how many of you have a 4x4

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, bummer really!!!!!
Have had 4wd's before I had company cars but as I work for myself now there is a 2 year old XR6 ute in the driveway.
Wanted a 4x4 but the ute was bought with 12,000km on it and when you dont have a trade in that was enough $ to spend in one hit. It does well as we have been pulling 2500kgs of wood at a time out from my sisters paddock.
Will be buying something nice once we find a decent nugget :lol:

No, bummer really!!!!!
Have had 4wd's before I had company cars but as I work for myself now there is a 2 year old XR6 ute in the driveway.
Wanted a 4x4 but the ute was bought with 12,000km on it and when you dont have a trade in that was enough $ to spend in one hit. It does well as we have been pulling 2500kgs of wood at a time out from my sisters paddock.
Will be buying something nice once we find a decent nugget :lol:

Gods own country down that way casper, and i hope you chucked a pan in the back of that 4 wheelie of yours.....and remember to tell everybody you meet .."there's no Gold up in these hills". ;)

Cheers Wal. :)

we have a non modded 2004 pajero, pretty happy how it performs, a bit heavy on juice, hopefully will swap to a diesel later this year. I chose a hand winch over a mounted, slower but can use it from font and back, haven't needed it yet.

G'day Croc,

Winches...... they are one of those items (like a brolly) that if you don't have one you'll need it one day but and the other hand if you have one you'll never ever use it.

So "obviously" we all "need" a winch ;) and with that in mind I like you bought a hand winch (works the same as a powered winch when not in use - think about it!!!!!!). T'is very portable and still in its original packaging meaning great resale value when my wife sells off all my stuff after i fall off the twig :D

However if on one unhappy day the gods are not smiling on you :( and you absolutely have the need to deploy the "accessory" as you pointed out you can pull yourself outa trouble the very way you went in - try doing that with a front mounted 12000kg winch.

CASPER

Thanks Wal,

The photo was taken on an excursion out of the Wonnangatta Valley last year. This valley was originally discovered by an American prospector which despite the promising geological markers no gold was found!!! There is a boulder/rock formation in the middle of Conglomerate Creek at the crossing which displays very prominent quartz intrusions as do the pebbles in the river bed - but alas, no gold!! :(

CASPER

Hey all,
I have a 1998 discovery s1 V8 3.9 duel fuel. ABS Air bags
Not an oil leak what so ever.......serious maintenance is the only way to go with Landrovers.
Have spent a small fortune on him.
Replaced everything on it.
2" lift Tough Dog shocks (foam cell) and 300kg springs, air bags.
XROX BAR, 12,000lb Grange tigerz II winch. Heavy duty duel towing eyes.
Icom UHF, UNIDEN digital scanner
2 x HELLA 2 NAVARA spot lights. (Roo lights)
Duel batterys, all in cab switches above head.
Onboard compressor with cooling fan. Duel H/D power sockets, separate Anderson plug. Amp and volt metre for compressor and fridge.
LED reversing light also swivels to be used as in cab light.
ENGEL 41litre fridge.
Full recovery kit with plenty of extras.......snatch blocks. D shackles
Aluminium radiator.
Rino modified roof racks for Austent Rv5
It is dark green, alloy wheels. AT MAXIS at present. Coopers in June when the maxis rubbish have worn out.
It was a maintenance nightmare when i purchased it. Previous owner just drove it into the ground. Then he had the motor, transfer box and gearbox rebuilt. Hence no oil leaks and a sweet running motor.
I have replaced all of the other running gear...steering, brakes, exhaust, wheels bearings etc. The whole thing is all but new now.
I know everybody that has never owned a Landrover knocks then. As well as some that do.
I have driven it for well over 100,000 klms and has never missed a beat, never broke down, on the hottest days on the dustiest tracks with air on it runs as cool as a cucumber.

The secret to the beast is regular maintenance.
I will take some pics of it tomorrow and post up.
You will know who i am when you see me out in the field now
Cheers
Thesmithy (Brian)

thesmithy said:
Hey all,
I have a 1998 discovery s1 V8 3.9 duel fuel. ABS Air bags
Not an oil leak what so ever.......serious maintenance is the only way to go with Landrovers.
Have spent a small fortune on him.
Replaced everything on it.
2" lift Tough Dog shocks (foam cell) and 300kg springs, air bags.
XROX BAR, 12,000lb Grange tigerz II winch. Heavy duty duel towing eyes.
Icom UHF, UNIDEN digital scanner
2 x HELLA 2 NAVARA spot lights. (Roo lights)
Duel batterys, all in cab switches above head.
Onboard compressor with cooling fan. Duel H/D power sockets, separate Anderson plug. Amp and volt metre for compressor and fridge.
LED reversing light also swivels to be used as in cab light.
ENGEL 41litre fridge.
Full recovery kit with plenty of extras.......snatch blocks. D shackles
Aluminium radiator.
Rino modified roof racks for Austent Rv5
It is dark green, alloy wheels. AT MAXIS at present. Coopers in June when the maxis rubbish have worn out.
It was a maintenance nightmare when i purchased it. Previous owner just drove it into the ground. Then he had the motor, transfer box and gearbox rebuilt. Hence no oil leaks and a sweet running motor.
I have replaced all of the other running gear...steering, brakes, exhaust, wheels bearings etc. The whole thing is all but new now.
I know everybody that has never owned a Landrover knocks then. As well as some that do.
I have driven it for well over 100,000 klms and has never missed a beat, never broke down, on the hottest days on the dustiest tracks with air on it runs as cool as a cucumber.

The secret to the beast is regular maintenance.
I will take some pics of it tomorrow and post up.
You will know who i am when you see me out in the field now
Cheers
Thesmithy (Brian)
Geez Brian.......If only you strarted with a Troopy you'd be a richer and wiser man.... :lol: :lol:

"Troopies Rule", Land Rovers are another word for "Lucky Dip".... That's why they called them "Dicovery". You don't discover what you get till after you buy them.....But then it's too late.... :( .lol....Cheers Wal (Mr Troopie). :D But yours looks like a good lemon, Brian...Mate.... ;) .(Rock Cracker is getting a serious workout). ;)

Hey wal
New version is on the way
Chisel one end point the other.......as well as finger guard.
Will be ready this week.
Have not been able to get out as I have a busy month with FRNSW (Fire brigade) meetings every week this month.

Yes you are correct with the lemon........that is what i purchased...........thousands of $$$$$$$ later i have a totally reliable Landrover as well as a vast knowledge on how they work and how to fix it on the run.

Parts are cheap especially from the UK.
Cheers Thesmithy
Brian.

G'day Brian,

The "Beast" looks great mate, Liz is tickled pink with the "Cracker". Look forward to seeing the new version and look forward to meeting up with you on the creek again soon. Once things settle down up your way send me a PM and would love to give the 2 "Crackers" a go while we're hi-banking. Take care mate...Cheers Wal, :)

Here are pics of my Discovery S1 4x4 His name is Pete
needs a wash when it rain again.
1369023171_disco_1.jpg

XROX BAR Winch TIGERZ II 12,000 LB Grande with Dynema Rope 2 x H/D hitch points
1369023235_disco_2.jpg

the compressor with receiver 12 volt fan 2 x gauges 2 x H/D lighter sockets
1369023266_compressor_1.jpg

1369023716_disco_3.jpg

The Fridge ENGEL 41 LITRE Fridge Freezer
1369023768_fridge_1.jpg

The Gauges For Compressor Fridge And accessories
1369023871_gauges_1.jpg

Cheers thesmithy
Brian.
Always looking for an offsider (digger) when Mitch is pre-occupied (Sluice-Goose)

casper said:
However if on one unhappy day the gods are not smiling on you :( and you absolutely have the need to deploy the "accessory" as you pointed out you can pull yourself outa trouble the very way you went in - try doing that with a front mounted 12000kg winch.

CASPER

Why on earth would you want to winch backwards? I've just come from there, where I want to be is on the other side of the obstacle, so I winch forwards :D

My winch is a $400 job from Supercheap. I couldn't tell you how many times its been used, usually to extract others. When I mounted the solenoids I put them on the back of the cradle and one filled up with water, I now have a TJM Albrecht style solenoid pack and its mounted up on the firewall with 70mm cable going from it to the winch. Worth every dollar a winch is!

Some great looking rides there guys, I really enjoy following this topic. Keep the pics coming :D

Latest posts