Happy Australia Day

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tathradj said:
We have a lot of things we both cherish and wish to forget.
To me, Australia Day is a time we all can come together and both remember
both our past and present and be humbled on who we are.
We are one, But we are many.
And we are Australian. :Y: :Y: :Y:

WELL SAID! :Y: :Y: :(

I'm an Australian born bloke with both Dutch and aboriginal heritage. I'm a bit of a mixed bag.
Australia Day is Australia Day. There is absolutely no need to change anything.
In the years gone by I've had ansestors killed by the Germans when the invaded Holland.
No doubt I've had ancestors killed by white man when they arrived in Australia.
But why should it matter now. What's done is done. Nobody can change anything.
This 'I'm sorry' garbage a few years ago actually made me cringe.
Let's just get on with our lives. January 26 is Australia Day and should be celebrated by all.
Look forward people, not backwards.
That's my take on it anyway.

Its storm in a teacup just like all the issues of today. Driven by a minority against the majority.
One day the majority will of had enough and look out.
I was born here which is the intrinsic meaning of the word indigenous. "Born of a country."
I didn't do anything wrong and I bloody live here just the same as any other "Australian"
Personally the date is irrelevant but whatever date is selected there will be a problem with it from someone.

GT :)

davent said:
Let's all be united , remember the past,present and look to the future.

Too true.
However the culture of division...... us.... them..... is so rooted now in these generations coming thru. Its not just Australia day, society in general...
QRT.

Ok after a long hard think i have had a change of heart and ....... we do need to change Australia day ......

Thats right we need to change it and have Australia week :Y: a full week of barbys with family , mates and neighbors , breakfast in the park and acknowledging the members of our comunities that just keep giving :Y: .
Lawn bowls with schooners , backyard cricket or lazing about the pool ,dam or river with mates and best of all prospecting :Y:
I could easily celebrate it for 5 days straight :Y:
I best go put the rams to the ewes again because we are going need more chops :party:

Haven't bothered to read all the comments my opinion was to change it up until I heard an aboriginal member of parliament, not sure whether state or national. Anyway without being political (only stated for identity purpose) this person gave good reason for it to not be charged. So I've done a 180 and I'm now certain it should remain as is. Life is complex and this won't go away anytime soon but I'm happy with my decision and that's all that matters to me.

Australia Day should be moved and Celebrated and Commererated on the 9th of May each year.

For those that dont know , which appears to be the majority of Australians, is that the 9th of May , 1901 was when the first Australian Parliament was sworn in and from then we as a new country were able to self govern.

The first fleet arrived in Botany bay between the 18th and 20th of January and only raised anchor and sailed to Port Jackson on the 26th after a better location had been found by Phillip.

It may have been the start of British settlement , a penal colony, in the land but we only became the Nation that we are today following the Proclamation of the Commonwealth of Australia on 1 January 1901 and the swearing in of the first Parliament of The Commonwealth of Australia on the 9th of May, 1901.

I , as an Aboriginal person, have never really partaken in the Australia Day Celebration mainly because I became sick and tired of Fwits coming up to me or texting me with "Happy Invasion Day Mate " without bothering to ask my opinion on the matter. This comes from both people that I know and others.

This year I will be out on The Common for most of the day looking for the next nugget to rescue and will only hit The Royal latter in the day.

May 8... Has a good ring to it tho. :Y: :Y: ... We could have May 8-9 to satisfy Some.. :) . Or the Week of May 8 to satisfy others... :) ... Whatever Day it is ENJOY.. :party:

Anyone for Popcorn... :8

LW.....

Mackka said:
You are right RM as everyone else that has participated. Everyone has the opportunity to change their mind or remain status quo and that's the beauty of our glorious Australia.
Mackka

Sorry to change the subject

Makka, is that Moreton Mill in your avatar?

How long have all of us known of the term invasion day?

Was it a term used in your town or only in the news ?

After balmainbobs comments which suggests he has always lived with it, it got me wondering because here in our local area we only heard the term last year through the media definently not much earlier than that.

Latest posts