Job Networking: Looking for staff or looking for a job?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Colmaca said:
joe said:
Nice find Col, that's unreal if I was single and had no commitments I would pack my GPX and go. :)

Not a find I get all the email every day :) since I work here

Right on you door step :) 20k more, I would explore mate

Pretty cruisey where I'm at :) I did think hard about it 20K more , but at 54 money is not all . once in mining its easy to move on I'm waiting got this geotek job since I know the gang and help out with stuff. , underground cameras and blast montors and stuff ...

gcause said:
I ran my own project management consultancy business for 7 years before I sold it off to another larger firm so have done a tonne of interviews for new staff in my time.

Happy to review anyone's resume for them if that would help them out.

Just PM me and then email me your resume / CV and I will let you know how to improve it. If I have the time I will have a go at rewriting it for you if it needs it.

One piece of advice when going for a job is not to use your standard resume but to tailor it specifically for the job you are going for. So highlight the skills that are most useful to that role. It's still the same standard resume but you put an emphasis in the overview on the previous roles that relate to the new one.

Also don't forget to highlight your 'soft' skills i.e. Those skills that make you get on with people, verbal and written communications, being able to teach or mentor someone on the job.

Always write a cover letter also it's another opportunity to show how good your communications skills are.

If you are not already on it get yourself onto LinkedIn it's a great way to find a new job through your network of former colleagues and friends. http://www.linkedin.com.au
If you can afford it sign up for their job seeker package as that will get you access to the latest job adverts and will let others know via a symbol on your profile that you are looking for new opportunities.

Hope this helps :)

Hi gcause

PM sent

Cheers Monty

joe said:
Interesting Nugget that you are moving away from IT. I have spent over a month advertising for IT position offering 85k to 105k, (no takers or interest) my second month of advertising with the offer of 110k to 120k attracted 3 applicants and only one suitable. Where are all the IT people?1

I'm in IT (Business Intelligence and now Project Management) and your salary range is a bit low for any capital city in Australia with maybe the exception of Hobart. That was the going rate in the early 2000's - but everything has gone up since then...

Paulmarr said:
joe said:
Interesting Nugget that you are moving away from IT. I have spent over a month advertising for IT position offering 85k to 105k, (no takers or interest) my second month of advertising with the offer of 110k to 120k attracted 3 applicants and only one suitable. Where are all the IT people?1

I'm in IT (Business Intelligence and now Project Management) and your salary range is a bit low for any capital city in Australia with maybe the exception of Hobart. That was the going rate in the early 2000's - but everything has gone up since then...

True Paul, position I had going was level 3 techo mid range skills. High end technical contracting rates are around 175 per hour.

I work FIFO from Seqld to central Nsw, work for a drilling company who contract to clients australia wide, be aware guys that people seem to think FIFO workers earn huge dosh off the bat, entry level for even time roster 1-1. 2-2 you can earn from 40k-70k per year, underground...$10 pr day penalty rates, work your way up from nippering, service crew, bogger op upto jumbo ops and you can earn $900-$1500 per SHIFT, hard work and dedication pays off in any industry, I've been FIFO for just over 3 years and believe me..the money does not outweigh the strain on family, I missed my daughters 5,6,7th birthdays and all Christmases In between aswell, to be honost I'd rather take the 10k per year pay cut and be home every night and grow up with my children, very hard decision to make but at the moment on the coast there is Sweet FA work, money is not everything guys and that I have learned the hard way, I have a wife and children and apt of support from
The inlaws that makes it that little bit easier. Mining doesn't pay what it used to that's for damn sure. :rolleyes:

Ok couple of things about resumes.

Heres a basic layout for a CV:

1. Profile - Tell your story up front. Put an overview of who you are, what you are good at, what you have done, what your goals and ambitions are - keep it to half a page;
2. Employment Summary - Provide a timeline summary upfront showing your time in a role, the company you worked for and the role you worked in, people don't want to wade through a ten page resume, your front page has to grab their attention;
3. Work History - Provide a work history this is the detail for each position you worked in;
4. Profesional Development - list all the licenses and certificates you have and any additional training you have;
5. Personal Interests - show people you have interests outside of work that make you an interesting person to get to know - i.e. gold prospecting, fishing, etc.

Always put your name and contact details on the top right hand corner, its that corner that will be seen when your CV is stuffed into someones filing cabinet or in-tray. Give them every opportunity to get on the phone and contact you by making this clear and readily accessible to them.

Never put references on your resume always say they are available on request. Your references were given to you by people who trust you and who don't necessarily want to get spammed by people / companies who are not going to employ you but now have their contact details to add to their mailing lists. Only supply them if asked for them or you get to the second stage interview.

Hope this helps. :)

Nugget said:
dwt said:
Nugget said:
Of course there are jobs out there but the problem job seekers are facing at the moment is an over saturated market, what this means is instead of competing with say 10 people for a job, you're now up against 50+. I've heard of some local positions having 500+ applications :eek:

Just in the last 3 weeks alone I've applied for over 15 jobs and emailed my resume to another 7 or so companies. I've also been applying interstate despite me not being keen on leaving my family. I did have one company interested in hiring me as soon as things pick up, but they have since laid several blokes off due to lack of work.

In the last few months I've spent over $5k re-ticketing / re-skilling to help my chances, I just hope it all pays off in the end.

What job are you looking for nugget?

I'm actually moving away from IT (mostly out of it now) and have been training / re-skilling to work in the Mobile Crane industry.

I've done the C6 Crane and Dogman tickets, unrestricted HR licence as well as a few others (EWP, Forklift, Construction White Card etc), but I'm now looking for someone to give me a start in the industry.

The plan is to upgrade the C6 Crane ticket (60 tonne) to an open ticket and the HR to HC once eligible.

At the moment I'm applying for all kinds of labouring and trade assistant work to try and at least get myself back into the mining and / or construction industry until things start to pickup. I did this kind of work for several years before moving into IT.

Hi Nugget

I am doing the same thing. Getting HR licence. Have Forklift ticket, EWP and Construction White card.

Concentrating on interstate opportunities. Willing to relocate ASAP if the job comes through.

My children are older, youngest doing year 11 at school.

The Boss works for NSW Police in 000 Emergency Call Centre and is looking for a change.

Fingers Crossed.

Cheers Monty

Monty said:
Nugget said:
dwt said:
Nugget said:
Of course there are jobs out there but the problem job seekers are facing at the moment is an over saturated market, what this means is instead of competing with say 10 people for a job, you're now up against 50+. I've heard of some local positions having 500+ applications :eek:

Just in the last 3 weeks alone I've applied for over 15 jobs and emailed my resume to another 7 or so companies. I've also been applying interstate despite me not being keen on leaving my family. I did have one company interested in hiring me as soon as things pick up, but they have since laid several blokes off due to lack of work.

In the last few months I've spent over $5k re-ticketing / re-skilling to help my chances, I just hope it all pays off in the end.

I'm actually moving away from IT (mostly out of it now) and have been training / re-skilling to work in the Mobile Crane industry.

I've done the C6 Crane and Dogman tickets, unrestricted HR licence as well as a few others (EWP, Forklift, Construction White Card etc), but I'm now looking for someone to give me a start in the industry.

The plan is to upgrade the C6 Crane ticket (60 tonne) to an open ticket and the HR to HC once eligible.

At the moment I'm applying for all kinds of labouring and trade assistant work to try and at least get myself back into the mining and / or construction industry until things start to pickup. I did this kind of work for several years before moving into IT.

Hi Nugget

I am doing the same thing. Getting HR licence. Have Forklift ticket, EWP and Construction White card.

Concentrating on interstate opportunities. Willing to relocate ASAP if the job comes through.

The Boss works for NSW Police in 000 Emergency Call Centre and is looking for a change.

Fingers Crossed.

Cheers Monty

Good luck with it all Monty.

Are you going for the Constant Mesh or Synchromesh Gearbox?

kawman said:
I think nugget should start his own website building business.... very good at it... :)

Personally I think I'd make a terrible web developer as tinker far too much :lol:, plus I wouldn't consider my web development skills being at a professional level, it's just something I picked up over the last 10 or so years.

you have a huge start over most of us and you have to start someplace.. I still think a part time buis helping local small buisnesses get on line at a price they could afford may be a winner and feed the family for a while.. :)
Nugget said:
kawman said:
I think nugget should start his own website building business.... very good at it... :)

Personally I think I'd make a terrible web developer as tinker far too much :lol:, plus I wouldn't consider my web development skills being at a professional level, it's just something I picked up over the last 10 or so years.

Nugget said:
Monty said:
Nugget said:
dwt said:
Nugget said:

Hi Nugget

Fingers Crossed.

Cheers Monty

Good luck with it all Monty.

Are you going for the Constant Mesh or Synchromesh Gearbox?

Hi Nugget

I will be on Constant Mesh gearbox.

Monty

Latest posts