Hill End / Tambaroora Area NSW information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi can anyone fill me in regarding detecting in nsw in particular the hill end areas please let me know is there any crown land there to detect

Fishing is not banned in NSW... social distancing applies.
Golf is not banned in NSW ... social distancing applies
State Foests are open in NSW for exercising.
Traveling hours to do these activities could be considered unnecessary.

I am keeping up my exercise regime :D :Y:

Just my take on this. Fire away if you wish. The problem with these restrictions is its all about people travelling to different areas. Ok so maybe we should be allowed to do some of our hobbies but with a restriction on how far you can travel.
Its a tough one and not on the agenda right at the moment but it could work. If mandatory tracking was introduced you should be able to prospect, fish, play golf etc. As long as your no more than 50 Kays from home it should be ok.
Anyway just dreaming.
Pick away naysayers.

Hi Guys,

first post so here goes.

Getting access to Crown Land in NSW is a simple process? Or do you just get onto it? I see the advice on general fossicking is that you don't have access to Crown Land?

Do most of you guys access private land with permission?

Cheers

Puggs

Hi Puggs, Getting onto 'Crown Land can be no easy task...in fact it can be fraught with ...big trouble. I am not an expert in the why fors and why nots of this but suffice to say that many areas of 'Crown land are administered by local committees and you need to comply with the local requirements...and... gain their permissions...time consuming and frustrating at times.Many of us here have access to private land...a privilege that is very often hard one...but it is possible to 'cold canvass' the odd cocky and it is surprising what a case of beer and a pleasant attitude can achieve! :cool:
For $27.50 you can apply on line and obtain a 'Permit to fossick' from any office of the NSW State Forestry Commission.Research is your best friend here and there are many options in terms of area that you can legally prospect...get the rules get the maps and get out there...when we are all allowed.
Of course there are areas like Hill End...Tuena...Wattle Flat Oberon etc where there are designated fossicking areas and 'Commons' where you can go.
All the best of luck to you when you do get to go ...'to the diggins'...in the meantime you might like to take a look at the 'poetry section' for some of my an d others works...or to A True Story...or Gold in my veins. For some of my short stories.Rack up your Ten posts and you can join us in the 'members section' which is where we all hangout and stuff happens!...hehe. Kind Regards...Rossco(reefer) :Y:

mate before you go detecting in a spot do your research about what type of gold was found where, hillend is the worst place to detect because ALL the gold there was deep hard rock.

Been to Hill end a bunch of times, only found gold once with a detector in 2011 with an SD2200D.. majority of the good spots are private land, "crown land" isn't what you seem to think it is, access is controlled by gov, and not given freely..

State forests are your only hope in Nanny state NSW..

OrangeNugget said:
mate before you go detecting in a spot do your research about what type of gold was found where, hillend is the worst place to detect because ALL the gold there was deep hard rock.

i wouldnt detect there at all. instead grab your pan and pick a spot on the turon and pan or grab a dredge and dredge the turon. thats where all the gold is. even high bank.
That's incorrect.
Hill End has/had a combination of Reef Gold + associated Eluvial Gold & Alluvial Gold deposits. Surface gold was found in areas such as Hawkins Hill. There are many examples of shallow alluvial diggings, surfaced areas & sluiced areas that are very apparent still today.
There is more accessible crown land out there than anyone could comprehensively cover in their lifetime. It's one of the most accessible places still available to detect in NSW & still throws up a nice nugget occasionally.
The crown land there is controlled by the Hill End Common Trust apart from areas that are under NSW National Parks. You can't prospect/fossick those NSW NPWS areas, i.e. Hill End Village, Golden Arches, Cornish Quartz Ovens, but the Hill End Common is ok.
Personally I've found ounces off the crown land areas out there detecting. It's not easy to find but it's there. It's not easy to find anywhere.

Dredges & highbanking hey? Great advice to be giving as both are illegal in NSW.
OrangeNugget - another shitstirring, know nothing troll.

HillEnd is a hard place to find gold. Over many many weekends and numerous week long trips detecting all day and after scotches, for half the night over the 1000,s acres of crown land covered in mines, surfaced areas and diggings i would barely average an ounce a week. And i know madtuna did not do much better
RDD

Hi all,

I am new here and would like to thank you all for a lot of useful information accumulated through the years at the forum. However, as I am also relatively new to Australia, there are many issues that are not 100% clear for me. I hope you could help me with some basics.

I tried gold panning at Tambaroora last year and became addicted to that. 2 weeks ago, I went there again and saw those new signs at the entrance to the area, at both sides of the Golden Gully:

1611810564_tambaroora2021a.jpg

As far as I understand, crown land means no any activities? Does it mean that fossicking area is not public designated area for fossicking anymore? Or the signs limit only narrow area along the river? I am really confused now but want to stay legal. Would appreciate any help,

Thanks

First I have heard of this.
I was there in November and did not see these signs
I thought that only exploration license holders needed to have permission to prospect on the common.

I know there is something happening with regards to possibly making the whole area (Correct me if that is incorrect) heritage listed but that should not happen until after Feb when the study ends.

Can NAPFA officials advise correctly on this???

Latest posts