Hill End-Tambaroora Area

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking at doing a trip to Hill end and Tambaroora areas in the near future. Is there a fee for detecting on the common? And if so how much and where do I pay it? Can i camp on the common or does anybody know of a good place to camp ? Am i able to obtain a map of the common? Am I able to detect on a EL with the land owners permission? Any advice will be greatly appreciated, thanks

You can detect for free on The Common.

There are 2 campgrounds at Hill End that are run by NPWS and are expensive the stay at. Camping is illegal on The Common BUT is not enforced as long as you dont cause trouble. The same goes for campfires. Just make sure it is well looked after and extinguished when you are not around. The best camping areas on the Common is up the Tambaroora end. The only maps of the area available are the Doug Stone Map for Hill End. it shows alot of the old workings.

There are a number of private property blocks out on the Common. Make sure that you dont trersspass onto them for you own safety as a few of the locals do not like detectorists. Most of the blocks are fenced so it is easy to see them. There are also 2 current mining leases on the Common. One, Gold Mountian , is fully fenced. The other is current but not active and is not fenced.

You also have to be very aware of mine shafts all over the common. Some can be extremely hard to see and can be a few hundred feet deep.
Also, up until recently if you were camping on the Common you could go and use the showers and toilets at the NPWS camp grounds but that has not been stopped, You can still get water from them if needed,

Gold nuggets are getting very hard to find on the Common but if you persist and explore away from the roads you may be lucky.
Hill End is within a fossicking district so you can detect and pan as much as you like on the EL that is covering the common.

Good Luck

Thanks for the info Bob. You're worth your weight in gold. I don't understand how people can have private property if it is a common?

The private blocks on the Common date back to before the Common was established. They are old mining leases from the gold rush days.

If your going to research the area for likely spots to detect , here is a link to a site well worth exploring

http://tambaroora.com/indexa.php

There are maps on here showing the old working and the histroy of Tambaroora.

Thanks Bob. I've got trilobite solutions NSW gold app on my phone. It shows the old gold mines in that area. I'll read what you linked as well. Cheers. Mark

Latest posts