Hi from Central West NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, Ive been lurking here for a few months and thought its time I should introduce myself.

A few things about me :

I chose Thatsgold as my username as Im a rugby league fan. Its a term they use on the NRL Footy Show. I go for the Cronulla Sharks !

I live in Orange NSW and own a house at Stuart Town as well.

Im married and have three children, and also two other older children living in Mudgee.

I used to live in Mendooran as a child (a small town near Dubbo) on a farm next to an old Cobb & Co. station on the Gilgandra Rd.

We used to unearth old bottles and coins etc. I guess thats where the seed was initially planted for me finding stuff under the ground. Also, our property was located on the corner of a creek and a river which would from time to time would produce its own interesting finds. There are historical references to Jimmy Blacksmith having travelled along our creek.

Anyway, to keep it short and sweet from here. I dont own a metal detector. I do plan on buying one once I sell my place at Stuart Town and have disposable cash. I will continue to read the posts that talk about which ones are good etc to help guide me.

I have fallen in love with Ophir (also near Orange) and plan to eventually fossick around there and also at Stuart Town. I realise a lot of the gold has already been found in these areas but I love the idea of getting out in the bush and unearthing any surprises, whatever they may be.

Cam

Welcome mate
1510566678_36.jpg

Welcome to the forum mate, some nice gemstone fossicking out Mendooran way, I grew up out near Dunedoo so know the area pretty well. Was forever pulling bottles and coins from the ground myself, would walk behind the plough whenever my father turned a piece of ground and swing a nasty old Radio Shack/Tandy detector for coins, I have seen them come up by the dozen in coin spills.

I'm over at Lithgow but I was out Ophir last summer and seen one lucky punter pull up an 8oz stonker while swinging and SDC 2300, was very impressive to look at, here I was getting excited over a few grams of hard-earned alluvial for the weekend.

I have a friend that owns a place out at Stuart Town, he lives in the city now and is getting on in the years, nearly 20 years ago we worked a small area on his property for some very good gold.

Welcome Cam / Thatsgold. You probably know how good this forum is already, so read on and choose wisely because a good detector is not cheap.
Jaros

Hi all, I'm a newbie, have been fossicking for many years but mostly for sapphires. The time has come to dip my toe in the world of gold prospecting. We are fossicking our way from cairns to Adelaide.
We got some nice cutters. We now at uralla n.s.w. tried my luck with a pan and found my first very small flakes of gold. The bug has bitten.. I'm now looking at buying a sluice to get me started, our nxt stop is Walcha, is this a reasonable gold area ? Would I expect to find chunky pieces or dust , any advice would be great thanks.

Latest posts