Hello from Canada!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good day everyone!

Joined the forum hoping to learn more about metal detecting in Australia. As a complete novice would like to find out what's the biggest challenges I should expect in the field (apart from finding gold i suppose :) ). Looking forward to learning from members here

Cheers!

Hi and welcome
Ok in my view that would be
Snakes - Heat - cold - wet (depending on the time of year)- distance to help if out west - flies - mozzies -
the list would go on and on but i am sure people on here will add to it as time goes on

Welcome. To the visitor Australia has a lot going for it as well as what Marksman has said,against it. It is important to get advice about your area of interest and be aware of the natural hazards we have here. If you can't swim, don't go into the ocean as it is very dangerous. If lifeguards are there then swim between the flags.
Have fun.
Jaros :Y:

The main thing you have to worry about in the field is walking under big trees as if there is a drop bear in it he will certainly give you some nasty marks cheers

is this the one you mean Rob
1509868059_download.jpg

G'day Shiro-san welcome to PA plenty to learn here use the search icon and enjoy. Australia is vast and can catch out those who are unprepared if you intend to prospect in isolated areas your best to speak with people who know those areas. Good luck with your plans.

Aaah nucopia san! you welcome our friend in Japanese! ]:D ]:D You are one clever dude!...Oh! shiro san.. Welcome, just come over here ,and give your self a chance to recover from your flight and maybe meet up with one of us..that's what I'd do.or in the meantime, get a relationship happening with one or more of the top blokes you will encounter here..all genuine blokes who would not take advantage of you..then hold on to your hat for a good time in the land of the Southern Cross. ]:D regards to yer!..Rossco.

Arigatou minna-san! i'm not japanese though, but surprised to see so many people here knowing that the name means "mr.white" :)

Great advice! After watching lots of videos and series about Australia I definitely consider mother nature there to be extremely tough, it's definitely a lot more dangerous than Canadian summers. Thanks for the laugh about "drop bears" I actually thought it was a real thing :D

Are there any other things that come to mind? I'm thinking may be in terms of gridding as you prospect or technical difficulties in the field.

Appreciate all the advice given, I'm writing it all down for future reference.

I would reccomend starting in a caravan park out in the gold fields. You can get some great pointers there from people there who spend alot of time doing it. Who knows, if you find a big nugget all those people will be midori san.

Goldfreak said:
I would reccomend starting in a caravan park out in the gold fields. You can get some great pointers there from people there who spend alot of time doing it. Who knows, if you find a big nugget all those people will be midori san.

thank you for the pointer!