detector really depends on what your main targets are , coins/ gold / relics ect i have always felt that you should get the best for the particular target , as there is nothing worse than walking over gold for example, and someone comes along with a machine thats designed for that , and cleans up after you lol even then you never get it all Davext PS i found a patch,got 80 ounces , thought i had got the bulk , but over the next 6 months another 120 was found ,mind you a lot was found after a dozer was brought in

Hi anyone starting out gold prospecting , and wants to start cheaply i reccomend a second hand xt 17000 they are very easy to use for a novice, they can be picked up for around 4/500 dollars , setup is very simple and you will find gold Davext

Hey thanks for the replies, I picked up a xterra 305 from anaconda tonight $319

I was going to go with the cheaper option but had a 2 week wait and was priced @220 + $25 postage so for $74 difference I felt I got a good deal.

Also I think the warranty would be easier to deal with considering they have a number of stores etc hopefully won't need it .

Just got to get some batteries and I'll give it a go this weekend! :)

Wolfau said:
One cheap.

thanks, I looked into this, but I've been given postage quotes greater than the cost of the detector. Is there a cheaper postage option/mail forwarding service I should be using?

CatDoge said:
Wolfau said:
One cheap.

thanks, I looked into this, but I've been given postage quotes greater than the cost of the detector. Is there a cheaper postage option/mail forwarding service I should be using?

I use shipito. Postage cost is about $70 US to Aus.

So the trick is to be patient, do your research and
buy a bargain 2nd hand unit and Ship it over. I
have done this at least 6 times now.

The compadre with an 8" coil is a bargain especially
If you can find one cheap enough.

Good luck with it.

Hi guys and thanks in advance for any advice.
I'm really keen to have a go at a bit of treasure hunting with a metal detector.
My kids are always finding old glass and the odd coin in our yard and it's got me interested in what's below the surface..
I've done a little research but I'm getting more confused..
I'm not out to find gold just a bit of fun..
I've given myself a budget of around $150 for a first detector and would like a relatively simple one to use..
Any tips on a particular one would be great or tips in general re using and finding
Cheers again guys

Thank you and yes I've had a look at that model..I've also looked at a few on eBay and jay car..I'd really like an led display as it looks a simpler design for a beginner...thanks for you're advice

Latest posts