Just had a pick of a day

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Just had one of those days where I shouldve stayed in bed. The plan was to go to a new area and detect a spot that, in theory, should contain gold. Seemed like a good idea at the time but when I got into the zone I found that the ground was not suitable. It was deep country with a thick covering of alluvial soil. The clay layer was a long way down and there was no bedrock was visible. The old timers were digging four to six feet to get into the pay dirt. Had a look around for a while to see if the country would change but it didnt.

Time to move on. Started following a run of quartz that was shedding off a small ridge line and finally got a very good signal. Reached over to grab my pick but it wasnt there. What the!!!! How could this be? I wouldnt have left it lying on the ground, would I? OK, a plan of attack was required. Priority number one was to sort out the target and when this task was completed, Id back track and find the pick.

Ever tried to dig a hole in hard ground with a plastic scoop? What a bugger of a job. And the end result.... the tip of a miners pick. Someone upstairs was playing head games with me and I was beginning to feel a gentle rise in the blood pressure. Anyway, I retraced my steps and carefully worked my way back to my starting point with no sign of the pick. Frustrated and cranky, I had no choice but to repeat the procedure. After twenty minutes of searching, swearing and kicking the ground, I still came up empty. Once again BUGGER. I had made a $100 donation to the gold gods. Decided to go home, have some lunch and return in the cool of the afternoon for one final look.

The captain coach kindly offered to come out and help in the search for the lost digging implement. I thought that was really nice of her considering the rough country that we were about to enter. My mistake was not providing a detailed description of the territory we were entering. Walking across ridge lines, pushing through tea tree scrub, crossing creeks and jumping up high banked gullies was not mentioned at the time. Anyway to cut a long story short, the pick was eventually recovered at the bottom of a vertical drop into a gully. It must have fallen out of its holder as I eased my way down into the creek bed.

All was good. The pick recovered and it was time to get back to the Ute. We were just crossing a creek (within sight of the car) and the coach tripped and fell into a muddy, sloshy bog hole. She was wet and covered in sh#te. Had to come home in her undies, sitting on a bee suite I had in the back of the tuck.

Anyway, to finish the day a storm blew up a few kms from home. It started to rain and there was a lot of loud thunder barking at us. The gold gods were obviously angry at their loss. The final straw that broke the camels back was the flat tyre one k from home. Changing a tyre in the rain, covered in dust, mud and all sorts of crud really topped off the day. So, two grown adults made the final trip home dressed in undies and very little else. Thankfully there were no flashing blue lights or random breath tests to finish the day. We finally made it home where the coach found the biggest blood sucking leach attached to her leg that Ive ever seen.

In conclusion, one $95 pick found, one $250 tyre lost. It was just a pick of a day.

Cheers

Les

Mate i feel for you both i know how frustrating those sort of days can be
But when you can sit back and laugh about it later it makes all this worth while
1511420867_01.jpg

Good onya MT. Great to see that you can spot a positive in a poor situation. Will ensure that your advice is put to good use in the future. After a couple of glasses of a vintage cleanskin, a smile on the dial is beginning to appear.

Cheers

Les

Um,
I was wondering if you were a token of bad luck Les. 8)
I am very glad you were not wondering about with a forlorn
lost look on your face in our new area. :eek: :eek: :eek: :lol: :lol:
Now that would have been fun. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good onya guys,

Thanks for the words of encouragement and advice. Well as it turns out, the the pick ended up costing me $306. (One trashed tyre) I will put forward a suggestion to the financial adviser that quite a few prospecting trips will now be required to recover sufficient gold to compensate my soul for the recent loss. I dont think any potential response should be published. Lol

Cheers

Les

I feel for you Les! Ive had the misfortune of loosing my pick on two occasions and spent about half an hour searching for it. After loosing it the last time I painted both of my pick handles a bright yellow, and whilst it hasnt prevented me from leaving it behind a couple of more times, it was sooooo much easier to find when looking for it as it no longer blends in with the leaf litter!

My strategy for repairing any punctures was to use my exs undies to stuff the tyre and Id still have some left over to clean my hands with.

Les I know how you feel. I didn't lose to pick on this occasion but yesterday I destroyed a tyre. The tyre was actually pretty sick anyway since I had to keep stuffing the same hole with plugs. We were travelling at 100 down the highway and heard it go psst,psst,psst, so pulled over and replaced a couple of plugs. I got away with doing the same thing a couple of times but Mrs M kept saying "just change it". The problem was I had to drop the roo bar to get the spare and it was just too much trouble but of course I had to do it in the end anyway :rolleyes:

1511535839_flat_tyre2.jpg

Latest posts