Mercury Use and Recovering Gold from Amalgam information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers bugler, what issue book number is it? ive got a couple popular mechanics.

Its almost tempting trying the techniques here but theres some constant concern about how they explain to do it and may not be too safe, but certainly safer than other extraction methods.

The U shape I would be concerned of, in case mercury particles could escape easily when agitated.

The spud guard seems to be ok, but id still have a leak concern or not a full recovery of mercury.

Cheers for the doc though, rippa, I love the old books, I collect many!

shivan said:
...do not pour water that has been in contact with HG down the sink, but water the grass out the back.

So long as neither you nor anyone who owns the place afterwards wants to grow veggies out the back...

Still, elemental mercury isn't very soluble in water. The main worry would be to make sure you aren't exposed to the fumes while retorting. Otherwise, you might start to act like a hatter ;)

mfdes said:
shivan said:
...do not pour water that has been in contact with HG down the sink, but water the grass out the back.

So long as neither you nor anyone who owns the place afterwards wants to grow veggies out the back...

Still, elemental mercury isn't very soluble in water. The main worry would be to make sure you aren't exposed to the fumes while retorting. Otherwise, you might start to act like a hatter ;)
Don't worry Ill be disposing of correctly.

Something to help coagulate loose Hg particles would be useful, but I haven't seen such a thing yet.

Fumes will be easily kept at bay with the retort and water, I may even double condense the vapour.

For some reason my parents let me play with mercury a lot when I was a child..you know..love? Anyway, I've had my share of contamination and don't need more :) *twitch*

mfdes said:
Still, elemental mercury isn't very soluble in water.
G'day mfdes, did a fair bit of research before i went near mercury. Everything i have read talks about elemental mercury being insoluble in water, though mercury salts can be sparingly soluble in warm water. Was i wrong in my understanding?
I would be a lot happier eating veggies from my back yard than i would eating fish after what i have read ;) But do not worry too much the place the water got tipped will only ever be grass or concrete, and as i have only retorted 4 times and dumped probably less than 1 liter of water, i do not believe i have contaminated the yard just yet.... hopefully

This is starting to get "Interesting."
I am not an expert on this but as far as I can see,,
Retorted Mercury into cold water is fine.
There is no migration into the water medium as long as you do not have another element that Mercury reacts with. (Look that one up)
So the silver fillings I have had since I was 7 years old are Mercury Amalgam, (Not Silver).
No wonder I am mad. :lol:

lol, got a photo of them by any chance? I find some bits of wire amalgam but only a couple of bits.

And yes, by the looks of it, its always elemental mercury unless reacted with something other.

Its been a good learn along the way. Ill be posting when I try it all out

You want a photo of my fillings. :eek: 8)
Mate, I can see where you are coming from.
In simple terms, Use steam pipe to retort your amalgam.
Not gal pipe or any thread sealers. :D

Omg, sorry, thought you wrote filings..like metal filings...erg. Lol

Nah keep your fillings lol. I remember reading something about mercury fillings needing to be replaced because they react with something

Even if iron iron is used, the mercury just gets stuck to it easier but it would still work if kept clean and stored correctly in water.

My uncle showed me the spud method, worked a treat.

He didn't mash the spud though, he put it in a manky old jar with a bunch of others, guess he did a bulk batch later, he would have showed me that too, but fell off his perch. And no, not mercury poisoning.

He did explain the dangers of mercury, but wasn't silly about it.

Funnily enough a half spud also makes a fine crucible to melt yellow in with a hot enough torch.

Wish I was smart enough back then to properly absorb knowledge :(

Always time to refresh yourself with some info ;)

At least you got to see it in action. I'll probably try it once and yeah the potatoe is a great crucible as its basically just carbon.

It was very useful the information you supplied though mate

I also used to play with mercury as a kid and I turned out alright (some might disagree! ;)).

So far as I know metallic mercury does not dissolve in water. However heated or vapour-phase mercury might oxidise a little, and mercury oxides could form a hydroxide in contact with water, or carbonates. Mercury salts are somewhat soluble.

I think, like everything, it's just about being informed about how to do it safely.

I fully agree, but because it is a touchy subject sometimes getting the information can be hard. Why i wanted to know if i got it wrong as well ;)
Again my understanding is only limited, but i did not think elemental mercury (including vapor) could oxidize well under normal conditions? As from memory elemental mercury can remain airborne for over a year and be transported thousands of km's before it is oxidized and deposited. Hence the problem with mercury being burned off and not retorted.

hey guys just wondering how to extract mercury from gold for reuse or if it can be done any advice would be great cheers

Latest posts