Hi from another newb

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aadelaidean

Debra and Daryl
Reaction score
Hello everyone I am a newb to this site and fossicking. I am in Adelaide and have found your site to be very helpful. I enjoy your members videos on youtube and they have taught me much. I am very excited about going fossicking one day and I have started to piece together my equipment. I am still in the process of finding where it is legal to fossick but I hope to return soon and let you guys know how I went.......Cheers Debra

G'day Debra and welcome. Can't wait to here all your success stories. Don't forget there is a wealth of experience and potential information on this site so if you have any questions don't hesitate to put it them there.

Welcome to the forum Debra, I'm sure you'll find your new hobby rewarding in many ways. Much info can be sourced within these pages and may you journey through the prospecting world gain you many Gems, much gold, and new friends. best of luck, Cheers Wal. :)

G'day Debra, I'm also in Adelaide. Fossicking areas here are very limited, only 2 places open to everyone are Watts Gully at My Crawford and Jupiters Creek at Echunga. There are many other places where gold was found but I'm still researching locations and from there will begin talking to property owners.

If you're going to get into coins, relics etc. your options open up much more.

You're welcome to tag along when i go out if you like.

I also arrange the monthly trips for the Adelaide Treasure Hunters Club if that is a thing that might interest you to expand your knowledge and options.

Happy hunting.

Thankyou to everyone for the warm welcome. In reply to DaBilda who is also in Adelaide which is where I will be fossicking, thankyou also for the prospecting sites. I had found the Mt Crawford area through a govt forest site and that is where I will begin when I am organised hopefully sometime this year. I have convinced my husband to tag along with me on this hobby and he has already shared by buying equipment and books etc lol.. We are both in our late fiftys and hope to find fossicking to be a good hobby for the years ahead. Thanks also for the invitation to join on a prospecting trip and I will let you know but for now I am still getting my equipment ready. I especially need a bum bag just for my lollies like Wal and Liz lol I do enjoy watching fossicking on youtube..Cheers Debra

G'day Deb,

good to see some more South Aussies planning to go bush fossicking - as DaBilda points out monthly trips with like minded fossickers might interest you to expand your knowledge and options. I recommend you contact one of the gem or treasurer detecting clubs close to your home. They are all a good mob of people who are welcoming of any one with an interest.

Have a look at the clubs contact posted under the South Australia section of this forum.

hope to see you & the better half out in the dirt some time

I have only been visiting this site for a couple of weeks now but I already feel at home talking to you people so thankyou again for making us newb feel so welcome. I am hoping to go on my first fossicking trip within the month and I will be going to Mt Crawford to try my luck. I will be panning for gold and hope to at least find a tiny bit of colour to reward me for buying all the equipment....wishful thinking ....lol.....in the meantime I will be browsing this site and youtube learning tips and tricks....cheers Debra

hey Deb, Mt Crawford is often visited by clubs & fossickers - A big variety of interesting stuff to be found there from gold to Rutilated quartz,citrine & smoky quartz, tourmaline, Beryl, and more. Good luck
The Forestry dept has a fair map of the fossicking areas - you can ask them where to go when you get your fossicking permit.