GPZ7000 release, questions and information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The GPS would be a good function for gridding or chaining and completely covering a patch but I don't know about putting markers in where it finds gold.
Who knows who might be able to find these spots from the information stored on your PC once downloaded from your detector.
My bet would be to put a way point in saying Puddler or some other description that you would associate with finding a nugget but wouldn't put it in under the GeoFind section. More note the GPS coordinated off the screen and store them on paper or pic of the screen on your phone or app software if using MotionX-GPS or other GPS software.
As far as battery life goes it claims to have 8 hrs with GPS, Backlight and Wireless speaker enabled.

1424900071_gps_statement.jpg

1424900517_geofind.jpg

1424900984_gpz_technical.jpg

I'm not GD and I hope your system is secure, though it would not be that hard to do for someone with the right knowledge and tools. Mine is reasonably secure also. Though you know most people never actually put a password on their router, it is usually the default "admin and password" as the user name and password.

Also most people leave the file sharing and other access open when not being used. I always turn my network and file sharing off and leave it that way unless transfering files. Network discovery is another, I keep it turned of also so my network is not visible to start with.

There are endless ways security can be compromised. Some sneaky devil could even write a trojan that goes especially sniffing for the specific software, not likely but possible.

G0lddigg@ said:
Why would you worry about open source?

Fair point, however I tend to think with a project that has the ability to use public programmers to improve their product, it only takes one really smart one to put something into the program that does something that it shouldn't normally do ?

Then again I am not a programmer and I will take off my tin foil hat for a minute, at the end of the day the amount that I have found is useless. So if they want to track my success go for it I certainly would not be near the top of the list :(

I think we can all feel comfortable that we are not being tracked or data logged by Minelab ?

Edit - Just seen post above, so I suppose we all can have some concerns, but realistically not sure how it would effect in the real world.

Heatho said:
I'm not GD and I hope your system is secure, though it would not be that hard to do for someone with the right knowledge and tools. Mine is reasonably secure also. Though you know most people never actually put a password on their router, it is usually the default "admin and password" as the user name and password.

Also most people leave the file sharing and other access open when not being used. I always turn my network and file sharing off and leave it that way unless transfering files. Network discovery is another, I keep it turned of also so my network is not visible to start with.

There are endless ways security can be compromised. Some sneaky devil could even write a trojan that goes especially sniffing for the specific software, not likely but possible.

its certainly true that people using old technology do leave things as the default however back in 2009 the responsibility for safe networking was placed firmly on ISP's (internet service providers) in Australia and i recall back then they were initially required to install your new router. thats has passed now and they can send you a router and post your password and username but they cannot leave it that way anymore.

The old default passwords are illegal if provided by an ISP however if your an average bloke who is not happy about the wifi not reaching into your shed and you walk into Harvey Norman and buy a booster then your up the proverbial creek :)
password everything lads....

Redfin said:
grubstake said:
Your data is NOT accessible by others via the internet and NOT stored online (cloud storage).
If you use Google Maps it will be possible, highly improbable, but possible

Big statement , after what happened to Codan / Minelab

http://www.electronicsnews.com.au/news/codan-network-hacked-by-chinese

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/stories/2013/05/27/3766576.htm

I have to tell you blokes I am a google partner and Marketing Director and device dependent google can actually track where you have been in a day if you leave your sharing and tracking history turned on. and we can show ads to you based on his data

I'll share something that will probably freak most of your out.... go to this page and login with the same google account you use on your phone. if you have been letting google track your history here you will find it.

https://maps.google.com/locationhistory/b/0

Hi GOldigg@, I think most people these days are aware of what google can do.

When I said possible, but highly improbable, I was referring to a 3rd party gaining access.

I Just tried it and although at the moment there is not location history, looking in the past when on a trip, you are correct GD. I note that at times it seems to just be reporting the local phone tower that you are connected to but at other times provides what looks like significant detail, as though it is reporting based on GPS being active.

Would this be the case?

Rob

sort of, in Australia we have the most stringent privacy laws so unless you permit google to use your GPS it cannot, it can however use a method of triangulation to make an estimate of your location. generally speaking if you took a photo and gave your android phone permission to backup your photos the default is log gps. bit scary....

facebook is worse.... i once posted an image on facebook whilst out prospecting... shortly after maybe 15 minutes a bloke who had friend-ed me popped up in the bush.... he said "you really should hide your location on facebook" he was bale to pin point my exact location

G0lddigg@ said:
The old default passwords are illegal if provided by an ISP however if your an average bloke who is not happy about the wifi not reaching into your shed and you walk into Harvey Norman and buy a booster then your up the proverbial creek :)
password everything lads....

Exactly, anyone who uses a wireless router from anywhere but their ISP should double check that it's password and username protected. You'd be surprised how many aren't. Turn off file sharing too if not using it.

I have just purchased the new 7000 and never used a detector before, HAHAHAHA. I purchased it from a hobby shop as it was the last one left in Australia. The sales person was very helpful but I would personally like some in field training. I know the prospecting retailers offer further training but they were sold out.
My question is can I invest in some on site tuition with someone who specializes in such services. Thanks.

Depends on where you are.

If close to the Canberra region would suggest contacting Detect 'A' Den, they have a great trainer available.

Obviously check with any detector store in your region. :)

Anyone selling the GPZ7000 should be an authorised Minelab dealer & as such should have told you about any available training days etc.
Contact Minelab directly if your unsure of what training etc. is being offered with the machine. The training is Minelab training not dealer training. Some dealers do offer extended courses at a cost or sometimes thrown into the deal too. You can book into the Minelab training & any other dealer training regardless of where you buy it from. Contact Central West Prospecting Supplies in Mudgee - they do a two day course on set dates for a cost as do other dealers. CWPS run them in NSW & Victoria. Minelab will tell you where/how to book one of their training days & they are free. Did the "hobby shop" register your warranty for you? If not contact Minelab to do that also.
I don't think it was the only one left in Australia either. I was in a dealer today & they had at least one there on the floor. Didn't ask if that was their only one in stock though? Very helpful salesman indeed :lol:

mbasko said:
I was in a dealer today & they had at least one there on the floor. Didn't ask if that was their only one in stock though? Very helpful salesman indeed :lol:

I am surprised, shocked and bamboozled why you did not walk out with one :D :D :D

Wolfau said:
I am surprised, shocked and bamboozled why you did not walk out with one

I tried - they stopped me at the door. They then wouldn't take my Medicare card for payment & none of my other cards even added together could remove the doorman. :lol: Alas lack of funds had me beat.

Hey Dunny,
Glad you have it sorted..

Could you please post your finds, as a first time user of any detector.................

This is the sort of info that experianced users are after....

Mate, I would love to jump on board with your minute by minute blog, on how YOU go with your new 7000,.........................

I am looking forward to myour reports.

Just a quick question, I go for a detect with my new GPZ have the GPS on all day and mark gold with waypoints I have left my phone in the car with location off and no linked accounts no photos to facebook and gps off I get home transfer those points to my computer which has good internet security with firewalls and passwords on all routers and wifi, can just anyone get those waypoints?

Latest posts