Merimbula - melbourne

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys just wondering if anyone knows of any places between merimbula and melbourne to do a quick pan on my trip home

How far from Princess Highway do you wish to go. :)
Yambulla.
Go South from Eden till you see Imlay Road on your right. About 20 Klm's.
Head up the road for 21.5 Klm's and you will see Yambulla Road on your left.
Turn down the road and go along until you go across the second cause way.
Please read the sign's.
You can prospect above the second cause way but not below it.
If not happy there,
Head back about 300 meters,
On your left there is a road to your left.
Follow it around until the road goes across a dam.
Pan to your hearts content on the down side of the Dam.
Warning.
It is a remote spot and a little rough in the scrub.
Don't wander to far from the creek.
Place is full of holes.

And if you wish,
Keep following the road until you come to a T intersection.
There is a warning sign in front of you.
Head it as there are a lot of hidden stopes in this area.
Turn to your right and follow it up and around.
When you come to a gravel pit wall on your right,
You are just below the major mine workings.
If you wish to do a bit of mountain goating,
Climb straight up the hill. You will see the main workings.
Be a bit careful as there are a few open shafts.
It is called Spion Cop.
Keep following the track down hill until you see some old machinery.
This is where the ten head stamper is.
Quite safe to walk around and have a look.
The Dam was put in to catch all the Mercury that was used before they switched to Cyanide.
You could spend a full afternoon around there and not even scratch the surface.

G'day Tathradj,
On holidays in Merimbula and itching for a detect. Any chance you could point me in the right general direction???
Went out today and found wash containing quartz on a few local hill tops but no luck.

Hi Forbsy,
Absolute best place fr a detect is up north at Mogo.
Bega Valley's gold is a bit too fine for detecting.
You may get lucky down at Yambulla out in the scrub
around out crops that contain quartz blows.
What detector do you have. ?

Minelab SDC2300, only been detecting for 6 months but geeting pretty good at finding specs with it back home (Geelong so BALLARAT area)

Funny about the National Parks...I'm a professional fisherman ( diver) and guess what when they put the Marine Parks in they put them in on our best spots as well ?

Hey Tathradj,
I realise this thread is about gold but do you by any chance know the general area around Eden that produces Amythest? My research suggests the cliffs between Eden and Two Fold Bay but that is pretty broad. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

May as well say the Southern part of Twofold Bay is private property, National Parks and restricted customs area's
around the Chip Mill.
The Northern side that is Eden, Well, Most of that is too.
You could try around Quarantine Bay but I do not guarantee your success.
I would say geologically that the Northern part of the Bay would be the best bet as the Southern side is mostly Sandstone.
Down here on the Far South Coast, We have a very large portion of it covered by National Parks and State Conservation Area's.
I do have some very good news coming but have to wait until it is finalized.
If you are in for a good days driving around, Yambulla State Forrest has more than enough of a maze of roads and tracks to explore.
Just remember that you require a permit to Fossick and it is isolated.

Hello all, while I have been a 'member' of the forum for a while, this is my first post - I think...

Anyway, I am heading down to Merimbula for a few days, and trawling through the forum I found this thread. Very interesting, I would like to know more if there are any updates.

Looking for Amethyst, or any crystals, and also detectable or pannable gold.

Being aware of the fires and current rains, can anyone tell me if the South East Forests around Merimbula Eden are open, particularly Imaly / Yambulla Rd?

Cheers all, Roger

RodgiesRocks said:
Hello all, while I have been a 'member' of the forum for a while, this is my first post - I think...

Anyway, I am heading down to Merimbula for a few days, and trawling through the forum I found this thread. Very interesting, I would like to know more if there are any updates.

Looking for Amethyst, or any crystals, and also detectable or pannable gold.

Being aware of the fires and current rains, can anyone tell me if the South East Forests around Merimbula Eden are open, particularly Imaly / Yambulla Rd?

Cheers all, Roger

G'day RodgiesRocks welcome to PA :Y: I can't help with your query but I can tell you the above is your 2nd post :beer: the link below is your 1st back on 1st January 2018 :Y:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=24556 Good luck with your search and trip stay safe :beer:

Latest posts