GPZ7000 19" coil GPZ19 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeez guys, I just tried the Zed with the 19" coil yesterday (a 0.6g target) loaned by TryHard 1968 and it blew my 4500 with 14*9" Evo away with twice the detecting depth!!!!! Anyone wanting to sell their Zed, please point it my way :eek:

BigWave said:
Jeez guys, I just tried the Zed with the 19" coil yesterday (a 0.6g target) loaned by TryHard 1968 and it blew my 4500 with 14*9" Evo away with twice the detecting depth!!!!! Anyone wanting to sell their Zed, please point it my way :eek:
Hey Bigwave are you for real ??? Wanting to buy a GPZ :D

I've been following a number of threads like this one all over the net lately and have noticed its the same trend that always appears when something new arrives, especially something that has "Great Expectations". Minelab have kicked a lot of goals over the last 20 years so hopes are always going to be running high, none of us want to accept that maybe, just maybe, the gold just isn't there. I've been out 3 or 4 times in the last 10 days or so and have only scored 2 pieces with the GPZ 19 coil, and one could rightly assume I should know what I'm doing. :/ But I still ask myself the question, is it me? The coil? OR horror of horrors, is it because there's no gold left here?

So where is the Gold? Obviously its not where I've been swinging the coil! For me to succeed I'm just going to have to be more savvy in my approach and be persistent. I might even go back to GPZ the 14" for a bit to revitalize my approach, sort of like a reset and just get some gold again before re-tackling the GPZ 19 "beast" in 40 deg heat. Thing is I'm a veteran of this war, both from the public's expectations perspective and also in the search for gold, I've done all of this before and to date have always managed to overcome the hump in the road by falling back on the fundamentals of electronic prospecting.

So that's what I'm going to do, I'm going to get back to basics and build up again from there. :)

JP

Jonathan Porter said:
I've been following a number of threads like this one all over the net lately and have noticed its the same trend that always appears when something new arrives, especially something that has "Great Expectations". Minelab have kicked a lot of goals over the last 20 years so hopes are always going to be running high, none of us want to accept that maybe, just maybe, the gold just isn't there. I've been out 3 or 4 times in the last 10 days or so and have only scored 2 pieces with the GPZ 19 coil, and one could rightly assume I should know what I'm doing. :/ But I still ask myself the question, is it me? The coil? OR horror of horrors, is it because there's no gold left here?

So where is the Gold? Obviously its not where I've been swinging the coil! For me to succeed I'm just going to have to be more savvy in my approach and be persistent. I might even go back to GPZ the 14" for a bit to revitalize my approach, sort of like a reset and just get some gold again before re-tackling the GPZ 19 "beast" in 40 deg heat. Thing is I'm a veteran of this war, both from the public's expectations perspective and also in the search for gold, I've done all of this before and to date have always managed to overcome the hump in the road by falling back on the fundamentals of electronic prospecting.

So that's what I'm going to do, I'm going to get back to basics and build up again from there. :)

JP

I agree, I have hunted sites that have seen every detector made in the last 40 years and has been subject to dozens of Club rally's and yet I am find stuff where they did not, there is a lot to be said for going back to basics,,

Maybe the next layer of Gold is just a few feet further down or maybe it is just ultra small, Or maybe it is a lot deeper, It is very easy to blame the machine but just maybe Geology is to blame,,

John.

I've seen quite a few nice pictures of decent nuggets that have been found with the 19" coil. A few people have sent me photos of their finds. They are just not that interested in putting the pics on the forum which is fair enough in my opinion. They were not huge nuggets but they were decent sized nugs that were detected deeper than you'd think possible.

I don't own a zed but the reports I've received have given me enough of an idea what the coil is capable of and I'd happily tell owners to keep at it and don't lose faith in the coil or their detecting, as you said JP "getting back to the fundamentals" and doing a bit of prospecting might be in order to get onto the right areas with large deep gold. Might be quite a few goldless trips but when you find that right ground it will pay off.

Hi All,
JP's post about going back to basics; three of us hit the gold fields ASAP on the Monday morning the new 19" coil became available, five days later we had all found gold with the new coil, not a lot though and dug some astoundingly deep holes, pick, shovel and crow bar stuff, unfortunately for junk targets. Long grass, heat, flies took their toll so for the last day we went back to tried and proven methods and settings with the 14' coil, found some country with reasonably short grass and put a pleasing number of bits in the rattle jar, faith restored.
Cheers,SinHof.

wise words there MR P
don't go mad going back to basics leave some for me
see ya on the 28th :p
cheers bob

I'd rather detect (or procreate) than fight any day. I don't own a Zed (just a 5 yo 4500 - bloody brilliant machine), but am planning to, so I read a lot about it on numerous forums and love the passion and opinions.
I realise that an air test has its limitations and is only a rough guide, however where I understand that air testing really falls over is in comparing the 14" & 19" GPZ coils with larger targets.
In heavily mineralised grounds (viz the GT), I'm hearing that the 19" is way more tolerant to the point that you can generally change back from Difficult (with the 14") to Normal (with the 19"); keep a higher sensitivity and punch significantly deeper. This seems to be where it shines and makes air testing invalid.
I was amazed that the 19" Zed doubled my 4500 with 14*9 Evo running hot on a 0.6g target!
I also hear that the Vic GT has some of the most highly mineralised ground in Australia, so the 19" Zed would shine there if anywhere.
Also in air testing, EMI is worse for the larger coil above the ground due to its size, but this EMI generally drops off when moved closer to the ground (ground shielding).
I'll continue to avidly read this thread (less the bashings), and if proven wrong, will thank the contributors and will not invest in the 19" when I finally save enough to buy a Zed.
I'll also remind you all that we are discussing the World's best hobbyist gold detector - proudly Australian designed.

Please make detailed goldfield detecting reports and testbed reports in this thread. Please add information such as nugget weight, depth of finds, settings used and anything relevant that you think would be usefull info for other operators. Please only add info if you own a GPZ 19 or are using a GPZ 19 for your report. Depth comparisons between the 19" compared to the 14" are fine also. Anything off topic will be deleted.

OK I`ll give this another go,(cos I`m a stubborn old fart) just completed 2nd successful trip with the 19", as before to me it is a winner at the conservative settings Sens 10, HY, Normal, no smoothing, Vol 7, threshold 27. As before with these settings on my ground it runs with a quiet stable threshold, with an odd reverse signal whilst I have checked some of these they have so far turned out to be hot rocks, but as experienced operators know they can be gold thus once all "positive" signals are recovered on patch these will be checked out. On the shallower ground where the Z, SDC & 5000 had a ball, I have got nix with the 19", thus am fairly comfortable that all gold was removed on patch that could be before the 19" showed its magic.

As experienced users of the 14" on the Z know you get a odd signal that once you dig down a bit, the signal disappears, on opening out your hole so as to get your coil into hole signal is back on digging down further you find signal. I am finding this is more so with the 19", mainly on pieces 1 gram and lower. I believe this points out the meaninglessness of air tests especially where the Z is concerned. The skid plates have a annoying feature where they clip onto the coils receive coils they grab grass and you end up with of a bit of a birds nest, but as the coil is getting amongst the weight I`ll leave attaching some kind of skid plate for later.

Well hopefully Heatho this report will be accepted positively and lead to more user tests of the 19", whether positive or negative. Come on users let us give this a shot.

Thanks Norvic for your settings, re your Normal setting, with my Z14 I cannot use Normal in the areas that I go to in Vic and WA, I understanding that Normal can be used in FNQ with a Z14, so is your Normal setting on your Z19 for Vic or WA? ie takes the minerialised ground that much better.

Peter

No I use difficult on the 14" mainly, I suspect the gains the 19" give have a lot to do with being able to use normal on it. From my limited experience with the 19" at this stage I think if in more mineralised ground it would be better to drop sensitivity to maintain it in normal, that steady stable threshold is really required to get those deep ones, but I stress I`m only learning how to use the 19". I suspect with the 14" this is true also, but I always have run it hot, something I am considering is a mistake.

ZVT is new to us I guess it is going to take us a fair few years to really make it sing. I know if I wasn`t having success with the 19", I`d be trying more JP conservative settings with the 14", to prove or disprove this, but I suspect will be awhile before the 14" is back on my Z. Vic & WA are unknown to me with the Z, spent 2 years back last "century" with a 2100 & 2200 on those fields they certainly are more lively ground wise then FNQ.

Have been spending a bit more time on the Z19. I'm now running the longer heavy duty Double D bungy, which is mounted under the lower shaft clip. This works great. When you bend down to recover a shallow target you don't have to unclip it.

My settings have been HY, Difficult, Sens 7-11, Low Smoothing, Threshold 27, Volume 10-12 (depending on wind), using headphones.

I've also tried HY/ Normal / Sens 4 but the ground has been too hot and this combo hasn't produced anything.

On some deeper sections I've tried General, Difficult, Volume 9, Smoothing Off, Sens 7 and this has also worked well, particularly late in the arvo when EMI levels drop.

The bottom six were with the Z19, top were Z14.

1482273447_20161221_084231-1.jpg

Yeah, I think in OZ NQ has the quietest of ground, the 19 runs quiet as in normal wheras with the 14 I`m in difficult, I`m currently upping my sensitivity a bit but have found volume on the Z is not quite as we think. It effects the stability of the Z a fair bit, turned up brings in noise(internal not ground) that can mask signals but I do have audio smoothing off. So many variables and that is what adjustments are for to individualise the machine. But it is good to know the settings that are used by others.

Well getting more confident with the 19 now and finding the more conservative volume settings are the way to really open her up. This coils target response is a little more subtle than the 14, slowing down and having good coil control really helps to make a response audible as it seems to have a small sweet spot for such a big coil but when you hit it WOW!

Settings for the ground we have been working on in Nth QLD.
Audio Smoothing off
Target Volume: 8
Volume: 10
Ground: Normal (Difficult when normal to hot, dug a lot of ground noise signals in normal but popped some really deep targets that vanished in difficult)
Gold Mode: General (I realise HY would be best but when in normal, General gave less ground noise)
Sensitivity: 8-12 in normal and 12-16 in difficult
Threshold: 10-15 (I really like running the Z with less threshold than most and realise this is not for everyone)

I realise most would not be able to run these settings because of EMI or really hot ground but along with Norvic the more conservative volume settings really help with the Z19. And sensitive, walking around with a nearly 2kg 19 inch coil you would think lead shots and sub gram nuggets would not be a problem but they are and it hits them hard and at some remarkable depths.

Now we`ve established the 19 is no dud, in fact tis magic to this old fart, how do we get more depth out of it? Up the sensitivity and volume but then how do you hear those quiet deep signals. External booster? Go to difficult? Crikey never satisfied, just gotta keep trying fiddling with those settings, but it is down there we know for sure?

I`m not talking just about those ozers, rather in particular those bread and butter grammers.

1483142652_dsc00398.jpg

This one was with above settings, depth was a little hard to measure as the ground here is covered in football sized rocks actual coil to target was more than likely 2 foot + but actual hole was about 18 inches and piece was on it's edge and under 2 very large rocks 29 grams. Very subtle signal and thought ground noise before removing surface rocks, DIG EVERYTHING.

Latest posts