Job Networking: Looking for staff or looking for a job?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been really impressed by the caliber of people on this form. How they handle themselves and how they treat each other on many levels. Everyone seems hard working, honest and helpful. These are many of the same traits one looks for in a employee.

On a recent outing I was able to meet some forum members. It also hit me that this is a very unique demographic. Male, older, Blue collar/white collar. What I realised is that there are probably people on here who have their own business or are managers of business. There may also be people looking for work. There doesn't seem to be a thread to say they are looking for a job or staff.

If I was looking to hire someone or wanted the word spread that I was looking I'd prefer to come here as I think you'd get a better shot at finding the right person here. Same if I was looking for work. There are almost 3,000 member and maybe the same in guests? I'd say there could be some matches to help both sides.

So lets give it a go. So make a post if your in either group...looking for a job or staff. You could then PM the person directly to keep it confidential.

Nice one GB, there are a few on here that have been victims of the economic downturn. I will keep my ears open around the traps for any opportunities.

Cheers, Tone

I did exactly that GB at the beginning of the year, got plenty of good leads as a result.

Oddly enough I'll be needing just that shortly. Mrs GT wants to move, and commuting a couple hundred kms daily wont be enjoyable. Mostly upset becauset due to the fact I'll be further from my favourite gold hunts again. Anyone in the Vic Goulburn Valley area with anything worthwhile can shoot me a pm anytime.

G'day all

anyone who wants to pay me to go prospecting all the time they can have my current day-job.

Araluen

hi all, im actually looking for some work and thought I might try here.

I can turn my hand on anything and only need showing something once.

not really fussed on what the job is at the moment.

im now based in the Seymour area vic.

willing to travel or relocate if need be.

please pm me...

scott :cool:

I'm on the job hunt again myself 8.(, that's why I'm on the forum so much of late. At least if anything it's given me an opportunity to re-skill and build on my resume.

Nugget said:
I'm on the job hunt again myself 8.(, that's why I'm on the forum so much of late. At least if anything it's given me an opportunity to re-skill and build on my resume.

now that you have put it out here mate, im sure someone will have something for you...like gold itself...

its just a matter of time! :cool:

Hey guys im new to the forum (lurking for a while) so i wont presume to market my business, but i am insurance broker by training, so if anyone has insurance related questions im happy to answer them on here for free.

I'm still out of work unfortunately, usually employed as an Exploration field/geotechnical/geophysicl technician for over 20 years, based out of SA. Have been picking up dribs and drabs of contract work locally within the industry, but not enough to get by and pay all the bills (the Mrs also works, but has recently also been made redundant). Looking to sell up and travel later in the year, so may look interstate for more work.

Have HR License, loader, excavator, skid-steer, and high risk forklift tickets, plus competancy for vehicle loading crane, also computer savvy.

SA isn't exactly a great place to find employment at the moment. :(

20xwater said:
hi all, im actually looking for some work and thought I might try here.

I can turn my hand on anything and only need showing something once.

not really fussed on what the job is at the moment.

im now based in the Seymour area vic.

willing to travel or relocate if need be.

please pm me...

scott :cool:

15 years as a floor and wall tiler

3 years civil construction/storm,sewer,water pipelayer

1 year installing solar pool heating systems

bobcat, excavator, backhoe, loader, roller, forklift tickets, more than compitent and experienced up to 40 tonne

the list goes on...

I need more coin to start prototyping a new extreme HB system design...

help??? :lol:

Sad to hear so many are out of work , just noticed this on theaustralian.com.au , just released about 457 visas :rolleyes:

TWO-THIRDS of the migrant workers on 457 visas have taken jobs that did not have to be advertised to Australians.

As unions and employers wrestle over Australias reliance on foreign labour, new Immigration Department statistics reveal just one in three of the work visas granted last year was subject to labour market testing to prove no Australian could do the job. The figures also show half of Australias migrant workers are recruited onshore, with one in every 20 backpackers last year receiving a 457 visa to stay working here for four more years.

The Immigration Department expects to grant 241,100 working holiday backpacker visas this financial year. Assistant Minister for Immigration Michaelia Cash yesterday defended the number, challenging unemployed Australians to do the work instead. The reason our fruit gets picked sometimes, unfortunately, is backpackers, she said. It would be great if some of those people out on the dole picked fruit.

Monash University demographer Bob Birrell, of the Centre for Population and Urban Research, said the 457 program was increasingly a back door for foreign workers desperate to get into Australias labour market, rather than as a program allowing employers to meet skills vacancies.

CFMEU national secretary Michael OConnor said that employers should be forced to advertise all jobs on job-search websites or in newspapers before hiring migrant workers. Backpackers are being engaged in the construction industry on semi-skilled labouring work where there would be many ideal candidates locally to do the work, he said.

A minority of employers preferred migrant workers who were pretty easy to control because they faced deportation if they lost their sponsored jobs.

The Master Builders Association said companies preferred local workers, who were much easier to hire. All labour market testing does is delay the process, MBA spokesman Ben Carter said yesterday. No building contractor has any incentive to employ foreign labour.

Labour market testing was introduced in November for dozens of categories, but employers need only give the Immigration Department information about attempts to recruit Australians.

Employers can advertise on sites such as Facebook or their own websites, but do not have to hand over copies of applications or records of interviews.

Immigration data supplied to a senate committee shows that 90,780 migrants were living in Australia on 457 work visas in December up 8.3 per cent on the previous year.

The department granted 68,481 new 457 visas during 2012-13 half of them to short-term migrants already living in Australia, including 12,860 backpackers.

If i had the opportunity to be Prospecting full time, well need i say more :)
So my usual week consists of me running my own gardening business throughout Ballarat, Ive also become the interim Liason for the newly created Bendigo PMAV branch.
prospecting on a daily basis, be it pan, swing, dry blow...........
i only as of yesterday enrolled in a diploma course for Project management which will compliment the Business management one.

so being busy seems to be the Go, lol

And if we were to collectivley get everyones back grounds and experience could you imagine the likes of the
DSE,DPI,Parks,Respective Government Agencies that think or believe we are just redneck Gold Hunters, Ha Funny stuff.

I would love to be in a tuition type roll teaching those that are New to the Game or those wishing to seek 'another perspective'
on how to be better at what they do in the instance of prospecting.

But because reality bites, ill finish my coffee and get ready to go to Bendigo for the Day and dig like a Machine :)

KoD

Guys, there are jobs out there in the underground mining industry, truck drivers, service crew, charge hands,loader operators the more remote the location the better chance you have of securing a job. A mine im contract working at in central N.S.W is getting contract diesel fitters up from tassie, boiler makers and fitters from victoria and so on, you have to get your resume out there and ring, ring, ring, be prepared to travel stay away from home for up to 2 weeks at a time and your on your way, not everyone can do this, its hard on familys and relationships, but at the end of the day its all about the coin for you or your familys future,do what you gotta do.
Ill say it AGAIN, get your resume out there and keep ringing people up, no point dropping in a resume and sitting around waiting for someone to call you like your some sort of elite spec ops at whatever it is you do, that s##t just dosnt happen.
My super hot mrs is the manager of a concrete plant at a mine in victoria, she tells me quite often that she gets regular calls of people who have submitted there resumes the ones who call the most are on top of the list.
One more important thing.........GET SOMEONE TO PROOF READ THROUGH YOUR RESUME before you send it off, ive seen some very skilled people on paper totally stuff up there resume and it just sees the inside of a paper shredder.And dont bullS##T on your resume nothing worse than being a thousand km away from home and your asked to do something you said you could do but cant, and then told to pack your bags and leave site, you can kiss your mining career gooooodbye,its a long wait for a flight out, at your own expense i have seen this happen on more than one occasion, show a bit drive a posotive attitude and a willingness to work hard and you'll be climbing the paygrade ladder in no time, and they do pay very well.
good luck.. ;)

Of course there are jobs out there but the problem job seekers are facing at the moment is an over saturated market, what this means is instead of competing with say 10 people for a job, you're now up against 50+. I've heard of some local positions having 500+ applications :eek:

Just in the last 3 weeks alone I've applied for over 15 jobs and emailed my resume to another 7 or so companies. I've also been applying interstate despite me not being keen on leaving my family. I did have one company interested in hiring me as soon as things pick up, but they have since laid several blokes off due to lack of work.

In the last few months I've spent over $5k re-ticketing / re-skilling to help my chances, I just hope it all pays off in the end.

I ran my own project management consultancy business for 7 years before I sold it off to another larger firm so have done a tonne of interviews for new staff in my time.

Happy to review anyone's resume for them if that would help them out.

Just PM me and then email me your resume / CV and I will let you know how to improve it. If I have the time I will have a go at rewriting it for you if it needs it.

One piece of advice when going for a job is not to use your standard resume but to tailor it specifically for the job you are going for. So highlight the skills that are most useful to that role. It's still the same standard resume but you put an emphasis in the overview on the previous roles that relate to the new one.

Also don't forget to highlight your 'soft' skills i.e. Those skills that make you get on with people, verbal and written communications, being able to teach or mentor someone on the job.

Always write a cover letter also it's another opportunity to show how good your communications skills are.

If you are not already on it get yourself onto LinkedIn it's a great way to find a new job through your network of former colleagues and friends. http://www.linkedin.com.au
If you can afford it sign up for their job seeker package as that will get you access to the latest job adverts and will let others know via a symbol on your profile that you are looking for new opportunities.

Hope this helps :)

Hey Nug

I feel your pain, and then add to all that an age of 60, well!!!!

We all know it shouldn't matter but the facts are that it does!!!! even if it's only in the mind of the prospective employer

Good luck

Nugget said:
Of course there are jobs out there but the problem job seekers are facing at the moment is an over saturated market, what this means is instead of competing with say 10 people for a job, you're now up against 50+. I've heard of some local positions having 500+ applications :eek:

Just in the last 3 weeks alone I've applied for over 15 jobs and emailed my resume to another 7 or so companies. I've also been applying interstate despite me not being keen on leaving my family. I did have one company interested in hiring me as soon as things pick up, but they have since laid several blokes off due to lack of work.

In the last few months I've spent over $5k re-ticketing / re-skilling to help my chances, I just hope it all pays off in the end.

a previouse civil position I scored in rocky only happened because I hung around the site for a couple of days and introduced myself to the supervisers and eventually offered to work for free to prove myself. I made everyone else look like they were standing still (that didn't make friends lol) but I was on the payroll in 2 days. after that employees were dropping like flys all around me. not because of what I was doing but because they were coming towards the end of that particular contract.

I started with them just as a labourer and ended up a machine operater in a few months...the work eventually ran out for me to due to the companys bad rep and abilty to secure large contracts.

since then ive got my tickets but will probably have to this same thing all over again...

it worked for me :cool:

labour hire companys are a way in but they want to keep you on the ground!

Yeah it all sucks.
I'm working in Bega at the moment and we're getting a new hospital here and most of the workers at this stage are Irish.
As outback has said these 457 visas are not helping especially in small towns like Bega

Latest posts