Hand Crevice Sucker Pump

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Syndyne

Shaun Galman
Reaction score
Hi all,

As this had some interest over on Matt22's DIY Hand Dredge thread, I thought I would give it it's own thread to be a bit more concise on changes and idea's that may come.

The basics of this bilge pump design had come from a previous one I found many years ago and I believe there are one or two similar still around on the older US prospecting forums. However saying that, I have yet to see or find a good backpack mounted design like this. The basic parts are in the first photo -minus the actual strapping section that I still need to find for the mounting application. It can still be used on the ground as we did with the first design, but not as portable that way.
1365995869_pump_parts.jpg

These 1" Jabsco manual bilge pumps are some serious business! Purchased from BIAS Boating and rated at 100L/min -which I feel is pretty close to real world use as it gives a squirt that goes out anywhere between 12-15feet every second or so. In the field we found that once primed it only needed a few good pumps to create tremendous suction in the PVC unit. The reason for the PVC is that on initial testing we thought of using a drum for strength so I set it up with a thick walled brewers keg (rated for high compression) and after priming and giving a few good pumps the keg just imploded and completely destroyed itself. It did this on a second try with a 10ltr (20Gallon) steel oil drum (with the clip locking lid) . This was a blessing in a way as we also realised the weight of a drum full of dirt and water was far too much to handle anyway so we then scaled it down somewhat.

The first successful ground mounted design of the 100mm PVC section was basically two 3feet long sections joined with a U bend and a 90 bend at one end of one section going up so as not to draw sand and gravels through into the pump -even though they do no harm as the pump is all of a plastic and rubber construction. I also have a piece of 1/4"mesh folded over the outlet pipe inside the PVC section.

Here's a top-down sketch of what the older PVC section looked like:
1365996893_old_pump_design.jpg

This was still very heavy and awkward to empty when full. For this older version we also had the pump on a small separate stand. The results from this first design speak for themselves with full testing down on the Buckland River. My good friends (who had an identical one to ours after I bought them everything needed to thank them for the use of their shed while staying in Albury) used a cut off silicone gun nozzle (two of which are pictured with the pump at the top) cut down to 12mm/half inch with great success (after I had come home) as it still gave very high suction while preventing blockages.
1365997457_before_and_after.jpg

What I see ahead is something along these lines:
1365996977_pump_design.jpg

The base of the PVC section as a backpack is now easy to unscrew and empty into a sluice or pan etc. What I still need to do is probably just mount the pump on a non water reactive board like plastic or perspex to either stand or kneel on when using one-handed. Should do the trick nicely when finished. No more shoving your hands into small cracks and holes risking a bit of broken glass/old rusty metal cutting you or using your mouth to suck up the mud and gravels into a hose, sometimes resulting in an unwanted mouthful.

Any comments or questions are always highly appreciated! I may have left out a bit here and there but I hopefully got the basics of it across.

Cheers guys,
Shauno.

Looks like a neat jigga you made.
Good thinking with the hand bilge pump.

A heads-up to anyone in Victoria tho... Don't get caught using something like this.
Hydraulic excavation is a no go wether mechanically or hand powered.

Looks good mate!!
I'm sure you would have factored in that every 10mm on a 90mm pipe is going to be almost a litre or more importantly, for you back.....nearly a kilo!
Put it together full size and see how heavy its going to be?? Might have to scale it down some?? (Well you might be right but I'm only a skinny fella!! ;) )

Really nice Shauno
You've put a lot of thought into it and its showing the goods.
just a silly question. Have you thought of incorporating the bilge pump [vacume pump] onto the unit a bit like the back-pack pressure sprayers used for pest control? That way with one hand you can pump the vacume and with the other hand attached to a "wand' you can suck up your material ?? Just thinking it would be easier on the old knees and back.[or just downright lazy... :D]
I'll be the first to put up my hand and admit ive never done any crevasing before so my question may be flawed and not practical.
Still,love your idea and looking forward to seeing some more
Cheers
Chris

Gold miner said:
Looks good mate!!
I'm sure you would have factored in that every 10mm on a 90mm pipe is going to be almost a litre or more importantly, for you back.....nearly a kilo!
Put it together full size and see how heavy its going to be?? Might have to scale it down some?? (Well you might be right but I'm only a skinny fella!! ;) )

Cheers GM!

Yeah, I have been slightly concerned about the weight issue and I'm a pretty big guy at 6'1" so fingers crossed I can handle it. I'll bet she'd go around 25kg (55lbs) when full! I could imagine after a few hours it would get tough on the old back. By all means it would be easy to replicate using 40 or 60mm PVC pipes. It's only that I had the old one there to make use of -we are three and a half hours away from the nearest Bunnings :D

What is in our favour is that these crevice pumps were only a clean-up tool, coming in to finish the section after everything has been removed via shovel/small crevicing tools etc. so time spent using it is only a small amount. I'll make a smaller one in May when we are on our prospecting trip :)

Take care,
Shauno.

ChrisM said:
Really nice Shauno
You've put a lot of thought into it and its showing the goods.
just a silly question. Have you thought of incorporating the bilge pump [vacume pump] onto the unit a bit like the back-pack pressure sprayers used for pest control? That way with one hand you can pump the vacume and with the other hand attached to a "wand' you can suck up your material ?? Just thinking it would be easier on the old knees and back.[or just downright lazy... :D]
I'll be the first to put up my hand and admit ive never done any crevasing before so my question may be flawed and not practical.
Still,love your idea and looking forward to seeing some more
Cheers
Chris

Thanks very much Chris!

I've been racking my brain trying to figure out how to shape and adapt a handle to the pump so it could be adapted to the PVC pipe section but, that pump requires a heap of force to pump at times and that may result in a bent handle or two. We found it very easy to have the pump separate, particularly if you have a mate with you to share the work load :)

Like GM said above, it will get heavy when full so I'll make a smaller one in a few weeks and see how it goes. There are versions actually made using pressure sprayer bottles (for weed spraying) though they'd need to be extremely tough and not prone to blockages from small rocks etc to really be any good. I'm sure it could be done with a little thinking however.

What I should've mentioned in the original post was that the outlet side of the pump makes a great pressure sprayer to blast the cracks and crevices clean while simultaneously sucking with the other inlet nozzle.

Kindest regards,
Shauno.

I found a solution Shauno!!!
I know how to make it lighter, and work well!!!
Shit, Wal......why didnt we think of this earlier? ;)
But....
A couple of nips out of Glenarrghno single malt...
I need to sleep, and think about this... :eek: :8

Hi Shauno, great setup there..
If your looking for some kind of back pack to put together I have seen one made
Out of a plastic molded chair. The type of thing you see in kids classroom. It had one chair with the
Seat and the back from another chair cut away from the seat and screwed to form a curved back support.
It had seat belts used for shoulder and waist belt just screwed on with penny washers to stop it
Pulling away.
The bloke using it used to put a bucket on the seat part and occy strap it onto the seat back..
Funniest thing I'd seen but effective.

Cheers Rudy

hey Shauno,
Hows this for an idea?
The long collection tube is not needed, why collect kilo's of gravel?
So if you turn around the top pipe, shorten the bottom one, and let the thing act like a sluice with one riffle?
All you want in that bottom tube is heavies.... so as material is going along in the direction of the arrow, heavies will fall, displacing lighter stuff.
Clean up will be all gold!!

1366063425_1365995869_pump_parts.jpg

Gold miner said:
Looks good mate!!

think you need to add another "0" to your 10 mm of pipe to get even close to your 1 litre ............90mm pipe volume is about 7 litres per 1mtr of pipe which is only .7 of a litre of water per 100mm of pipe
or 700grms per 100mm of pipe .
not trying to nit pick just fixing up an error .

johno

Cheers for the input everyone! We'll get this thing refined in the finish.

The Rocketeer reference gave me a good chuckle Nugget!

There are a number of ways this thing can be done GM. I like to see any and all other ideas put forward though! :)
It was just that matter of trial and much error (as these new ideas normally come with) and a balance between fine crack recovery and those larger cracks/holes that have two or three bucket fulls of wash to remove. Why I have such a long drop in the PVC is that the pump will pull small gravels, sand and some mud through into the outlet pipe very quickly once the water is shooting through there -this is usually how I tell that she's full.

Talking it over last night with Dad I figured we could use this as more of a ground-based unit. I'm liking the idea more and more of building a new one from smaller 60mm PVC. All I need now is a good pack mule to cart all this gear with! :D

Kindest regards,
Shauno.

Hey Lads,
Just out of curiosity here, what are the legalities on using this as it is a not a manual means of collecting material to process.
I dont think a ranger would agree with you if you are caught out, mmm I could be wrong though.
I am all for this sorta inventions and gear etc but the greenies and rangers will see it differently.
Just a thought.
Cheers
Brad....

brad i was thinking perzackerly the same thing i have my doubts that this would be legal . that is just what i rekon though and i could be wrong , but i for one would not want to test it out on a cranky ranger cos i dont think i would want the fine that could go with it .

johno

aushunter said:
Hey Lads,
Just out of curiosity here, what are the legalities on using this as it is a not a manual means of collecting material to process.
I dont think a ranger would agree with you if you are caught out, mmm I could be wrong though.
I am all for this sorta inventions and gear etc but the greenies and rangers will see it differently.
Just a thought.
Cheers
Brad....

Hi Brad,

Absolutely no problem at all using this equipment as it's purely hand powered and not emptying into a sluice by itself. I've talked with several rangers over the years about using gear like this without any worries. Some of them actually think the idea is quite novel. Most don't seem to know the rules as far as prospecting goes but will usually direct you to the local state DPI.
We have a main DPI office here in town -primarily for opal mining purposes but they do have quick access to any other rulings/regulations needed for coal/gold eg. by means of a quick call to the head offices. The former mines registrar here Jeff Inman (who I've known personally for many years) now runs one of the main offices down at Orange. That office is only secondary to the head department at Maitland which we have to answer to now regarding mineral claim registration, environmental and mine management safety issues.

We've basically worked for, and with the DPI for our entire time mining here. Doing the several compulsory DPI courses helped a lot when it comes to butting heads with a ranger when needed. If anything was done wrong while mining we knew about it straight away and could then correct it.

While prospecting at Adelong a few years back I made time to pop in to the Tumut City Council to have a chat with Vince who was the ranger for the area to discuss access to the creeks (after the major floods in 2010-2011) and using the highbanker etc. He was a great guy and was more than happy to talk about the topic. We got to the point where he actually invited us to his house for a cuppa as he was interested to see the couple of ounces of gold my father got there panning in the early 80's -as it went into the local paper at the time. It pays dividends to be friendly :)

I also knew Peter who was the ranger for the Burrendong State area a few years back (which some of you here may have met). Talking with him was also great as he was a really nice bloke. I think he was more fascinated by opal mining than gold prospecting however.

They can sometimes appreciate prospectors approaching them for information before working/visiting an area. I've yet to run into a ranger with a nasty attitude towards where you can or cannot go and what you can or cannot use, but I'll bet they're around. If you're ever in doubt it's always best to run a check on the gear you're using for the area by contacting the local state DPI and they'll be more than happy to send you a link to the rules and regulations or print you a copy. If they send you a copy or you print them out then keep those rules with you at all times (similar to the VIC Miners Right) just in case they turn up to give you a real bad day.

If you'd like a good laugh (or possible nightmares) have a look into what's required to legally use a gold dredge for working a small area over on the NSW DPI website. :D

Kindest regards,
Shauno.

I've enquired at Vic DPI about similar & even though it is hand powered, you will be excavating gold bearing gravels hydraulically - no different to a dredge & in Victoria not allowed.

You are right though, if in doubt, take your contraptions to the local ranger for approval before using. If he gives you the okay nod then I recon you'd be fine.
Most haven't studied all the rules & if seen to be doing no damage, they are cool & like said, often show interest

Hi Ag Man,

Thanks for that! Well said. I'm only speaking from the NSW side of things. We are fine as long as it's manually placed into a sluice or pan etc and not directly from the pump (hydraulically dredging or using a venturi nozzle). Definitely always best to check with your state DPI or the local ranger though.

We were under the keen eye of the ranger a couple of times down on the Buckland River in VIC back in 2011 but he didn't seem to mind us using the pump or highbankers. He never really said much at all. He just checked our Miners Rights etc. had a quick general chat then drove on. No drama's that time luckily!

I'm not sure if these prospecting rules are still current as highbankers and hand operated pumps are quite legal to use in NSW now, but I'll throw this here for anyone interested: http://www.resources.nsw.gov.au/__d.../A-Guide-to-Fossicking-in-New-South-Wales.PDF

OT: I had a laugh at the "How Much Can I Take?" section of those regulations. I mean if you found a one hundred gram nugget would you cut it in half and throw fifty grams of gold back on to the ground along with any other nuggets you had found over 48hrs? I wouldn't, that's for damn sure! ;)

I guess there will always be those "grey areas" in the legal terms but most are only a guideline at best. As long we don't dredge, tear into the banks, divert water flow or put a large out of place holes into the creeks/rivers we'll all be fine. Fill in any holes, remove all rubbish and we'll all be golden for many years to come.

Cheers and all the best out there!
Shauno.

Thanks kindly Wozza :)

Still a ways to go with it yet but, it's a nice little side project to do over the Winter months before the warmer prospecting weather returns. Should be a pretty handy tool when it's done.

Cheers,
Shauno.

Latest posts