Hi There Champions.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day all.

Thought I had better post up an introduction and say hi to you great folks who are willing to share so much useful information.

I'm relatively new to prospecting and I have been lurking around here for a little while absorbing the fantastic knowledge shared. My interest in prospecting developed mid this year when I was up at my farm (with a work permit as I am Melbourne based) checking on my livestock, when I literally kicked a rock and noticed very fine gold and sulphides in it. Needless to say I searched for more.
I brought my collection of rocks home crushed them up and was nearly wetting my pants with excitement as at the time I was out of work and was soon having dreams of a new carrier path.

Long story short,,, I got the dozer out and cut down on the reef (uh, I mean started to cut in a new dam) and sent some samples off for assay for which they didn't charge me for the testing in the end for obvious reasons..... However, its there somewhere and I'll resume looking once I can afford the full costs.

Since then I've learnt to detect on my old girls Eureka gold that she never really used. Found my first little nugget (.76) on my first proper outing in known gold county and I'm now properly obsessed. I've found some awesome history from musket balls used for target practise, to cast iron pots and tools, copper buckets, tin pans and of course the coloured stuff.

Anyway, thanks for having me and I look forward to meeting some of you out there.

As far as dams go quartz reefs in the bottom of them is not a good thing. Neighbours got one that leaks like a sieve. Good luck on your quest. Too bad about the assay.

Cheers Goldfreak. Building a dam comment was code for not having an EL.

I'm tipping I'm not the first clown to drop off samples thinking they've hit the jackpot only to be told "keep digging, its there somewhere". I bet the lads were having a good giggle after that phone call "Hey boy's, I just sent another bloke on a vertical trip to china". :lol:

No worries. Watch out for the dibbadobba brigade. There a few about. How big a sample do you need for an accurate assay?

Mate most on here don't really respond well to those who want to openly flaunt the rules.
It does nothing to help any of us in this hobby or even those doing it professionally.
Read into that what you will but probably better to keep illegal activities under your hat!

You don't need an EL. Take out a PL if you think your onto something.
https://earthresources.vic.gov.au/l...eral-licences/apply-for-a-prospecting-licence

Hi Hard Rock Benji, welcome to PA.

Are you a fan of Nat? Just wondering if the Hi there champions reference is from Nats what I reckon.
Hes a funny bugger.

Flowerpot said:

Are you a fan of Nat? Just wondering if the Hi there champions reference is from Nats what I reckon.
Hes a funny bugger.
Hey Flowerpot :D That Nat dude is very funny thats for sure :lol: :lol:
The Potty mouth cracks me up F*C% JAR SAUCE :lol: :lol: 8.( :lol:

dam it said:
Flowerpot said:

Hes a funny bugger.
Hey Flowerpot :D That Nat dude is very funny thats for sure :lol: :lol:
The Potty mouth cracks me up F*C% JAR SAUCE :lol: :lol: 8.( :lol:
I agree dam it, hes a bloody ripper. F$&% JAR SAUCE. alright.

Goldfreak said:
No worries. Watch out for the dibbadobba brigade. There a few about. How big a sample do you need for an accurate assay?

3.5 kg sample is the minimum and they then do the math to equate to a grams per tonne measurement.

mbasko said:
Mate most on here don't really respond well to those who want to openly flaunt the rules.
It does nothing to help any of us in this hobby or even those doing it professionally.
Read into that what you will but probably better to keep illegal activities under your hat!

You don't need an EL. Take out a PL if you think your onto something.

Cheers mate I see you're point. There is a bit more to the story though which renders the work legal being it is part of a broader operation to rehabilitate the land after it's previous commercial usage. Works involving machinery was going to happen is the particular area under the above pretence it was just brought further forward due to excitement.

Just to be clear PL documents were obtained in anticipation of assay results, however did not proceed due to the response from the assay company.

Apologies if anyone is offended by my introduction, and I am happy to elaborate to anyone who has concerns.

Thanks again

Flowerpot said:

Hes a funny bugger.

I am a fan, though G'day Champions or Legends is greeting call I've used for a long time just to break with formality and add a little camaraderie.

Latest posts