Heading North

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Margaret,
Check these older Topics
..https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=10297
..https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=10789

I'll be heading home when you arrive I reckon. I'll leave a couple of nuggets for you :p

Nuggets!!! I want the leaf gold couple of good spots at Western Creek for leaf.

Most leaf is easy going last year I was getting a signal on top of cow poo turned it over and the leaf gold was stuck to the poo about the size of a 10 cent piece

Funny thing about leaf gold if you run a 5000 your signal will be identical to the high trash sound, make sure you check

Western Creek is the most popular leaf gold producing area up there, I don't know why.

I can tell you this last year 2 fellas went there just for leaf gold they took over 2oz in a couple of days and no digging for it.

Cheers all I'm getting me some leaf maybe someone can explain the leaf gold would be interesting reading as all the talk is on nuggets.

Im also told leaf is worth more weight for weight then a nugget???
Margaret

Gold leaf is new to me.
I presume it is detectable..? Or, do we just walk around turning over cow pats.. :|

Rusty not sure if your post is a joke.

From what I know about leaf gold it breaks out of the host rock due to weather its flat as so generally sits on top of the ground I have seen a piece from Western Creek 7 inches in length and folded over.

I have a nice piece with the host rock indentations on it.

Most important of all the host rock is usually on top of a slop or hill and is exposed to the weather, all of mine were picked up on the side of the slop on top of the ground, for some reason Western Creek is the place for this type of gold, most people walk over it, as the detector signal is not the same as a nugget, once you kick the top of the soil with your boot it moves so most walk away believing its trash.

Wow 21 pieces is pretty good, Jacko I cant wait to get back.
Margaret

Absolutely serious Margaret.
I guess I'm showing my ignorance.
Though I prefer to think of myself as innocent :p ..some might argue.

I'd never heard of Leaf Gold as a natural form before reading you post.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll be a tad more vigilant when I'm at Western Creek in May.

You said the detector signal is different ..how would you describe that.
I've owned a 4500 and now have an SDC

phil said:
gday kim where the hell is western creek sounds brilliant cheers

Hi Phil
Have a look at this link, I have asked the mods to make it a "Sticky" for folks like you that are looking for places, but they moved it into "Obscurity" ???????
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=10159

If you have a look at some of my other posts you will alot of rference to Western Creek!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cheers
Lee

Jacko said:
We enjoyed a couple of weeks there last year and apart from other gold, found 21 really nice bits of leaf gold, biggest is 1.6g, a few nice folded pieces among them. Good luck.

Jacko do you have any pictures of this leaf gold?

KIM-MARGARET said:
Rusty not sure if your post is a joke.

From what I know about leaf gold it breaks out of the host rock due to weather its flat as so generally sits on top of the ground I have seen a piece from Western Creek 7 inches in length and folded over.

I have a nice piece with the host rock indentations on it.

Most important of all the host rock is usually on top of a slop or hill and is exposed to the weather, all of mine were picked up on the side of the slop on top of the ground, for some reason Western Creek is the place for this type of gold, most people walk over it, as the detector signal is not the same as a nugget, once you kick the top of the soil with your boot it moves so most walk away believing its trash.

Wow 21 pieces is pretty good, Jacko I cant wait to get back.
Margaret

Would love to see a pic of the gold with host rock indentations as i think i have a piece similar.
Do you know what host rock the gold sheds from?
Thanks

1426899740_fullsizerender_5.jpg

Ok so I've tried posting photo of leaf gold from Western Creek this shows indentation from host rock which was very old looking worn greyish white quartz exposed at the top of a hill all cracked and broken.

Rusty I would imagine your 4500 would sound the same as the 5000 when it picks up trash, we know the old saying dig everything at Western creek it is a must as leaf gold is only as thick as tin so the signal is very much the same as trash, Your SDC will love the leaf gold I swapped over to a VLF as this stuff sits on top.and most times no digging you will have a good time getting the stuff.

When you get there, you will get a mud map head up the side fence from the house where they feed the cattle you will know from the mud map, the rest is up to you.

CheersMargaret

does anyone know why the gold is leaf gold is it just forming now as in new gold or is it just being exposed ?

cheers

Ronk said:
does anyone know why the gold is leaf gold is it just forming now as in new gold or is it just being exposed ?

cheers

Ronk
This "Gold" was also formed a long time ago! it just happened to form in a very narrow vein within the host rock, potentially sandwiched between the country rock & the host, at "Western Creek" the quartz reef's have a lot of straight cracks throughout the quartz with a very obvious red iron oxide staining, it is possible that the "gold" may have been contained in these straight cracks originally.
cheers
Lee

Polky
No worries Good luck.
Lee

KIM-MARGARET said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1311/1426899740_fullsizerender_5.jpg

Ok so I've tried posting photo of leaf gold from Western Creek this shows indentation from host rock which was very old looking worn greyish white quartz exposed at the top of a hill all cracked and broken.

Rusty I would imagine your 4500 would sound the same as the 5000 when it picks up trash, we know the old saying dig everything at Western creek it is a must as leaf gold is only as thick as tin so the signal is very much the same as trash, Your SDC will love the leaf gold I swapped over to a VLF as this stuff sits on top.and most times no digging you will have a good time getting the stuff.

When you get there, you will get a mud map head up the side fence from the house where they feed the cattle you will know from the mud map, the rest is up to you.

CheersMargaret

Great Margaret,
We might cross paths up there, I;ll probably be there until the first week of Jun.
Greg

Hi Margaret, I've been a member since morning tea!! Can you tell me where Western creek is? :|

Latest posts