GPZ7000 release, questions and information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In A nut shell it's highly unlikely your GPS will even have the capacity to transmit the volume of data required for details.

As I've said earlier, it's when you download on to your PC that your information can be accessed. Either voluntary by up loading the over lay onto google or if your hacked.

Wolfau said:
bushpig said:
Wolfau said:
bushpig said:
So a third party can see your POI's but how would they know if you found a nugget at that position? Unless of course you marked that position as 100oz nugget found here.

Call Minelab and ask them the question.

Do you have a problem with me asking questions here mate?

Why would I have a problem?

You asked a product specific question and a product specific question
is best answered by those that designed and built it.

So I made the suggestion of contacting Minelab and your perception
was I have a problem with what you asked...

I don't know why you would have a problem do you want me to guess?

It was a product specific question and this is a product specific thread.

Thank you for your suggestion moving on.

The only way to have absolute protection of your digital data is to have a PC that never goes online to the internet. It would not be that hard to access a specific target/persons wireless router and PC if they leave them on as most do.

Wintersnake said:
Hate to tell you but every time your GPS pings the satellite's it's in the hands of a third party.
When you set waypoints or mark finds it's a local save to your device.

GPS units do not 'ping' satellites. The GPS system is passive - receive only.

Wintersnake said:
In A nut shell it's highly unlikely your GPS will even have the capacity to transmit the volume of data required for details.

As I've said earlier, it's when you download on to your PC that your information can be accessed. Either voluntary by up loading the over lay onto google or if your hacked.
Take it in for a service into minelab. OH hello information from end user. Likely probably not. But doable. I'm not suggesting they would but who really knows hey?

grubstake said:
Wintersnake said:
Hate to tell you but every time your GPS pings the satellite's it's in the hands of a third party.

Yes until you plug into a PC or similar.

That is where the concerns are with most people. By activating and accepting the T&C's of the software it will say what is being captured and what isn't being captured.

For anyone interested this is Minelab's general T&C's - http://www.minelab.com/aus/privacy-legals I haven't bothered but anyone interested to read will get a general view on Minelab's position, if it is like most it will be highly ambiguous and open for abuse, should they WISH to.

Wintersnake said:
Most Software these days states in the Terms and conditions that the software developer owns your soul and can make you into a human centipede. 8)

Don't you mean Centipad :)

Warning - Typical South Park, now you have been warned.

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sglZGSwK6ow[/video]

grubstake said:
Wintersnake said:

Yeah I know. ping was the best term I could think of at the time.

Goldtarget said:
Wintersnake said:

Take it in for a service into minelab. OH hello information from end user. Likely probably not. But doable. I'm not suggesting they would but who really knows hey?
Yes this is also possible however if your that paranoid about others discovering your billion dollar hoard of unfound gold I guess you would delete the info.

Wintersnake said:
Yes this is also possible however if your that paranoid about others discovering your billion dollar hoard of unfound gold I guess you would delete the info.

Or not enable the GPS function in the first place and mark an X on your personal paper map,
which is the safest, most accurate way.

To be honest I'm going to call the GPS function a gimmick, I'd never use it. It's good that the detector is upgradable via it's port, but yeah the GPS will probably not be used by most people I reckon.

Heatho said:
To be honest I'm going to call the GPS function a gimmick, I'd never use it. It's good that the detector is upgradable via it's port, but yeah the GPS will probably not be used by most people I reckon.

Here in WA, patches can cover a huge area of often quite featureless ground. Having access to a live GPS record of finds seems a much better idea for keeping track of nugget dispersal than using little flags that would give the game away to any interlopers.

Heatho said:

I usually know quite well where i am, but this happened to me using the GPZ recently. I was walking a different way to an old spot, just to check out a certain ridge. The ground looked real good, so I switched the unit on and popped up a piece. So I enabled the GPS, hit the waypoint button, and saved. Next time, I can just go to the Nav screen on the unit and find my way to the spot. Even if it's rarely used, it's there. I think it will come in real handy for those looking for patches in WA and possibly other places, when you DON'T want to leave any chain marks behind.

Hi Phase Tech,
A quick question about the GPS on the 7000.
If your vehicle for example is beyond the 100m zoom range on the screen and at the end of your detecting session and you're, say 600m away from the vehicle or some other waypoint that you wish to navigate back to, does the screen show a track line that runs off the screen in the direction of said waypoint?
Also, do you know if the position co-ords can be changed from Lat/Long to UTM? Working for the most part over relatively small areas it would be far more accurate to work with metres rather than trying to juggle degrees, minutes and seconds especially if you are working to a position on a 1:25000 Topo map.
Cheers, SinHof.

I did see this re the software, open source coding is a little concerning. I would personally not be using it for any significant finds.

SOFTWARE
Certain components of the XChange2 PC software application for use in conjunction with the Minelab GPZ 7000 are subject to the GNU General Public License, Version 2
(GPLv2, www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html), or other open source licenses (Open Source Software). In compliance with the terms of these Open Source Software licenses, the
Open Source Software that Minelab uses, modifies and distributes is made available to the public, in source code form, at www.minelab.com/open-source. Complete details
of the applicable licenses can be downloaded from this website, and can also be found on the installation CD for the software that is included in the box with the GPZ 7000
detector.
Minelab, GPZ 7000, ZVT, Super-D, Wi-Stream, GPSi, FindPoint, GeoHunt, GeoStore, GeoTrail, XChange Your Detecting Connection, PRO-SWING 45, J-strut,
R-clip, S-cuff are trademarks of Minelab Electronics Pty. Ltd. Google Maps is a trademark of Google Inc.

LC76 said:
I'm curious about the software for the 7000.
Does anyone know if the program for the gps part of the detector sends any information out to a third party?

The GPZ Instruction Manual includes the following privacy declaration by Minelab (at page 35):

To protect the privacy of your GPS and GeoStore data:
GPS is Off by default.
GPS and GeoStore data is only ever stored locally on your detector and locally on your PC (if transferred using XChange 2).
The detector does NOT transmit GPS or GeoStore data wirelessly.
GPS and GeoStore data is NOT transmitted to Minelab from your detector or PC.
Your data is NOT accessible by others via the internet and NOT stored online (cloud storage).

grubstake said:
LC76 said:
I'm curious about the software for the 7000.
Does anyone know if the program for the gps part of the detector sends any information out to a third party?

The GPZ Instruction Manual includes the following privacy declaration by Minelab (at page 35):

To protect the privacy of your GPS and GeoStore data:
GPS is Off by default.
GPS and GeoStore data is only ever stored locally on your detector and locally on your PC (if transferred using XChange 2).
The detector does NOT transmit GPS or GeoStore data wirelessly.
GPS and GeoStore data is NOT transmitted to Minelab from your detector or PC.
Your data is NOT accessible by others via the internet and NOT stored online (cloud storage).

Pretty definitive statement by minelab.

Heatho said:
The only way to have absolute protection of your digital data is to have a PC that never goes online to the internet. It would not be that hard to access a specific target/persons wireless router and PC if they leave them on as most do.

I didn't know you were a havker heatho.... youd have hard time cracking my router plus firewall

Latest posts