Happy Australia Day

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hope everyone has a great Australia Day today. Stay safe and watch out on the roads today

Happy Australia Day PA members (and lurkers :p )
About to drag myself out of the tent and go and set up the highbanker downstream :)
Fingers crossed.
Reeko

A happy Australia day to everyone!
And twice as happy for me as I've found my first pre-decimal and on top of it, it's a silver!
1390692380_image2.jpg
1390692396_image.jpg

Nice find, good condition too. I went out this morning to Curl Curl Beach and got $1.40, a crap load of bobby pins and beer bottle caps. :mad:

i celebrated the day by going to my usual creek and the gods delivered up a perfect day and 7 pieces in the pan :D On the 2 hour drive to get there i listened to a fascinating show on Radio National about our unofficial national song Waltzing Matilda, and guess what it's not about sheep stealing at all. it's a political song and the main characters are allegorical ie the Jumbuk represents the wealth of the land, the Swaggie, the workers, and the squatter and the troopers, the ruling class. It was written around the time of the Shearers strike and various other unions also were trying to get a foothold - absolutely fascinating. I'll try and find the podcast and post the link unless somebody else already has it to hand......

casper

I've not long returned home from the Nundle trip. I'm completely buggered now so I'll post a few updates tomorrow after work, but all and all it was an awesome weekend with some fantastic people.

A belated "Happy Prospecting Australia Day" to everyone :lol:

Hi Pilsner,

Great find! It amazes me how the silver coins come out of the ground like they were dropped yesterday.

My mind boggles how long these coins sit there for. People are born live a good life and die while these coins sit there lost in the ground!

Today I found a 1934 Penny. The heads side is a lot worse. Fairly corroded and not game to clean it after my last effort. Destroyed an 1881 British half Penny!

1390819092_1934_penny.jpg

Craig

Hi Craig,

although not in great condition, it's still a very exciting find as any other old coin, exactly from the reason you said. It's a little piece of history, which would be lost forever, but was saved thanks to your good work.
Keep it coming!

And silver coins are much easier to clean, the copper ones it's better to leave as they are.

Latest posts