Mercury Use and Recovering Gold from Amalgam information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
⚠️ Restricted hazardous chemicals/dangerous goods use or discussion isn't endorsed by Forum Management. Individuals using any hazardous chemicals/dangerous goods do so at their own risk/s and need to ensure their own legislative compliance.
Obviously, this bloke has a lot of mercury, and a somewhat cavalier attitude to handling it.

It is worth watching through to the end to see what he does with a gold bar.

[video=480,360][/video]

yes a little more laid back than i would be playing with mercury, but i guess he must have some understanding of it otherwise he probably wouldnt take that risk, or he is an idiot plain and simple

That's CodysLab youtube channel, I've been a subscriber for a long time. In his other videos you will discover that he lives on his grandfathers old claim with surrounding mountains full of many ores, including mercury which he extracts by the gallon. A very interesting channel to watch for a variety of subjects, the majority involving exceptional dangers lol

I was expecting the cistern to just break up from the weight in this vid! I reccomend you take a look at his video which explains how to cleanup a mercury spill. It will change your oppinions on the 'clumsy' attitude some of his other vids can seem, but he really knows his stuff. His vids on refining rare metals are excellent as well

Oh, if it seems like I was defending or responding to the comments, its not meant like that, I was just typing away and that's how I wrote it. Hadnt read the other comments yet lol

He's not foolproof ill say that lol I've seen a couple of no no's

⚠️ Restricted hazardous chemicals/dangerous goods use or discussion isn't endorsed by Forum Management. Individuals using any hazardous chemicals/dangerous goods do so at their own risk/s and need to ensure their own legislative compliance.
This video is very interesting - amalgamating gold leaf with mercury, and using nitric acid to recover the gold...

[video=480,360][/video]

His other videos are cool too... like this one showing amalgamating mercury with a block of aluminium...

[video=480,360][/video]

Bjay said:
Makes me wish I still had the jar of mercury we had at home when I was a young fella. Then again I probably explains a few things about me now ;)

Those were the days! I can remember fooling around with mercury from a broken thermometer in primary school in the '50's. I think I kept a blob of it in my pencil case for a while! :eek:

I have just started prospecting and been finding a grey heavy flake in my concentrate. I can't take a pic as it is to small for my phone. It has been suggested that if might be mercury coated gold. I looked at some pics but it doesn't seem to be as shiny as the pics on the net. Any other ideas on what it could be? Can mercury be a dull color?

Mercury coated gold is generally very shiny.
Depending on where you are, I'd suggest you most likely have "heavy sands". Try them with a magnet.
If they don't pick up, then they could be tin based which are also very heavy.
Or if you still think mercury, hit them with a blow torch (in well ventilated area), which may evaporate any mercury coating.
Could also be galena, pyrites or many other minerals depending on which area you're in.

Hey guys n gals.
Took my baby banker out for a quick test today after a couple of mods. In a pretty common area found a little color and a nice picker. Pretty sure it had a little mercury attached to it and I think I have found a little ball of mercury. My questions are:
-Are there any health issues high banking in an area with mercury coated gold?
- is it a good or bad sign for more color?
- what should I do with the mercury ball? It's about the size of a match head
Any input appreciated

Lead can have a very dull grey color. Almost white. So if it's a flake. Good chance its lead. It will melt at a low temp. If its very old it will almost 90% dissapear. Leaving an impurity scale behind.
MERCURY!!! Or mercury amalgam. If you find this stuff in your pan or banker, good chance it holds a bit of gold.
DONT leave it in your alloy banker, as it will eat it no time! They react big time.
Dont touch it with your hands.
you can extract it and burn it off from the gold easily and safely if you do some proper homework.
This stuff can be very rewarding if you find a patch of it.
But treat it with the highest respect.
a syringe without the needle is a good way to suck it up. Then cap it.
You are probably down hill or stream of an old stamper.
Good sign in principal.

I find a bit of the mercury-gold amalgam out at Sunny Corner, I just toss it in a separate vial and don't play with it, maybe if I found enough I'd try some heat, not really sure about stuffing around with nitric or sulphuric acid lol.
I don't really see it as a good or bad sign, seems the old timers used plenty of mercury out there, I guess at least it more than likely contains gold...or silver.
I think in the small amounts you see these days standing in your kitchen near your microwave is probably equally as dangerous.

Last time I went out there I found a .58 calibre mini ball and a young head Victoria sixpence and the strangest thing an old lead or pewter tiger figure/toy? all while panning. I'm always amazed if I find a coin while sluicing/highbanking.

I'll add some pics later I'm just getting ready for a weekend away.

Latest posts