Hand Crevice Sucker Pump

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking at the hydraulic hand pumps on line and in the local mining shop, the arrangement of the collection tube is as GM has indicated, the length is also a lot shorter, maybe 10% of the actual draw length. I would think the flow would go across the sharp side of the elbow.. that way the heavies will fall onto the rounded section, the overburden would flow to the outlet side, sure some will end up in the collection tube but hey, it will be nearly all heavies in there. I have also seen similar items with clear collection tubes, i guess you can see how effective your crevicing is going..

Hey Tone,
I think what Shauno's theory is, fill the tube, not letting anything 'cept water go through the pump????
My thought was that its a diagphram pump, and should take gravel and small rocks no worries... therefore use the collection tube as a sort of 'boiler box'
(or not to offend me mate wal, a 'gravity separation trap'...) :cool: :rolleyes: :D ;)

Gold miner said:
Hey Tone,
I think what Shauno's theory is, fill the tube, not letting anything 'cept water go through the pump????
My thought was that its a diagphram pump, and should take gravel and small rocks no worries... therefore use the collection tube as a sort of 'boiler box'
(or not to offend me mate wal, a 'gravity separation trap'...) :cool: :rolleyes: :D ;)

Hi guys,

Yep, you're right on the money GM! Whatever gravels/golds etc. pass through will drop straight down into the lower section of the PVC pipe only allowing the water and small debris to pass through into the pump side.

A gravity separation trap is exactly right. Primarily acting Just like a large drop riffle :)

The viewing window idea had been on my mind as well Tone. Perhaps I could sleeve a clear tube inside the lower PVC section and just have a long cut out area. I'd have to do a few tests of scratching and wear and tear to see if scuff marks would remove the clarity of the plastic over time before trying that.

Kindest regards,
Shauno.

Hi Guys,

I built one off Shauno's plan and it is definitely designed to catch all, with only water/some overflow to go through to the pump. I overfilled it once and then the gravel etc started to get to the pump and overtime some of the rocks don't blow out of the pump so it is an easy clean. Since then I have actually put some fly screen across the outlet to the pump so very little gets to the pump now.

I have put a bucket under the outlet hose and have found any colour blowing out the back.

A great crevice tool !

Cheers
Pete

If you want a frame to mount it to so you can carry it, search fleabay, gumtree etc for an ALICE Frame. This is what Wal used on his highbanker and also used on army backpacks

BrisJoe said:
If you want a frame to mount it to so you can carry it, search fleabay, gumtree etc for an ALICE Frame. This is what Wal used on his highbanker and also used on army backpacks

Cheers BrisJoe! I definitely need to get it finished by the time the warmer weather comes around again. I'll keep an eye on the usual sites for anything that pops up. I've heard army disposal outlets carry equipment like the full frame backpacks now and again but I've yet to visit one. I like Wal's straps and I'm sure they'd be an easy project to attach.

All the best,
Shauno.

PeterHarden said:
Hi Guys,

I built one off Shauno's plan and it is definitely designed to catch all, with only water/some overflow to go through to the pump. I overfilled it once and then the gravel etc started to get to the pump and overtime some of the rocks don't blow out of the pump so it is an easy clean. Since then I have actually put some fly screen across the outlet to the pump so very little gets to the pump now.

I have put a bucket under the outlet hose and have found any colour blowing out the back.

A great crevice tool !

Cheers
Pete

G'day Peter,

So glad you found the idea useful! Feel free to add anything here to the topic that needs addressing as I've yet to finish my one. Going off the original heavy ground based model we also had screens on the outlet pipe to the pump. I used some small expanded galvanised mesh that was laying about. It's pictured on the outlet side black poly connector of the PVC screw cap.

We had the same issue at first with the pump pulling small gravels and debris through (previous to adding the outlet mesh gate). Having fairly long clear 1" pipe we could see anything pumping through and knew to stop. When you get used to it you'll probably know when it's full enough simply by the weight or sound inside the main body.

All the best with it. Post a result photo if you ever hit that elusive rich crevice! :D

Kindest regards,
Shauno.

Any one know of a good brand and details if it a great idea to use a hand pump to suck bed rock up from the creeks. Since Queensland you can't use elec/ petrol pumps

Just use a yabby pump mate.
1375348825_5495874_f520.jpg

If you look up on you tube there are some videos of some blokes that make their own. If you want to be cheap that might be the way to go.

Greg

Hay HB,
I'd be interested in the check valves if it has any. I'm in the middle of building one to go on the end of a yabbie pump but finding valves of a reasonable size is a challenge.
I have looked at the gold n sands but I haven't found any check valves that small.

Cheers
Mick

backcreek said:
Hay HB,
I'd be interested in the check valves if it has any. I'm in the middle of building one to go on the end of a yabbie pump but finding valves of a reasonable size is a challenge.
I have looked at the gold n sands but I haven't found any check valves that small.

Cheers
Mick

Hi Mick , It does have valves & gimme 10 min , I will take a photo of the valves

Cheers Paul

Latest posts