Mercury Use and Recovering Gold from Amalgam information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
⚠️ Warning - Restricted hazardous chemicals/dangerous goods use or discussion isn't endorsed by Forum Management. Individuals using any hazardous chemicals/dangerous goods do so at their own risk/s and need to ensure their own legislative compliance.
Yep it's Mercury :Y:
Thanks for the concerns, but I am well aware of the dangers of Mercury and use it regularly with the proper care and protection. I've had the same kilo for a bazillion years and reclaim it each time using a retort so this lot will be a great addition meaning I can upscale and quicken processing.

Diggit, that video is a completely different type of Mercury, not Elemental Mercury which this is.

madtuna said:
Thanks for the concerns, but I am well aware of the dangers of Mercury and use it regularly with the proper care and protection. I've had the same kilo for a bazillion years and reclaim it each time using a retort so this lot will be a great addition meaning I can upscale and quicken processing.

Diggit, that video is a completely different type of Mercury, not Elemental Mercury which this is.

Cheers MT I understand that but Elemental mercury is also toxic and can cause issues if you merely inhale the vapours. In other words its not something to be carelessly mucking about with.....glad that you treat it with caution and are aware of it. The world needs to keep the population of 'handsome' men up so we'd hate to see you go ha ha

madtuna said:

Also your retorts are legendary around here :lol:

Good luck Steve, sure hope it's loaded with gold? The mercury is worth heaps on it's own? Can't have been the ground to many years or the spring steel locking device would have rusted and released the contents, Lucky you didn't smack it with pick. :argh:

Pete, it looks a bit gritty so I'm hopeful there may be some in it. :Y: Will break it down into kg containers and process it bit by bit.

It was half sticking out of the ground and half buried so not sure how long it had been there but obviously a number of years at least.

madtuna said:
Pete, it looks a bit gritty so I'm hopeful there may be some in it. :Y: Will break it down into kg containers and process it bit by bit.

It was half sticking out of the ground and half buried so not sure how long it had been there but obviously a number of years at least.

Another look at your pic and can see how it was positioned in the ground.
Did any yellow result with your refining Steve?

Anniegee said:
Good on you Kozi M...I'm glad somebody else asked first as I'm busting to know what it is...all I can make out on the jar is "NIVEA" :lol: :lol: :lol:
I took one for the team.

goody2shoes said:
Has anyone seen or heard from madtuna Steve?

Not like him to just vanish like this

Goody

He was abducted fondled with and probed by a race of female aliens,his currently in perth receiving treatment after this horrific experience,the states best cosmetic surgeons are at a loss,they cant seem to remove a permanent grin hes been left with,pray for him.......

As much as I wish I was fondled and probed....sadly it was not to be.

Occasionally when I have someone to baby sit the homestead I will camp out instead of coming back each night. This way I can detect into the wee hours plus spot light the ferals that are a bit problematic at the moment.

P.S. Nightjar...I haven't had time to look at it yet.

Anybody got a day spare to donate...

Seems like time is the only problem now

How insurmountable the desire to find just one extra day !

(unless your looking for two hey) :p

Latest posts