Help I.D this stone

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1457348952_image.jpg

Got this strange little bugger a few weeks ago in the bottom of a crevice (slate bedrock) with a few zircons, spinel, and 1 or 2 sapphires..
Zircon wont scratch it and it is about 4 carat.
Interesting triangle growth and sapphire texture.
Could it be ??

Lovely looking crystal type thing of beauty Reeks ,.... not that I know what it is at all. :p :D
Well found though ! ;)

I'm almost certain it's a Diamond Reeko, no bullcrappin mate. Saw an example like that in Barney's gemology book last week. How big is it?

I'm not 100% certain but about 90% certain. Lucky bugger.

Does it scratch the sapphire or does I the sapphire scratch it? Sapphire is hardness 9.
Jon

Scratch tests are subjective at best in my opinion, especially with small stones.

Looking at it more with the crystal growth I'm now 95% sure it's a diamond.

You'll need a tester to confirm but I'd be surprised if it's not Reeko. If you got it where I think you did it is a known Diamond area.

Top find mate.

Diamond, I think, looks like trigons doesn't it

Oh yeah, 4ct, missed that, if it's a 4ct Diamond hell that'will be worth quite a bit mate if it is the errr D word thing. :D

Well fingers crossed lads, might have to get it tested by a jeweller this week.
Don't want to get my hopes up but thought the triangle might be indicative of the 'D' word

I really hope it is too for you, very excited to find out. Simple test mate, if they try to charge you more than $10 buy your own tester from ebay, they work.

Barney is actually doing a gemology course at the moment. :)

Good luck with the testing Reeks - fingers crossed for a D

My backup guess is a clear sapphire due to the waxy pitted surface.

Don't leave us hanging :p

Have a google search for "Diamond Trigons" and you'll see why I reckon it's a Diamond. :)

I could be wrong but.... As I said earlier I'll be surprised if it's not a D thingo.

Wow awesome find reeks, definitely hope it is for your sake, i can see where heatho is coming from with the triangular structure of the gemstone after doing a google image search :D

I will be watching this topic closely.

Latest posts