Sending hellos from South Gippsland

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L00pyLuna

Learning with a disability
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I hope everyone is safe and well..
I am very new to the idea of panning for tiny bits/fragments/flecks of gold..
I'm trying to find a hobby that I am able to do with a bit of a disability, , my memory is bad for starters (acquired brain damage), life goes on.. And there are new hobbies to find..
My grandfather used to prospect, alot of years ago, he has since passed, and I would like to try and give it a go..
I have much to read, and much to try researching, but hopefully one day, I could find just a tiny piece..

Stay safe and stay well

Hi LL and welcome to PA.

The basic bits and bobs needed for panning are cheap enough and modern plastic gold pans make life much easier than the old steel pans, where a very careful pair of hands was necessary to avoid losing small gold over the edge. Any prospecting shop should have them. As for a shovel and buckets and maybe a pick to break up hard-packed gravels, Bunnings is probably as good as anywhere to find those, if you don't have something suitable already in the garden shed.

The rules and regs you'll need to know about are summarised here:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...ecting-regulations-all-australian-states.125/
You can practice your panning technique at home using some bagged gold paydirt, possibly also available at a prospecting shop or just search eBay - there's plenty of sellers, many over-priced, but have a look and see what you think. YouTube has plenty of videos to help get you started, too.

Good luck in your prospecting, mate.

Main gold area in South Gippsland is aroun d Foster and farther north at Turtons Ck but much is probably restricted nowadays. Osmiridium occurs with the gold at both localities. A bit of gold and osmiridium and agates occur around Waratah Bay and Cape Liptrap in the beach sand (near the old calcining works on the limestone). Good sapphires around Bass, You can practice your technique simply panning any patches of blackish beach sand and getting the white sand out of the pan and trying to concentrate the black sand which is heavier. You can also pan tin (cassiterite) around Toora. Minor turquoise veins south from Foster in the Ordovician rocks of the Hoddle Range.

Most good gold localities are north of the Princes highway.

Hello everyone,
I hope everyone is safe and well..
I am very new to the idea of panning for tiny bits/fragments/flecks of gold..
I'm trying to find a hobby that I am able to do with a bit of a disability, , my memory is bad for starters (acquired brain damage), life goes on.. And there are new hobbies to find..
My grandfather used to prospect, alot of years ago, he has since passed, and I would like to try and give it a go..
I have much to read, and much to try researching, but hopefully one day, I could find just a tiny piece..

Stay safe and stay well
Hi L00py - Living in South Gippsland has you well placed to find gold, you have auriferous waterways to the North and East of you. Your research will point you to those gold bearing creeks, just don't waste your time panning surface gravels, dig deep and find the bottom, that's where the gold rests.
good luck

Hi LL and welcome to PA.

The basic bits and bobs needed for panning are cheap enough and modern plastic gold pans make life much easier than the old steel pans, where a very careful pair of hands was necessary to avoid losing small gold over the edge. Any prospecting shop should have them. As for a shovel and buckets and maybe a pick to break up hard-packed gravels, Bunnings is probably as good as anywhere to find those, if you don't have something suitable already in the garden shed.

The rules and regs you'll need to know about are summarised here:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...ecting-regulations-all-australian-states.125/
You can practice your panning technique at home using some bagged gold paydirt, possibly also available at a prospecting shop or just search eBay - there's plenty of sellers, many over-priced, but have a look and see what you think. YouTube has plenty of videos to help get you started, too.

Good luck in your prospecting,

Thankyou very much for all the information, the one thing, the first thing I did was seek and get was a permit

Hi L00py - Living in South Gippsland has you well placed to find gold, you have auriferous waterways to the North and East of you. Your research will point you to those gold bearing creeks, just don't waste your time panning surface gravels, dig deep and find the bottom, that's where the gold rests.
good luck
Thankyou very much for the information muchly appreciated

Hi Loopy. Prospecting is for everyone and welcome to the group. It is something you can learn at your own pace with just a modest gold pan. Buy a good quality one and it will be your friend for a long time. Look after it. Whenever you see a creek you need not wonder lies within it.

Hi Loopy. Prospecting is for everyone and welcome to the group. It is something you can learn at your own pace with just a modest gold pan. Buy a good quality one and it will be your friend for a long time. Look after it. Whenever you see a creek you need not wonder lies within it.
Good morning Hawkear,
Thankyou very much for your welcome..
There is so much information out in the big wide Web, and here also..
I have 2 very important pieces so far, a licence and the naughty no-no list of rivers and creeks..
I have on order what looks like a good plastic pan and I think there is a spare shovel and little spade somewhere..
Definitely practice a way to pan here at home before going out for a good day somewhere..

Latest posts