Gympie has a new inspector

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smoky bandit said:
I here you cecc
I would love to use a highbanker as well....Dont get me wrong mate..... if you want to use a pump go for it ...im not one to dobb on people....But if everyone at gympie starts seeing people using pumps and highbankers ....how long do you think we will be able to keep going there...its the closest place we can enjoy our fast fading hobby....we dont need people getting upset with the rules....and doing what ever they want......Mate we wont win...And all that will happen is the area will get closed down...Just like the prophet mine in kilkiven....Someone using a highbanker on west cost rd dug a hole big enough to fit a small car in....So that was the last straw for john ....and he closed his doors to the avarage panner....And yobs ....have you fitted an electric pump to the rockin yobskin ....i dont think you would have :p ...At the rate all the newbies are turning up to gympie to try there luck...To prevent closure of deep creek ....we should all be setting a goog example...Dont you think... :D
Actually yep an electronic shaker and water pump dual fueled....petrol motor runs generater feeds electricity to shaker motor and pump...excess power gets stored in a deep cell battery...which also keeps my fridge running at 3c nothing like a cold beer...

Problem with this debate is no-one is really prepared to step up and run a pump powered highbanker and run the risk of a fine and then a costly court battle to try and win an unwinnable case.

The Mines Dept have responsibility to administer the Act and they seem to have maximum discretion about how they choose to do that.

Ive been wanting for some time to buy and use a baker but it's just too hard....I will just keep using a sluice.

The rest of this debate is just BS until someone is prepared to be fined and go to court....then go through appeals etc. Aint nobody got time for that shit.

Yeah Mike, i am not willing to test It could not afford any sort of court battle, but there is still hope if we all band together and fight on a united front.....United we stand , divided we FALL!!!

I was at Deep Creek last Saturday Aug the 27th. I ran my 3700 GPH bilge and waited for the inspector to come. Nah, didn't show up. I will continue to do so until I run into one of them. Let us not cower as they advance.

Paul

It seems to be an ongoing debate regarding the dos and do nots about pumps, clearly it states hand tools only for excavation, ie fossicking for materials, but there is no mention on how you can process it. I have been using pumps for my bankers and will be using a pump for the trommel I am building. All a pump is doing is moving water so you can process the collected material.
A lot of inspectors and the like look into the bullsh@t to much and start to conjur up there own interpretation of the law.
talk to the guy and be polite about your hobby, you might be surprised.
I will continue to move water via pump to wash my hand dug fossicked material that is stated by law.
I have been doing this for 35yrs.
Now go get some gold.

Cheers
Brad

Aushunter...check out...use of pumps in Gympie...on this forum....there is a email from the qld inspector...clearly stating rules and regs...

You are right about the use of pumps in the Gympie Fossicking area, due to the fact maybe noise from the pumps in a built up area, but out in the scrub I will use mine no worries as long as I am not bothering anyone else.
I think a 12v bildge should be allowed as they have minimal impact overall, some saying what about acid spills, well if using a bildge pump use a sealed deep cycle which can be turned upside down, submerged or what ever that will be leak free.
Play safe,

Cheers
Brad....

Smoky...good on ya for trying to be helpful but my experience in this particular matter on using pumps to feed sluices or highbankers is...you cant tell people who either
(a) don't want to be told
(b) know everything already - there's a few of them :)
(c) can be told but don't like the answer they get or
(d) have a vested commercial interest in perpetuating misinformation.

The other category (e) they know the law but do their own thing anyway ...because they know the risks and probably wont whinge if they get caught and probably wont tell anyone if they get into trouble.

cheers mate :)

Hi mike..So true....i knew the rules and regs...and was just trying to help people understand.......but as you said....you cant help everyone...it sucks that in Qld... were no Supposed to use pumps :mad: .as a highbanker has always been on my x mas list.lol... :D

Dont worry yobs....theres enough of me for you to......
As i said we havent even had our first date yet ;)

Latest posts