Hey, it's me!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwal

Jason
Reaction score
Hi all - great to be here, and see where this little itch takes me.

I seem to have had a long term underlaying interest in the hunt for these little riches.

Growing up in Shepparton, I recall camping in areas where I saw all these little piles of gravel everywhere, but never gave it a second thought when scurrying over the top - goodness knows how many nuggets I have walked over or even thrown around in my youth.

Living in Melbourne now I am yet to head up to the "Golden Triangle" to have a bit of a real hunt..a little nervous about spending the weekend finding nothing but junk.

Don't get me wrong - I find the idea of spending time away from the city/suburbs, and getting out and finding time to do something I could possibly enjoy quite entertaining, and hopefully relaxing - but of course, there is always that little voice in the back of my mind hoping that I will find something to take home to show the kids.

Looking forward to getting as many beginner hints from you guys, hopefully so I don't make the same mistakes that you guys have already taken the time to learn.

I hope to be able to share info back here as I go...but for now - just working out where to start.

I downloaded the maps from the government website showing where I am allowed to go - I know not to go on private property without permission, and I have watched more youtube videos now in total than my kids could ever hope to.

Whether I do a "training weekend" or just jump head first in is where I am kind of heading now.

On a side note, I was at the Australia Day parade today in the city, and saw the prospectors alliance, I think that's what they are called - any joy in joining with the association in the early days, or wait - any consensus here on that?

Looking forward to the chats - speak soon!!

Welcome to the forum jwal. Don't be nervous about finding junk, as I reckon that's what most people find a majority of the time, with the odd nugget thrown in the mix to keep one motivated. I'm yet to find my first Vic nugget after a couple of trips. ;)

Gidday jwal and welcome to PA.
If you're looking to get into gold detecting and don't know where to start i can highly recommend doing a training day up at Coiltek in Maryborough. When i first started i found it immensely helpful and well worth the cost. If you enjoy that then perhaps hire a machine for a day or so rather than jumping in too quickly with a purchase if you haven't already.
Good luck :)

Welcome aboard and yes the junk is part of the landscape and unfortunately we have to take the good with the bad. Good luck.

Remeber start with patience,persistence and a low expectation and you will do we'll.

Thanks guys - happy to be here - I have a course booked in during Feb so I can be taught rather than make time consuming rookie mistakes - also the advise of hiring before buying makes perfect sense- eBay seems to be riddled with detectors for sale that have only been used once or twice...

Latest posts