An ounce a day

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GreenRiver said:
goldierocks my comment was referring to the original post, only going on those I know who never find anything, but have a wonderful time looking.
Understood. Yes, anyone who relies on newspaper reports like that would get a shock.
I thought you were referring to my comments above about palaeoplacers . However it might be worth illustrating the point I made, and why people who explore in active flowing streams get so little gold (usually). But I will post it in the alluvial mining section not here.
But as a final comment, when gold was first discovered there was some rich gold at surface, but it did not last long:

1610086654_picture1.jpg

Clearly most of us are doing it wrong....including me.

Even if it was that good, after digging holes by hand full time I would back doing the daily within the month for sure.

I can understand some places wanting to promote fossicking/prospecting in their area but sensationalist articles usually get followed up with negative articles like this one from 2015 during a similar NQ "mini rush":
https://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2015/09/03/4305433.htm?site=northqld

The Gympie piece isn't that bad really?
The statement ""If you pull up 30 grams, it's a good day away" is probably the only thing giving some false hope. If you got up to a gram it'd be a good day out for most really.
There is some return to reality in there "While Mr Hartwig believes the days of striking it rich with large gold nuggets are behind us, there is certainly no shortage of enthusiasm for fossicking."

Unfortunately things like YouTube, Farcebook & some forums also contribute to giving high hopes to newcomers with stacks of photos/vids of finds but little info on the reality of spending hours or even days digging junk &/or nothing + very little to no info on the legalities of it all (especially in relation to land access). I've even seen some openly give advice on doing things that are essentially illegal in the area they are in. When questioned about it by others they either appear unaware themselves, have false ideas of the laws or just don't give a firetruck.
Some people don't like it on here either but I think as a forum we try to steer people in the right direction & not over hype it?

You are so right mbasko.

Most newcomers to the hobby these days seem to be influenced by the U-Tube channels and Gold TV shows.
Now gold has always attracted dreamers and for the most part many will not be getting rich out of it?

Most knowledgable long term prospectors I know of are aware of dramatic declines in findable gold each year and know its hard work.
I feel many of the U Tubers are after ratings and revenue plus freebies, like prospecting equipment and its really sad they are breaking laws in some cases
and encouraging lack of law compliance? If nothing is done to set this right we will witness significant restrictions to our access areas going forward.

One only has to look at the banning of high bankers in NSW as an example, plus the pending changes to a large part of the GT for detecting. The only good thing
to come out of co-vid is no announcement has been made on the VEAC recommendations for the central West, a deccission was meant to be adopted in March 2021.

Latest posts