Is the side of the road , fair game ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunter

Karl Wagner
Reaction score
Hi guys ,

Is the side of the road , from road to fence , fair game
In nsw fair game ?

Who does it belong to ? Is it crown land ?

I know many of our members will know !

Thanks guys

Gunter

Detecting would be fine. :)
I do not think the authorities would be
very impressed about digging though.
There is/was something written some where
about removing soil from the verges.
I know it is taboo to dig anywhere near a bridge or it's pylons.

stoyve said:
Great question Mandissa,
I think a few might expand their horizons in that area, but remember that it's not legal to dig up the roads and verges, I believe that in Victoria that means right up to the fence lines on the sides of roads in most cases.
Cheers Steve

In WA we can detect the 15m road reserve but you are not allowed to dig. I guess you'd get away with a scrape with the pick as long as its left flat when you're done.

In Vic the published prospecting area maps often come with the foot note:
"Note: Roads and tracks forming the boundary of the recommended prospecting area are not included in the prospecting area.
Roads and tracks within the recommended area are not available for prospecting."

So, I'd suggest that prospecting a suitable distance from the road would be OK. What is a suitable distance? Well for a fenced road, it would be past the fence line.
For unfenced roads, I'd suggest it would be where the bush commences or at least not where you could pull off the road without running over diggers holes.
Come on guys, let's not push the authorities trigger buttons for them to shut us down. Keep it reasonable and respectful of all using our roads/tracks - how much land do you want?

I now know of a gravel rd that has been resheeted from using a :D 700mm scrape of Gulgons main street, and no...... not saying yet! :D

Thanks guys ,

As per the PA way, I wanted to check first .

Everyone should cover all holes anyway , that way we don't upset
The non -converted !

I was at sapphire bend over the weekend , and some muppets have
Been digging on the road into the area , making it inaccessible to all ,
But the hardiest 4x4 !

This will get us banned !

Swing on

Gunter

Latest posts