Gympie has a new inspector

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only spoke to him on the phone i had some questions on the way I was prospecting just wanted to know if I was within the law. He seems like a nice bloke.

Ok will be good to meet him and let him know all the good blokes at the creek and get to know him

@ Smokey bandit- you said you cant use a petrol powered pump at Deep Creek? Why? It doesnt say anywhere you cant, you are only not allowed to use a machine to dig, washing your dirt is different.

You can't use any sort of machinery in designated fossicking areas in Qld .....whether your loading or washing your dirt......makes no difference.....who uses a water pump to load dirt into your sluice or highbanker...That would be dredging wouldn't it. Anyway the day i see the locals in Gympie using machinery will be the day....i also use machinery...One in all in i say... :D

Smoky B dont go off chops mate....everyone shovels their dirt manualy they use water pumps to clean rocks... and dont go classing water pumps as machinery you are starting to sound like rossco... so one in all in you say.....im going to hold you to that.. :D

Hey yobs .. ;) . You locals guys are setting the example for the rest of us outsiders....If you guys are using electric water pumps to run your sluices... Then i will too....I cant Imagine how many buckets of dirt i will be able to wash now...But leaking battery acid into water ways might be an issue :/ ...Also hope no one leaves their batteries behind..Ect.Could be an environmental issue ....with multiple people using batteries to run their pumps...That could be a couple of reasons the act says the use of water pumps is strictly prohibited...Not sure what do you guys think

Well, Ill be there running my 3hp petrol pump through my highbanker, so feel free to join

Most people put the battery up on the bank away from the water, and if a battery is leaking I would expect that the person would notice that and not use it.

As yobs stated we all manually collect the dirt, and put it into a little banjo or banker and the unit then washes the rocks and gravel which flow through the system....with larger rocks falling off and the gravel and heavy materials go down over the bottom sluice and get caught with the lights flowing on over the riffles and out.

Sorry cecc
Makes no difference...Its all to do with environmental issues...Thats why we are not supposed to use them...The average person would do the right thing and not spill acid or fuel ...But accidents happen.....Also there are alot of cowboys around that think they can do what they want and dont care about the rules.....Dont get me wrong cowboys i was a cowboy for many years... :mad: :D :D

Smoky I hear you, what gets us is the draconian laws here in QLd compared to other states, the highest fees and the least area's to go and enjoy our pastime. Yes there will always be those who do the wrong thing and that's where an inspector can come and clean it up. But most of us would like to use a highbanker, with the utmost respect for the bush and surrounding area. I have taken so much garbage out of the creek, because I love it, being there with my mates having a chuckle and a good old yarn while digging and classifying and having a pan.

NSW and Vic they can use petrol motors and battery powered pumps, and most of them dig a channel back to the original water source so it goes back and being filtered over the rocks and gravel.....yeah I was a cowboy too, chasing brums up in the Snowy. All we want is a fair go....and what get's up our nose is the highest cost of fees here in QLD, for what, little or no designated area's to go have a dig, draconian laws about how a bloke can just pump a bit of water into a banjo or banker, come on. See what is the issue here, no wonder people decide to step outside the law, when they get pushed too hard, all we want is a fair go and we aint getting here in QLD.

I here you cecc
I would love to use a highbanker as well....Dont get me wrong mate..... if you want to use a pump go for it ...im not one to dobb on people....But if everyone at gympie starts seeing people using pumps and highbankers ....how long do you think we will be able to keep going there...its the closest place we can enjoy our fast fading hobby....we dont need people getting upset with the rules....and doing what ever they want......Mate we wont win...And all that will happen is the area will get closed down...Just like the prophet mine in kilkiven....Someone using a highbanker on west cost rd dug a hole big enough to fit a small car in....So that was the last straw for john ....and he closed his doors to the avarage panner....And yobs ....have you fitted an electric pump to the rockin yobskin ....i dont think you would have :p ...At the rate all the newbies are turning up to gympie to try there luck...To prevent closure of deep creek ....we should all be setting a goog example...Dont you think... :D

yeah Smoky, true I don't want to upset the apple cart, and I do get upset with the rules because I've always hated injustice, but will still obey the law. I will just have to pan and banjo with ladle....that'll do me.

Yes it will, done it before will do it again....at least I can use my banjo and ladle. Love doing it, and love panning so all good.

Latest posts